RC Competitor

Need help Identifying an T-Maxx

Hello
    I need some help identifying a T-Maxx that I bought off eBay.
    I have not received it yet but the seller sent me this picture.

I want to know if it is a 3.3 chassis or just a 2.5 with an 3.3 motor on it?
    Also did the 3.3 come with plastic pipes?
    Any help would be great

Thanks
    E3

3.3 Revo,T-Maxx ,1/16 E-Revo,2.5 4Tec

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Looks like a T-Maxx 2.5 with a 3.3 engine.

A 3.3 would have grey colored plastic parts, sealed u-joints on the driveshafts, optidrive system, etc.

And yes, the 3.3 came with a plastic pipe from the factory.
    Speed costs money, how fast do you want to go?

RC Qualifier
    that engine^^^^ is a 2.5r. umm pretty sure!
    you must be fast, you were right behind me

RC Competitor
    Hey your right After some looking around at other pictures it looks to be a 2.5R

My next question is did the 2.5R come in a T-Maxx or is it only an after market Traxxas engine? The only pictures I can find of the engine is out of trucks?

I only paid $135 for the truck so I souldn't get hurt to bad on it I hope

Thanks
    E3

If it is a runner for $135 that's not a bad deal. Looks pretty clean. My guess is that it is an older model, maybe the 5310 as it has phillips screws rather than the hex and the older style slipper clutch system.
    The Super Derecho

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by EARRNHARDT3 View Post
    My next question is did the 2.5R come in a T-Maxx or is it only an after market Traxxas engine? The only pictures I can find of the engine is out of trucks?
    There was a T-Maxx 2.5R but it had the gray transmission and the newer Revo spec shafts.
    Revo.27TX/Jato.18/Maxx523/Maxx3.3/GMAXX/Rusty/ERBE

RC Champion
    Traxxas does sell the supposedly more efficient blue cooling head that you can buy and put onto a TRX 2.5 engine. Based on the rest of the truck, I think there is a good chance this is the case.
    Oh where'd you go, Joe DiMaggio?

RC Competitor
    Ok Thanks for the info guys. This will be the second T-Maxx that I have ever owned my first was the first 3.3 T-Maxx it was so fast and top heavy I had a hard time keeping it on its wheels. So I sold it. I have so many R/C trucks now I am not sure why I need any other.

T-Maxx ? (from above)
    Revo 3.3
    1/16 Revo
    2.5 4-TEC
    Savage 25SS
    Savage 4.6 X
    Wheely King
    two Clod Busters
    Tam Frog
    Axial SCX10

RC Champion
    That is such a shame that you sold that T-MAXX just because it was top heavy. There's so much you can do to tune that out. For one, you can get 3.2 inch wheels and tires for the rims (I really don't like the change that Traxxas made by including the taller 3.8 inch wheels, I've tried them and they raise the center of gravity too much). But you don't even have to do that. Playing around with the suspension so that the a-arms are level and the shocks are more appropriately tuned (the shocks are way too soft the way they come from the factory). I've even put a custom sway-bar setup on my truck (I learned of the basic design on the forum). You should have come on here for advice before you sold it .

*Edit* - Just judging from looking at them, those shocks you have on this truck are probably going to need to be tuned. They have the stock soft springs on them (they might have different shock fluid, but I doubt it). I highly recommend buying a set of eight Trinity light blue springs. I had my shocks set up with the stock red springs on one shock for each of the two front corners, and the other six shocks had the Trinity springs. I had 50wt fluid in the front shocks and 60wt in the rear shocks. This was great for on-road and light off-road duty. It made the truck handle so much better than the stock setup (stock red springs and 30wt fluid). That's just a suggestion to give you an idea on where to go, though; the best advice I can give you is that if you can to get an assortment of springs and viscosities of shock fluid so that you can experiment with what works best. Oh, and you really should read all three of Steve Slayden's Pit Pass articles on the T-MAXX. They're free, so just take the time to read them.
    Last edited by Petox20; 11-27-2010 at 03:21 AM.
    Oh where'd you go, Joe DiMaggio?

That is definitely a 2.5 chassis, the exhaust cutout in the chassis plate was never on the 2.5r TMAXX's. Plus the black tranny and all the plastic is black like Petox mentioned.

The only difference between the 2.5 and 2.5r engines (except for the very old 2.5 engines pre-2.5r days) is the cooling head. Everything else is the same. I bought my first TMAXX as a new 2.5 and added the Blue Powertuned cooling head. Well worth it IMHO. Made tuning much easier and more stable temps.
    All Lives Matter
    United We Stand, Divided We Fall