RC Competitor

shock oil weights for all around

Have had the MERV for about a month and want to get shock oil to have on hand. For just running around parking lots, back yards, and small jumps etc, should I just keep the stock weight (think it's 30)? Also picked up a Summit VXL which looks to have 50-60 weight I think, I know it's a different forum, but would folks generally keep stock for that?

Last question, are some brands of oil better than other? Just assumed looking for Traxxas brand but local store doesn't have it.

Thanks!

A lot of people go to a much heavier oil than stock in the MERV, myself included. I run 70 weight oil in all four shocks.

I have never noticed any real difference between brands of shock oil.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadx2mj View Post
    A lot of people go to a much heavier oil than stock in the MERV, myself included. I run 70 weight oil in all four shocks.

I have never noticed any real difference between brands of shock oil.
    wow!!! i only use 45 weight and it works just fine.

RC Qualifier
    victoria BC bashing with my bud 1slash and racing with COR victoria
    i would suggest something around what dad said.
    1/16 revo
    slash 4x4
    some more but they wont fit

RC Enthusiast
    I run 70WT with Black and Tan Springs. Not too supple but awesome for bashing, Tough to set decent preload in these little shocks at least for my attempts.

RC Qualifier
    Busselton, Western Australia... but where in Busselton... that's what we do not know...
    I buy Team Associated shock oil off eBay. I run 40 in the front of my Rustler and 50 in the rear, works great..
    Can you break a Rusty?
    Umm...No...No, you can't.

RC Competitor
    What does Using different weights in the front and back do? Is it something about landing jumps or how it handles driving?

So it seems nobody said to stick with the stock 30 oil. Just got a mini summit too and that comes with 60 weight per the manual. Do you think that is good for that one or should it be higher too considering everyone is going heavier on the merv oil weight?
    1/16 E-Revo VXL
    1/16 Summit VXL

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie NYC View Post
    What does Using different weights in the front and back do? Is it something about landing jumps or how it handles driving?

So it seems nobody said to stick with the stock 30 oil. Just got a mini summit too and that comes with 60 weight per the manual. Do you think that is good for that one or should it be higher too considering everyone is going heavier on the merv oil weight?
    Just use 65-70 wt oil all around. I'm using GPM shocks they don't leak like the stock ones do since the bottom caps are threaded...
    HPI Vorza | Traxxas Summit | 1/16 Traxxas E-Revo

RC Competitor
    Is that 65-70 for merv and mini summit or just merv? Also assume meant front and back the same right?
    1/16 E-Revo VXL
    1/16 Summit VXL

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie NYC View Post
    Is that 65-70 for merv and mini summit or just merv? Also assume meant front and back the same right?
    65-70 for the merv front and back
    HPI Vorza | Traxxas Summit | 1/16 Traxxas E-Revo

RC Racer
    I race with 60wt all around. It is a matter of what you like and how you drive. Shock oil is cheap enough to experiment so you can come up with a combination that suites you.
    1/16Revo,1/16Slash,1/10Erevo,1/10Slash Spektrum+KO

RC Competitor
    Thanks. Out of curiosity what do people usually adjust first, shock oil weight or the colors of the springs which I assume are stiffness? How should a new person to this hobby think about one versus the other? Do most people keep stock springs?
    1/16 E-Revo VXL
    1/16 Summit VXL

Think about it this way, the spring carries the weight of the vehicle and the oil controls the spring. Without the shock oil the spring would bounce like a basket ball making the truck look like a pogo stick. The oil dampers this motion and keeps the springs from bouncing repeatedly and out of control. So the oil and spring should be matched or a stiffer spring requires a heavier shock oil and a softer spring a lighter shock oil.
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Competitor
    What shock setup are you running dad with your bb kit? My rear has black springs and are coiled all the way down (raised) and bottoms out due to the weight. Do I need even stiffer shocks and thicker oil? Or just thicker oil?
    It's not rape if you yell surprise!

Quote Originally Posted by Minimasta510 View Post
    What shock setup are you running dad with your bb kit? My rear has black springs and are coiled all the way down (raised) and bottoms out due to the weight. Do I need even stiffer shocks and thicker oil? Or just thicker oil?
    I am not running a big block, just a Mamba Max ESC with stock motor. I use Tan springs front and ear with 80 weight oil.
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Competitor
    Sorry and what brand?

Do u have any suggestions for a shock setup for the bb?
    Last edited by cooleocool; 05-22-2011 at 07:18 PM. Reason: merge
    It's not rape if you yell surprise!

I'm not picky about what brand of oil I use, I buy what the LHS has in stock in th eweight I am looking for.

I am not the guy to ask about a set up for a BB as I dont have one and have never set one up. someone who has first hand experience with a BB would be better guy to get recommendation from.
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power