RC Champion

Which MIP Clutch?

I'm making up my Christmas list , and I'm looking at MIP's parts. I'm getting their heavyweight flywheel on arceeguy's recommendation, and I'm also getting an MIP clutch. Which one do you guys think would be better to get, the one with plastic clutch shoes or aluminum clutch shoes? I have seen many people with the plastic ones, and that seems to be the way to go, but I want to be sure. Also, is there anything else I should get from them? Thanks in advance for any information .
    Oh where'd you go, Joe DiMaggio?

RC Champion
    Or would it be better to get one of the Traxxas flywheels intended to be used with a starter box (the intent is to use a heavier flywheel)? If so, which would be the one to get, the 30mm or the 40mm flywheel? I would guess the 30mm as to add some extra mass, but not too much extra.

RC Champion
    Oh, never mind about the 30mm and 40mm Traxxas flywheels. I realize now that they are not heavier than stock.

RC Enthusiast
    from reading previous posts , most of the knowledge on here seem to favour plastic 3 shoe I believe

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    FWIW, I'm not a big fan of aluminum clutch shoes. I just don't think aluminum is a proper clutch friction material...........
    Speed costs money, how fast do you want to go?

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by arceeguy View Post
    FWIW, I'm not a big fan of aluminum clutch shoes. I just don't think aluminum is a proper clutch friction material...........
    On the one hand, I see what you mean. But on the other hand, racers wouldn't use aluminum clutch shoes if there wasn't any merit to the material. From what I can gather, the aluminum shoes provide more bite, but need more maintenance. For my purposes, I don't think the extra maintenance is worth it. But I was curious if anyone had experience with aluminum shoes and thought that they were worth they extra work (as they are the same price). I'm going to get the composite MIP shoes... and a bunch of other stuff .

RC poster
    I love the MIP clutch. You can adjust it to take off smooth, or hard enough to flip over. The only problem is the spring that MIP gives you doesn't seat all the way around the dogs (egg shaped). This causes that spring to rub on the clutchbell in those spots and wear down quicker. So I put a new stock spring on and it fits perfect. I haven't had a problem with it since.
    Personally I'd recommend this clutch over the 3 shoe aluminum, not only because they are a pain to adjust, but I'm not too keen with using metal to metal contact to engage a gear that can spin close to 30,000 rpms.

Quote Originally Posted by arceeguy View Post
    The MIP carbon shoes (2 shoe kit) works very well. I'm not a fan of their CVD's but their clutch kit is very good IMHO. Been using them on both my TMAXX's bashing and racing. Aluminum clutches will grab better but you have to maintain them and they do wear out faster. I find aluminum shoes cause more stress on the CB bearings due to the grips and the CB getting a little hotter with the aluminum shoes. I have aluminum shoes on my truggy but use 2 aluminum and one carbon. They just grabbed too hard for my liking making it harder for me to control it on a tight, intricate and technical race track. Lot's of on and off the gas and brakes constantly.

The choice is really a personal preference IMHO. And going to a 3 shoe setup on a 3.3 is just overkill IMHO. So either go with something that does not require as much maintenance or go with something that grips really good but requires tearing down and cleaning up the aluminum shoes every 1/3 gallon.

Good to see you arceeguy!!
    Last edited by Nitronaught; 12-03-2010 at 09:02 AM.
    All Lives Matter
    United We Stand, Divided We Fall