Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    RC Competitor

good steering servo

hi guys i recently broke one of my steering servos is there any other water proof sterring servos that are better then the stock ones?

Well, if you're looking for waterproof, I don't know of any option other than the Hitec HS-5646WP, which is also digital and has metal gears. The specs aren't quite as good as a 2075, except for being metal-geared.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Competitor
    im looking at the hitec 7990 they say there water resistant? when they say water resistant do they mean yer i could wash the mud off with a hose?

Quote Originally Posted by lukebro447 View Post
    im looking at the hitec 7990 they say there water resistant? when they say water resistant do they mean yer i could wash the mud off with a hose?
    pretty much... you can seal them up to make them more water resistant with liquid tape or plastic dip but first take the top off and add grease to help resist the water getting in there.check youtube for squirrel's vids on water proofing
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Competitor
    should i run 2 of these in my summit or will one be enough

they are around 500oz at 6v that should do the job.i would think one should do it the stocks are only 125 oz each you may have to beef up the servo saver so that it doesn't just get overpowered by that monster
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Competitor
    ill run two for the fun of it

RC Qualifier
    ill run two for the fun of it
    Go ahead, but nobody runs or needs to run two of them at that much power. It's severe overkill, but so is MMM and 6s in a Summit so it may fit right in. Probably need to get a external BEC to run two or you will burn out the ESC.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Indeed- two digital servos of that strength will suck some serious current, may cause brown outs if you get the wheels stuck and try turning them/ in mud. One servo of that spec is more than enough

/sensible.
    Keeping the Mods busy is my specialty...

"Note that the HS-M7990TH is about 10% larger than a standard servo such as the HS-7950TH."
    For the said 7950:
    "Current Drain (4.8V): 220mA/idle and 3.8 amps at lock/stall"
    "Current Drain (6.0V): 300mA/idle and 4.8 amps at lock/stall"
    So the question is... what is the amp draw at its maximum 7.4V, and how much MORE is the 7990?
    You'd need something like a CC BEC Pro to safely run two. Now you're just being silly.

RC Competitor
    will i need a bec to run 2 of em with the original esc?

RC Competitor
    ok if i run just one of them will i need a bec?
    also instead of going the 7990 should i go twin 7950's?

The reason most people have gone to one high power servo is not so much as needed crazy amounts of torque.Thats just going to bend or break stuff and suck huge amounts of power.The reason i am running single is with the dual it was a pain to keep them adjusted so they don't fight each other trying to center and burn themselves out and a bit more tourque because i'm running 8.26' tall weighted tires.On the rocks the stockers didn't stand a chance
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

Yes, to get the most out of one servo you will need an external BEC (UBEC).

No, if you don't mind sacrificing the waterproof feature, you should go with ONE 7950.

Then again, there IS that Seiko servo with about 1200 oz-in of torque. Hahaha!

RC Competitor
    i have decided to go the 7980th instead of a bec how do i plug a 2s lipo into it

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    You cant run a 7.4v servo from a 2s lipo directly as the lipo has a voltage of 8.4v freshly charged; you would need to add in a voltage regulator & another LVC to protect the extra lipo powering the servo.

I would suggest sticking with the easier to wire up external BEC, connected like so:

just dont cut the spare signal wire, simply remove it from the rx plug and tape over it ( you will need to connect the bec to your castlelink to program the output voltage before installing it ).
    Last edited by Dadx2mj; 11-23-2010 at 06:51 PM.

RC poster
    Is there any special way to mount a single 7950th? Or do you just put it in one of the 2075 spots? And will the screw holes match up or will I need to make modifications? Thanks.

PS If you can refer me to any pics that would be great!

RC Competitor
    i have the same qurstion with the 7980

check the measurements on the site they usually give you all the dimensions you may have to enlarge the holes on the servo to get it/them to fit.On the ******* i ordered thats what i will have to do as well
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Well, its well known that traxxas uses slightly larger servos than the accepted 'standard' size ( specifically holes/ mounting pattern ), so I would suggest measuring up one of your stockers carefully ( calipers are good, otherwise a good ruler ) and comparing the measurements to the listed specs for the hitec servo ( and any others that catch your eye ):

http://www.hitecrcd.co.jp/RC/servo/pdf/HS-7950TH%20.pdf

39.88 x 20.07 x 38.10mm- the 7980 is listed as 43.69 x 22.35 x 39.88mm. That means the mounting holes will be about 3.5mm further apart on the 7980 vs the listed distance for the 7950 in that .pdf. Compare that to your stocker and see how far out it will be; 1-2mm wont hurt, but closer to 5mm will make life awkward...

So far as mounting procedure goes, it installs just like normal- hitecs use a different spline pattern vs the traxxas servo output shaft, so you will need to pickup an optional kit of servo horn adaptors or just use one of the horns supplied with the hitex servo ( trim shorter if needed ).

RC Competitor
    i dont get how you can plug the bec into the servo as the plugs are both male plugs? and as for the yellow wire coming of the servo? whats that about

RC Competitor
    also can i run 2 servos of one bec? if so how do i do it and if not how do i hook up 2 becs becasue i was thinking of running twin 7950s. Would i be hard to line them up so they work with eachother and not work against eachother

RC Qualifier
    also can i run 2 servos of one bec? if so how do i do it and if not how do i hook up 2 becs becasue i was thinking of running twin 7950s. Would i be hard to line them up so they work with eachother and not work against eachother
    What??? You are right back to where you were 2 days ago. You don't need 2 of them!!!

Stock servos are 125 oz/in each for 250 total. One 7950 on 7.4v is 486oz/in, or 400oz/in on 6.0v. That's already double the power of stock. Combine that with the ability to run a much stronger, or none at all, servo saver and you will have closer to 3x the power going to turn the wheels. Running two servos requires getting, and keeping, them adjusted so they don't fight each other. If you get it wrong they will sit there and try to draw almost 10 amps together and burn up.

RC Racer
    i dont get how you can plug the bec into the servo as the plugs are both male plugs? and as for the yellow wire coming of the servo? whats that about
    You need a female-to-female adaptor.
    The yellow wire coming out of the servo is the "signal wire," basically tells the servo which direction to move.

You don't need two BECs, all you need is a "Y-harness" to plug into the BEC which basically gives you the ability to plug twp items into the same port.
    Honestly, unless you find it a neccesity (as someone else mentioned) it's more trouble than it's worth trying to run dual servos, as they tend to fight against each other since one's turning one direction and the other is turning the other direction. Usually people have issues with getting them to remain centered, even using higher dollar digital servos.

As someone else suggested, the best thing to do when upgrading servos is just make sure you choose a higher torque model than the stocker, preferrably with metal gears, that's roughly the same case size - and resist the urge to do all the other stuff.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by cubsfan2010 View Post
    what??? You are right back to where you were 2 days ago. You don't need 2 of them!!!

Stock servos are 125 oz/in each for 250 total. one 7950 on 7.4v is 486oz/in, or 400oz/in on 6.0v. That's already double the power of stock. Combine that with the ability to run a much stronger, or none at all, servo saver and you will have closer to 3x the power going to turn the wheels. Running two servos requires getting, and keeping, them adjusted so they don't fight each other. If you get it wrong they will sit there and try to draw almost 10 amps together and burn up.
    bingo!!!! :d

RC Competitor
    so what i need is a female servo plug so i can plug the bec into the servo but then i have to pop out the yellow wire from the male plug on the servo and put it into another male plug to run to the esc

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Grab a regular servo Y-harness with 2 female connectors & one male. Plug the BEC into one female connector, the servo into the other, then remove the red & black wires from the male connector & plug it ( the male connector and remaining white/yellow wire ) into the receiver, remove the yellow/white wire from the BEC section of the harness; job done. Now, wire up the BEC to one of your main battery packs for power ( a 2s lipo or 7cell nimh ) as per the diagram above and you have completed the installation.
    Last edited by ArmyofDarkness; 11-25-2010 at 03:51 PM.

Just installed a single ******* hv767 345oz at 6v 427oz at 7.4v It seems to be plenty stong enough and was about 60 bucks bolted right in. Coreless motor and titanium gears.I think I'm gonna like being able to turn the crushers when i need them to turn.It turned them at a standstill on carpet never done that before
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    ^I've good things from a couple guys about the ******* HV servos, they are incredibly good value and look well made servos..

What really suprised me was how quiet it is.If the wheels weren't turning i'd think it didn't work.Not that it's important to me
    but now i can hear the other squeaks and groans
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Competitor
    can u hook your bec straight up to a 2s lipo or do you have to hook it up to your esc batterys what i saying is instead of durring power away from my motor could i run it own seperate battery if so how many mah should i get

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Durring? You ment drawing I take it ( type slower, check your post before hitting the reply button ).

You can hook the BEC directly to a seperate 2s lipo technically, but you have to use a voltage regulator to reduce the voltage from 8.4v to a constant 7.4v, you also need another LVC to prevent the lipo from over discharging just like normal; i already said this to you before in very clear English- please read people's posts more carefully to avoid asking the same questions over & over again ( post #16 ). Given the lack of places to put the extra lipo, BEC, voltage reg & LVC, I dont think you'll have much luck going this route, but if you insist on pesisting, then look up some lipo RX packs on HK for a rough idea of your options.

If you went with the BEC Pro, you could wire it to both min batts so it drew current equally from both of them; you arent going to loose much runtime given the servo only draws 5amps at stall ( would take an hour to drain a 5000mah lipo by which time the servo would probably be fubar ), I wouldnt worry too much really- it'll run fine from just 6v though a glitch buster capacitor ( google it ) would help prevent the rx from browning out if you ran it directly from there vs an external bec.

RC Competitor
    isnt the becs job to draw just enough power for the servo? so if i solder my bec wires to the esc wires there for it will be running of my 2 9000mah maxamps 2s lipos running in series would it be the same as plugging it into its own seperate battery as the voltage is the same anyway?

RC Competitor
    also will be stock servos crap out if i try to use them with my rc4wd roc locs with axial rocksters

also will be stock servos crap out if i try to use them with my rc4wd roc locs with axial rocksters
    Pretty much for sure.The stock servo's were not designed to turn that much tire moving they'll do it but crawling they won't last very long.The stock tires killed mine The rock loc's are huge and pretty heavy you will have to get stronger servo/s
    with metal gears.I've gone through a few cheaper ones.kershaws,crushers killed em towerpro crushers killed em I'm now on a single ******* high power titanium geared.bolted in it has lots of power and no adjusting to prevent fighting and premature death,I hope
    Last edited by jamann; 11-27-2010 at 01:17 AM.
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Competitor
    i no alot of people on here are saying dont run twin 7950s just run one but i would rather buy 2 and have super good steering then buy 1 and for it to be good better the standard but not awesome

i no alot of people on here are saying dont run twin 7950s just run one but i would rather buy 2 and have super good steering then buy 1 and for it to be good better the standard but not awesome
    too much power is not gonna help unless you beef up or remove the servo saver.and since your gonna run 40 series locs thats going to compound the problem.remove servo saver then start snapping the plastic arms as i have done twice with a much less powerful servo.so upgrade the steering bell crank to metal.then the next part in the chain is stressed the linkages will start getting ripped out.So you upgrade those....etc.but in the end it is your truck to do with as you wish.Just my meager experience with the steering issues when you run bigger tires.just like a 1:1 truck bigger tires means changing gear ratio and better drive shafts better axles stronger brakes better suspension.So in essence if you change one thing you have to consider what else is affected by said change
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Competitor
    with my 40 series rock locs and my 3 inch axle extenders what servo do you guys recomend in the hitec range

RC Champion
    with my 40 series rock locs and my 3 inch axle extenders what servo do you guys recomend in the hitec range
    I used the HiTec 7980, had to slightly modify the mounting holes on the servo with a dremel to get it to bolt in, but it fit the servo hole in the Summit chassis nice and tight. It was very easy to mount. Quickly looking at the specs I don't even see a difference between the 7980 and 7990 so I would stay with the 7980 IMO.

If you use a external BEC you could simply disconnect the red and black(I think they might be Orange/Black on the hitec) lead at the Rx box and splice the BEC leads to the same Orange and black wires, instead of powering the whole Rx at 7.2 volts(would let the smoke out of the Rx). Then just set the BEC at 7.2 volts, for extreme torque.

This shows standard wiring of a external BEC. You would be running the leads to the servo instead of the Rx.
    http://scriptasylum.com/rc_speed/_pi...20lvc_1.gif~18

Post # 16 shows the best way for hooking the BEC to the Servo.
    You would gain nothing by adding extra batteries to your Summit for powering the BEC, other than unnecessary weight. Not to mention one more battery to have to charge before you can play
    Last edited by quadiak; 11-27-2010 at 09:34 AM.
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread.php?536733

you may or may not also run into issues with the extenders.a member here was running them and took them off as they were causing problems search for posts from nasty350lt1
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast