RC Qualifier

Any Photograhers out there??? Question???

I'm considering buying an DSLR either a D5000 or a T2i, maybe even a D90.....

Anyway, my question is for taking candid pictures of family on the holidays...
    Shooting in aperture priority mode what would be the best aperture to get simular results to a point and shoot camera would give. Should I set it around F/20
    or closer to F/12???????

I mainly want to avoid ruined pictures; I know the higher the aperture the slower shutter speed becomes, making camera blur more likely.
    Thanks In Advance!!!
    "A good engine, is worth the price of ignition"

RC Champion
    Why not use the auto mode and you shouldn't go wrong as long as you focus your shot with the half click...
    Thrash It, Bash it, Break it, No Regrets!!!

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    If you want to be sure the pictures are at least as good as your point and shoot and not risk them getting ruined, use full auto mode. Experiment with the other modes on less important pictures until learn enough to use the manual or priority settings with your important personal pics.
    Just my 2 cents.
    The one thing I learned from the Photographer I have on staff is that its not the camera that takes good pics. Its the operator. When he started at my company he had a lower end Olympus DSLR and took some absolutely stunning pics. His setup is far more advanced (ie: best of the best) now... but his knowledge of the camera and his eye for what looks good was what made the pics great.
    Also, if you want a great setup, save a bit on the camera body and spend more on a better lens... most kit lenses arent great... that was his advise for buying equipment.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by DaTMaxx View Post
    I know the higher the aperture the slower shutter speed becomes, making camera blur more likely.
    Thanks In Advance!!![/B]
    What's the smallest aperture opening I could go too. Without the shutter speed becoming slow enough to cause blur?
    Should I watch Shutter speeds on the half click and keep them above 1/60th or 1/125th
    or a different certain number
    Last edited by DaTMaxx; 11-16-2010 at 09:50 PM.

RC Champion
    You will never get any better with a DSLR shooting in Auto mode.

If you are taking pictures of several people, a lower f stop number will focus more on the subject or person, and blur the background. A larger f stop will have a deeper depth of field and the background will be more in focus, but will defocus the subject more. Will still give you a good shot, just not as good.

Most kit lenses can't go real low, like 1.8, just try different settings. Lighting is everything when you shoot in manual modes. I hate using flash, but when I do I use an external flash.

I'm a newb, but here is a picture of my son at f8. My lens wouldn't go any lower for the lighting I had. Still turned out great I think..

And this was on a D40 with the cheap 18-55 lens too

Last edited by boomgagem; 11-16-2010 at 10:06 PM.
    Don't mess with the Cyber Bully

RC Champion
    And no Aperture has nothing to do with shutter speed. You can go full manual and shoot however you want. But when you shoot in Aperture mode the camera will adjust the shutter speed to make the best picture with the available lighting.
    Don't mess with the Cyber Bully

RC Champion
    Don't own this camera, but check out the FujiFilm HS10. It's relatively new and looks very nice with a manual 30X optical zoom, full HD with up to 1,000 fps video recording.... all for only $400 brand new! Not sure if you are experienced with photography, but this is an intriguing product indeed.
    Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

RC poster
    I really like my D90. I just wish I was smart enough to use it!! I have a saltwater tank and wanted a good camera to take macro shoots with. So I planed on taking a class or two to learn how to use it. My work schedule changed so I have yet to take a class. I practice with it every now and then.

RC poster
    Busselton, Western Australia... but where in Busselton... that's what we do not know...
    My Dad is a professional landscape photographer of the SouthWest Western Austalian area. He mainly does sunsets around the coastal area. But some people are requesting inland photography so that will be a focus for a while.

He uses a Nikon D300, but is looking to buy the a newer one that is to be released soon, is it the D700? He said it would be around $4000. That;s a lot, eh? The pics from his D300 are astoundingly good, and editing in photoshop is always a must (he doesn't go mad, mostly tries to bring the images back to life). I use that camera occasionally for my own photography; automotive photography. The photos I get from car shows in the local area are great, but they always look a tonne better after I edit them....
    Can you break a Rusty?
    Uhh... No, no, you can't.

What's the smallest aperture opening I could go too. Without the shutter speed becoming slow enough to cause blur?
    Should I watch Shutter speeds on the half click and keep them above 1/60th or 1/125th
    or a different certain number
    This would be very dependent on the location you are shooting at. A room with darker colors and so so lighting it going to require a larger diameter apeture than a room with bright colors and brighter lighting.

I would suggest something like a 200 ASA setting, adjust your shutter speed to be not too slow so you can capture the candid shot and set the apeture accordingly. Without a light meter and knowing specifics about the location you can only goby the basic rules of thumb.

1st set your ASA
    2nd set your shutter speed
    3rd adjust your lens F stop/apeture.
    All Lives Matter
    United We Stand, Divided We Fall

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitronaught View Post
    1st set your ASA
    2nd set your shutter speed
    3rd adjust your lens F stop/apeture.
    Nitronaught,
    Would it be a better ideal to use shutter priority on the holiday's than.
    So I can pick a fast enough shutter speed to reduce chance of camera blur???
    If so, Any suggestion's for a candid shooting shutter speed...Maybe 1/1600 Sec.??????

RC Competitor
    The question is a little to vague to give any specific advise in my opinion. What are the shooting conditions? Indoor or outdoor? Like others have said, the lens is extremely important and will have a significant impact on you ability to take the kind of pictures you want.

If you're shooting indoors you will not be getting anywhere near 1/1600 (typically used for very fast action). That would be something that you would see in very bright sunlight. There are some general charts out there that make suggestions for shutter speed for certain things, i.e. 1/200 would be reasonable for stopping someone walking. Based on the questions being asked, I would say that using a fully automatic setting would be the way to go right now. The cameras these days are very smart and are likely to produce better images than most amateurs can in a manual mode.

I currently am using a Canon D30 with a 17-85 USM IS lens. I typically shoot in program mode (fully auto, though easy to manipulate). For candid shots, it's tough to beat the simplicity and speed of a good camera in auto (program) mode.
    Stampede VXL
    Rustler VXL
    Nitro 4Tec VXL

Nitronaught,
    Would it be a better ideal to use shutter priority on the holiday's than.
    So I can pick a fast enough shutter speed to reduce chance of camera blur???
    If so, Any suggestion's for a candid shooting shutter speed...Maybe 1/1600 Sec.??????
    I can't tell you what would be the optimum shutter speed. The slower the better for picture quality, but too slow with any motion and it will be blurred. Too fast and you lose Depth of Field.

Like I said, if you are in a bright room everything is going to be different. Also it is extremely different with using a flash (highly recommended in your situation).

Best thing to do is like I said, use ASA 200, then go into the different locations ahead of time and take some shots. Follow the basic rules. Take those practice shots way ahead of time so no one will suspect anything.

Of coarse the slower the shutter speed and the more open you can have the apeture you capture more information. But there has to be a balance.
    All Lives Matter
    United We Stand, Divided We Fall

RC Qualifier
    Now Which two to buy is the question?
    I can't afford to buy a 800mm lens
    So I was going to get one of the SLR's here
    and pair with the SX30IS point and shoot for more Distant Subjects.
    Any Suggestions???
    Combination family candids
    and wildlife photograhpy

SX30IS 800mm equivlent

D90
    D5000
    T2i
    Last edited by DaTMaxx; 11-18-2010 at 06:20 PM.

RC Champion
    I personally use a Canon powershot sx210 is and a Canon 7d which I am learining about. I would go for the T2I out of those choices and save up for a better lens or shop BestBuy and grab a zoom lens for less than 300$. Tamron and Sigma make some great quality lenses at a cheaper price then Nikon or Canon.
    Thrash It, Bash it, Break it, No Regrets!!!

RC Qualifier
    Another thing to remember is the flash, and what's in front of it. You might be shooting a pic of Aunt Martha across the room, but if her kid is closer to the camera/flash, the light will reflect off him first, and only expose him, without lighting Auntie.

Full auto will give good results. The fact that the sensor is larger than that of a point & shoot will make an improvement in the quality of the pics. Camera bodies are important, as are sensors, but don't buy cheap glass. A good lens is very important to the end product.
    Censorship is wrong