Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    Gentlemen, I got it done. My wifes doing a spray tan for a girl in my living room so im not allowed down there right now and thats where my camera is but I took it out for a quick spin on the road in front of my house and sorted out some issues. A first it was super slow, then I realized that the way the motor was mounted it was running in reverse, so i swapped the motor wires, reversed the direction on mh transmitter and it flys now on 3s. Also of note, a venom 5000 mah 3S 35C battery fits in the tray with the extra included hold down no problem. Since these are the 3s batteries Ill be running till spc makes the one i want, im not going to use the Velcro straps. No need.

On my hot racing motor plate, i had to reverse the little heat sink parts to the other side of the plate or they would hit the 2650 motor. I also badly need to put some heavier weight oil (50wt) in the shocks and install the stock straight rate springs. The stock big bore oil and springs are way too soft. Other than this stuff, the truck is amazing. Very fast. I can't really drive it or bash it right now as everywhere i look there's 3 feet of snow. But if I can find a dry parking lot to setup my ramps ill get out and bash in the next week. I'll also have pics up of the finished truck this afternoon and of the body hopefully tonight or tomorrow night.

As promised, heres the completed chassis pics with the motor/esc and battery installed. To get the ESC to fit correctly I glued a thin foam pad to the chassis under the ESC and double sided taped the ESC to the foam pad. This raised it up the perfect height to clear the servo area (though the servo can still be removed no problem) Im not crazy about my motor wire routing right now. I think im going to rotate the motor 90 degrees to the outside of the chassis so the wires lay down in the chassis more. Ill do that when I refill the shocks. On to the pics....

Last edited by ksb51rl; 01-01-2011 at 11:56 PM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Grand National's Avatar
    Pave, that looks great man! Let me know how you like that Venom battery, I have a GC to tower so I figured why not. I really like how this build turned out, and I can't wait to see a running video of it!
    Last edited by Grand National; 12-27-2010 at 01:04 PM.
    Casper - 2001 Dodge Cummins (my baby)

I really like this battery. I replaced 2 of my Venom 5000mah 3S because they were only 20C and my ERBE needed at least 30C. These ones were the best balance of quality and price from a respected company with great customer support. Im waiting for SPC to make a battery that fits my needs at which point ill get a couple of those as well, but for now, these Venom 3S 5000mah 35C packs work great.

Sounds great man! I'm normally all for SPC, but I have a gift card to Tower, and I figured i'd try Venom. I actually just got in from running mine again, I can't imagine a MMM in it!

Got a new idea for the body on this truck. Im in the process of painting it right now. Its not the hummer, different body all together. It looks SICK mounted on the truck. Cant wait till its painted. Ill post pics tonight when its done.

RC Qualifier
    Busselton, Western Australia... but where in Busselton... that's what we do not know...
    What's the time now?
    What on earth is a spray tan?

The truck looks awesome Pave! What's the body?
    Last edited by Rustin'RedRusty; 12-27-2010 at 08:55 PM.
    Can you break a Rusty?
    Umm...No...No, you can't.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. thedreadedend's Avatar
    Im gonna guess its a slash baja bug. What ever it is, im sure it'll be sweet. Great job pave. After running my 2x in the snow this week, I think this 4x is gonna be the next truck.
    I'm not a hatchet man! I'm a maggot!

RC Qualifier
    I like it. Can't wait to see it with the new body
    If it ain't dirty get it dirty

Alright, as promised. Here it is. This is the final version of my Pede 4X4... Im going to paint the Hummer body also and use it as a basher body because its so much stronger than the Stadium Truck bodies are. But, this will be the shelf body. I think it looks sick. What do YOU think!!!

Proline T4 Cavaleri Edition body:

Finally, this project has come to an end. Im very happy with the results and ill be sure to update this thread if I do any more tweaking and fixing. Comments are welcome.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 01-01-2011 at 11:55 PM.

RC Qualifier
    I like it. Looks sleek

RC Qualifier
    Any videos coming??I want to see this thing in action

Sweet Pave!!!! Did you can it or did you use an airbrush? That turned out great!

RC Turnbuckle Jr. thedreadedend's Avatar
    That's an awsome paint job
    I'm not a hatchet man! I'm a maggot!

Just good 'ol rattle cans. Actually, they were all old cans too. Thanks guys. Ill try to get a video when I can. Ground is covered in snow right now and the truck isnt waterproof so i dont think ill be running it much tlll I can find some dry ground.

Ill get a few underhood pics also. I turned the motor 90 degrees so the wires are super clean now. Its great.

RC Qualifier
    Awesome truck!

actually, you just reminded me... I have some 1 inch airplane wheels to put on there... gotta do that ASAP. I have a set of blue traxxas wheels too but I dont like them as much as the rubber airplane wheels.

I'm suprised you kept the stock wheelie bar wheels! Haha.

RC Qualifier
    Busselton, Western Australia... but where in Busselton... that's what we do not know...
    Quote Originally Posted by pavmentsurfer View Post
    I think it looks sick. What do YOU think!!!

Proline T4 Cavaleri Edition body:

Yes agreed, I do think it looks a little unwell. Nah Jk!

Looks awesome! Great looking body! Vids will be awesome! Show us the Hummer when it's finished!
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 01-01-2011 at 11:56 PM.
    Can you break a Rusty?
    Umm...No...No, you can't.

Send me a link to them, I wouldn't mind upgrading mine.

RC Enthusiast
    Good job on the body,I think it looks great! The only thing I dont like is how far that front bumper sticks out.
    Mini Slash
    Stampede 4x4

Bumper is on my list of things to "tweak" I agree... it sticks out too far. For some reason, the same bumper on a 2X4 doesnt stick out nearly as far. But its an easy fix. Heres some pics of the final under hood layout and one of the rear body mount setup. Just for those interested. Also, just installed the airplane wheels on the wheelie bar, hard to find screws long enough but theyre on.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 01-01-2011 at 11:57 PM.

RC Qualifier
    wow pave awesome , like the body gives it a e-revo look

RC Enthusiast
    Nice truck, enjoyed following the build/upgrade process. Makes me want a pede to go with my slash

RC Enthusiast
    Right on Pave, i love it! can't wait to see the hummer body

RC Qualifier
    SO Pave.. with all that power is she hard to control?... What w8 diff lube R u using.. I bought some 30k for the rear but am now thinking about 50k.. just gotta figure out the best way 2 do it. =)
    When Boy When, Are You Gonna Get Your Act Together

RC Champion
    Pretty cool build, still surprised to learn after all these years, TRAXXAS finally builds a 4X4 Pede!
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same."
    Ronald Reagan

RC Qualifier
    Wow awesome build pave! Can't wait to see vids and the hummer body!
    1 extended pede
    1 stock length pede
    Summit

RC Racer
    hey nice 4x4, i just wanted to mention that the stock bumper works really good, and i think traxxas did it for jumping, so you don't Dig in on the landings! also my pede went thru the wringer today and its a pretty good little crawler even tho i had to take out the motor and put in a titan!!

Thanks for all the nice comments guys. I havent even been able to run the truck yet due to constant rain here. Its supposed to stop tonight so hopefully ill be able to get a few 3S packs through it soon.... ill get a video when I do.

I finished the Hummer body tonight also. Ive set them up so I can run either the Stadium truck body or the Hummer body without changing anything. I also installed my Masher 2Ks mounted on VXL rims.

Pics:
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 01-01-2011 at 11:55 PM.

I must say, I think I like the Hummer body a little better than the other one. Both look great though! You will enjoy this thing .

RC Qualifier
    So...just to mess w/ the Pave man a little... how is it you have all this time to build that beautiful beast but cant finish the trim on your walls?..no disrespect.. I'm right there w/ya.. but in trouble w/ the wife daily!

Haha. You got me. A better question (and the one my wife asks daily) is how is it that I have all this money for rc trucks but no money to pay someone to finish the trim. Simple answer... It's all about priorities. Unfortunately, thats likely to change in a few months when my baby is born. Good reason though righT!

Btw the white on the hummer body has 2 coats of pactra pearl under it. Looks sick in the light.

RC Qualifier
    A better question (and the one my wife asks daily) is how is it that I have all this money for rc trucks but no money to pay someone to finish the trim.!
    No doubt.. my $400 RTR 4x4 turned into $700 overnight!.. the 3s lipo, tires, rims, headz mounts, alum, yada yada yada and it'll never end!

A soon to be new daddy? Congrats bro.. I like my rc's but my kids really ARE the meaning of life!

Hey, having a baby means more RC'ing for you my friend. Look in the future, you can get her/him a car, then it is OK to spend all this money on the RC's haha.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Grand National View Post
    Hey, having a baby means more RC'ing for you my friend. Look in the future, you can get her/him a car, then it is OK to spend all this money on the RC's haha.
    That is exactly what got me back into rc..and rockets, and power kites, and models, and legos...

Quote Originally Posted by beetroot72 View Post
    That is exactly what got me back into rc..and rockets, and power kites, and models, and legos...
    I used to love playing with model rockets with my dad, those are a blast!

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    Hummer looks great! I used to hate them, but I am coming around...
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

Just got done running this bad boy for about half a 5000mah 35c 3S pack in the snow today before my hands got so cold I HAD to stop (hard snow so not much got on the MMP) and heres my first real impression. First, the rear diff is WAY too loose... the truck wont go straight to save its life under power. Im going to go straight up to 50 000wt... I prefer a more solid diff anyway. I also cant get the MMP brakes to modulate at all... it goes into full lock up no matter what I do. I have the brake curve set to -50 on my EX5UR radio and it doesnt seem to make any difference. Im going to hook the MMP up to the link tonight and see what I can adjust to make it better. Because the brakes lock up so quickly I noticed a clicking noise in the diffs. I think its the diff ring and input gears clicking. Im going to take it apart and see whats up. Whatever it is, its not a good noise, probably just shims needed. It doesnt happen on acceleration. Which I think is odd.

Top speed with this setup (geared 18/54) on 3S is WAY WAY fast. Im talking SUPER fast. The Masher tires are a bit out of balance and the truck is not driveable at full throttle. When I do more speed runs ill use the talons. Acceleration is toned down a bit with the ESC settings so it doesnt accelerate too aggressively and I think my slipper may be just a tad loose as it wont wheelie. But, the ground here is all covered in sand from the sanding trucks so that may be the problem... just no traction.

I really notice the truck is more balanced front to rear than my 2X4 pede. It jumps flatter and keeps the front wheels on the ground way better in all conditions. When a 2X4 accelerates it always lifts the front wheels... but when the 4X4 accelerates it stays mostly flat. Which is nice. In terms of jumping, ive set the truck up with 50wt oil in the Big Bores all around and its pretty soft. With that said, being able to brake all 4 wheels when the nose gets high or low is amazing. If it goes WAY nose down, a quick flip of the throttle will bring the nose WAY up... you CAN do this with a 2X4 as well but NOTHING like this. The truck went from straight nose down to almost flipping over backward on just a little jump with a quick blip of the throttle. Also, if it does land nose down, you can land with the throttle on and the front wheels will pull the nose forward and stop a nose in flip/crash. A 2X4 can not touch this truck in terms of mid air control/bad landing ability.

Handling isnt something I could really get a feel for right now with the traction the way it is so I wont comment on it. Right now im just running the top of the frozen snow at high speeds. Looks cool and works great. The 4X4 is definitely a big bonus for this type of running. No big crashes today, so no broken parts or any damage. Everything works exactly how I hoped it would. Just a few adjustments and ill be all set with this truck.
    Last edited by pavmentsurfer; 01-02-2011 at 04:13 PM.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast