RC Champion

On-Board Glow Warmer

I don't know if anyone has seen this before, but I just discovered it and thought it was so cool that I just had to write a post about it!

http://switchglo.com/shop/product_in...products_id=29

It is an on-board glow warmer that is powered by existing on-board batteries (4v to 9v). You push the button, and it sends electricity to the glow plug for a set number of seconds, and has an audible glow indicator so you know when it is on. They also sell an extender with a button on it, which allows more varied mounting options, and they sell an LED module that lights up along with the audible signal when the device is sending juice to the plug. In my opinion, it is a little pricey at $35, but then again it is sooo cool. There is a more advanced version that is activated by an available radio channel, but this is more for aircraft.

If the EZ Start was removed, and a pull-starter was installed along with this on-board glow warmer, you wouldn't have to carry any additional starting aids! It would all be on-board. This is tempting, I am thinking about doing it, but it might be hard on my back (I'm not sure if it would bother it), and I would have to teach my father and brother how to use it (the ease of the EZ Start has been good for this reason). Even if you use the EZ Start to spin your engine, but use a separate glow warmer, this would be something good to buy to eliminate carrying a piece of gear which you have to worry about keeping charged.
    Oh where'd you go, Joe DiMaggio?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Wouldn't it drain your receiver pack in a hurry?
    Speed costs money, how fast do you want to go?

RC Turnbuckle Jr. NStampede Freak's Avatar
    Well, the receiver pack is 6V at 1100MAH, so 6 x1.1 = 6.6 watts of total power. The glow plug take 1.2V at around 1 amp so that's 1.2 watts of power. Theoretically, you would be able to run the glow plug for around 5.5 hours on a receiver pack. It depends how efficient the voltage reducing circuity is in it though.
    Last edited by NStampede Freak; 11-18-2010 at 07:08 AM.
    N Stampede 2.5R
    E Stampede VXL
    Tmaxx 2.5

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by NStampede Freak View Post
    Well, the receiver pack is 6V at 1100MAH, so 6 x1.1 = 6.6 watts of total power. The glow plug take 1.2V at around 1 amp so that's 1.2 watts of power. Theoretically, you would be able to run the glow plug for around 5.5 hours on a receiver pack. It depends how efficient the voltage reducing circuity is in it though.
    The device looks tiny, so I guess it uses PWM to reduce and regulate the voltage to the plug. A glow plug draws about 2-2.5 amps. So we're closer to 3 watts of power, plus we shouldn't forget about running the radio gear which could include high torque servos. I guess if you don't have any troubles starting and keeping the truck running it would work out. But it could cut your fun short if you have "one of those days" starting and tuning your engine.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by arceeguy View Post
    The device looks tiny, so I guess it uses PWM to reduce and regulate the voltage to the plug. A glow plug draws about 2-2.5 amps. So we're closer to 3 watts of power, plus we shouldn't forget about running the radio gear which could include high torque servos. I guess if you don't have any troubles starting and keeping the truck running it would work out. But it could cut your fun short if you have "one of those days" starting and tuning your engine.
    I agree.... Its not a bad idea and Losi has something like that in their stadium truck.. I still love the EZ start and personally I don't see a need to reinvent the wheel so to speak.. If your engine is running well, then why not.. The airplane guys have used these for years with good results.. I can see it working with my React radio via the 4th channel.. If I could make the starting motor remote controlled then I would be set... Hmmmm gets me thinking agian which usually gets me in trouble.. Anybody see my Credit Card...
    Maxx3.3/ rusty5700/ slash3800/ slash5700 /4tec3.3

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    The airplane guys use the type that can be controlled by the radio so they can set the warmer to turn on at idle speeds.(it goes in between the receiver and throttle servo) This will help prevent the engine from stalling when the pilot throttles down. In a RC truck, an engine stall is a mere inconvenience, in a plane, it is a mandatory landing. (soft or not!) Maybe running it on a separate small and light LiPo battery will fix any concerns about draining the main receiver pack! (Two of these in parallel for 1300mAh?)

RC Turnbuckle Jr. NStampede Freak's Avatar
    I think it's a good idea regardless. I would probably recommend a 1500MAH receiver pack though. Or even a lipo receiver pack would be even better.

It sure would eliminate the hassle of carrying around a glow driver when you go bashing.

I may buy one in the future and give it a shot. My nitro pede has a pull starter on it now and I have a good spot to mount it.
    N Stampede 2.5R
    E Stampede VXL
    Tmaxx 2.5

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Like cenracer1 I use the EZ start on my Traxxas nitro's. One button goodness.

However, the on board glow ignitor may make sense for people with a pullstart.

RC Champion
    Anybody else notice the pic of it is on a t-maxx
    I think i might have to get one of these. I use a glow igniter and ez start, the motor starts easier with igniter than EZ start glow igniter.
    Nothin' like a 4 on the floor and a V8

RC Champion
    Yeah, that is a T-MAXX. Or at least a truck with a T-MAXX suspension? How do they have that thing set up? The pipe is one the opposite side that it normally is, they have those cool battery and radio boxes on there, the throttle servo is in an interesting position, and it looks like there is some type of mud guard on the side. Maybe a battery tray from an electric model? Pretty far out.

As far as the issue of draining your receiver pack and ruining your fun if you have "one of those days", I already carry a AA battery holder that I use to charge my transmitter batteries, so I just throw eight alkaline AA cells into my bag and take them with me just in case. If my receiver pack goes dead, or I forget to charge it, I have a backup plan. Those AA cells are also the backup plan in case my transmitter batteries go dead or I forget to charge them.
    Last edited by Petox20; 11-20-2010 at 01:02 AM.

RC Enthusiast
    I'm pretty sure that there is a system for total remote start.

That's an Team Associated MGT 8.0/4.6 monster truck.

That is a cool idea tho, I may have to give trying one a thought.
    Look out for the tree/crunch!

LiPo? Naw NITRO!!

RC Champion
    Louisiana but originally from Ottawa, Canada
    If I had the cash on hand I would for sure give it a try, and I think I would do what someone said about getting a small flat pack and use it instead of my hump pack to power it.

If it works like it suppose to I will be getting one, probly after xmas
    T-Maxx Predator 3.3
    Shockwave 36

RC Champion
    And hey, they have a 30 day money back guarantee. I'll have to look at the actual wording, but if it is a satisfaction guaranteed type of deal, then there isn't really any risk in trying it. And if it drains your receiver pack at an unacceptable rate, then send it back.

*Edit* - Just something to note, if you were trying to create a remote push-button starting system, you wouldn't be able to use this model (the Push Glo). You would have to use the other model they make (the Switch Glo Pro).

Quote Originally Posted by arceeguy View Post

Yeah it might drain your receiver pack faster than normal, but it shouldn't be that bad since it is only engaged for a small period of time and not constantly. I would want a god capacity receiver pack if I was using that though.. I just use a glow ignitor to keep things simple. But that's just me.
    All Lives Matter
    United We Stand, Divided We Fall

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitronaught View Post
    Yeah it might drain your receiver pack faster than normal, but it shouldn't be that bad since it is only engaged for a small period of time and not constantly. I would want a god capacity receiver pack if I was using that though.. I just use a glow ignitor to keep things simple. But that's just me.
    Ah, yes: KISS. That rule in my opinion is a good one, but for some reason I just can't seem to follow it . In a way, though, this does simplify things by eliminating an extra battery that needs to be charged and monitored. And I can't imagine this using up too much power if you can get the engine started in a reasonable amount of time and keep it running. But I'll still carry the alkaline AA cells as a backup plan just in case.