RC poster

tmaxx transmission surging problem

Ok, I have an older 2.5 chassis that I've have upgraded to a complete 3.3, also upgraded transmission input shaft to the 3.3 and clutch assembly. I've been having this issue even before the engine swap that the tranny will click and surge while at idle, as if the gears are binding. I've adjusted the slipper clutch to try and resolve it and no changes. I also had to replace some internal gears due to wasting them, but no change otherwise. When I accelerate, it drives and shifts normal, this is only going on at very low rpm and idle. Is there any centrifugal clutches inside the transmission causing this?

Also on another note, since the engine swap, I've been twisting the heck out of my driveshafts front and rear including the ones coming from the transmission, I replaced the centers with the Traxxas 4949r CVD and only the rear will fit, any ideas.

Thanks for your time.

RC Qualifier
    is the tranny black with reverse?if so that may be normal.some call it bucking.

RC poster
    yes it is, its the origional 2.5 tranny. no way to fix it?

RC Champion
    Louisiana but originally from Ottawa, Canada
    Yes you can fix it there is a no buck mod, but most just do away with the rev, and go with FOC..
    T-Maxx Predator 3.3
    Shockwave 36

Either go forward only or search the T-Maxx forum for the no-buck mod to the tranny.
    The Super Derecho

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Chewie View Post
    Also on another note, since the engine swap, I've been twisting the heck out of my driveshafts front and rear including the ones coming from the transmission, I replaced the centers with the Traxxas 4949r CVD and only the rear will fit, any ideas.
    I'm pretty sure the 4949r is only for the t maxx 3.3, I'm not sure about the part number for the other driveshafts but I think traxxas makes them

RC Racer
    a revo spec center can be cut down to fit. won't twist and snap so easy.
    formerly 1bigemaxx, now more nitro than not!

RC poster
    thanks for the replies, I might just go with the FOC mod, at least Im not alone when it comes to this issue.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    To eliminate the bucking and jerking, you'll need to get the idle lower. This requires a sharp tune on the LSN so the engine doesn't stall out. As mentioned, there is a modification you can do so the transmission is constantly engaged. Search for "no buck mod" and you'll find a lot more information. It makes it so that the idle speed doesn't need to be perfect for switching between forward/reverse. (but it does need to be within reason)

I don't race, I just bash around - and I like the convenience of reverse. It was one of the major innovations in nitro RC when the T-Maxx was introduced. One way to help get a steady, reliable low idle is to buy a MIP heavyweight steel flywheel. All of my TRX engines have them.

http://miponline.com/store/mip3079.html
    Speed costs money, how fast do you want to go?

RC Qualifier
    My 2.5 Maxx did buck and surge right out of the box, Break-in went perfect and the tune seemed to be right on the money. Within 2 weeks I had done the FOC, after GOOD advice from folks here, and from that moment on .... perfect.
    US Navy retired, now - FAA air traffic controller