Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    Is that on 3S? Ill probably be running mostly 3S but this motor should still run cool on 3S... dont you think?

Yeah, that was on 3s, with my 13/54 gearing, probably capable of running 60mph, after a nice long bash session. So with your motor being physically bigger, it should run cooler for similar speed. BUT IMO it will be almost impossible to overheat your motor in this.
    _
    _
    _ 3 lines are all that's allowed in a sig.

In that case, im going to pull the fan off right now... I didnt want it on there in the first place.

RC poster
    Hi everyone, i'm a newb to stampede 4x4 vxl with a brushless but stumble into 2 problems.
    Is there anyone that know where I can get some steel driveshafts for my pede? I've gone through like 3 yokes and finally said, better go steel before wasting anymore money.
    An also maybe what way to go as far as lowering or making the arms longer, my pede flips here and there and don't wanna break it just yet hahaha Thanks guys and pave your build is gonna be nice!! can't wait to see that sucker.

Youve already seen it... its basically done. I just need to drive it.

as for steel drive shafts, MIP makes some called X-Duty for the slash 4X4... they will work. Also, Tekno makes a set for the slash 4X4. A full set of good steel driveshafts youll be paying about $100-120. If your spinning yolks try loosening your slipper a bit... that may help.

As for making the pede wider, its already about as wide as traditional parts can take it. Your only real option is a set of wheel spacers. But they are pretty hard to find right now. Any part for a slash 4X4 will work on your pede 4X4... so look for slash 4X4 parts when your upgrading.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by beetroot72 View Post
    I have the clear one and it snaps in great. Maybe yours was molded incorrectly.
    Quote Originally Posted by pavmentsurfer View Post
    Yeah, mine fits so tight its actually difficult to get on and off. Not new gears though, just a new pinion... ive gone up to a 17t pinion... we'll see how it goes in terms of heat.
    mine does snap in, but leaves too much space for grit and sand to get in... on the battery side I can push down on it and it will fit into place, but flexes back up when I stop pushing, feels like a 2mm gap, on the motor side I filled the gap with shoogoo and it created a make-shift seal... I do like the look of the clear one... i'll maybe mess with it some more later..

RC Qualifier
    Hey Pave, What Mounting plate is that on your motor? I'm using the stocker but that one looks pretty Beefy!
    When Boy When, Are You Gonna Get Your Act Together

Thats a hot racing plate with the little heat sinks. Seems to work well, the little heat sinks actually get warm so they must be working... And its black, which I like.

RC Champion
    Has weather permitted you to check out your new 2400? I'm curious what the performance is compared to the 2650.
    Jones
    Having too much fun!

RC Qualifier
    Pave, just an FYI. I installed my cc sct this week without the motor fan and had a good chance to bash today. I ran one full 3s pack on mixed terrain with 20/52 gearing. In the dirt and street the motor was barely warm. But after I spent 10 min in the grass she was pretty hot. I don't have a temp guage and could still hold on to the motor for a while but IMO it was hot enough to warrant the fan. I got a 4s coming early next week so the fan will be going on for sure.
    Yesterday, I ran 17/52 for a good 30 min and it was still almost cool. It's around 35 degrees here.
    When Boy When, Are You Gonna Get Your Act Together

Great info beet... thats what I was hoping to hear. I rarely run in grass for more than a few feet at a time and ill be running mostly 3S so I think im going to start with 20/54 and if I need to, drop down to 18/54... but from what I understand I should be good at 20/54. I did remove my fan... if I do need SOMETHING to help with cooling ill probably go with a simple heatsink as opposed to a powered fan at first. Then, move to the fan only if its really needed. But theres STILL snow here... its melting quickly so hopefully ill get some running in the next few weeks. My wife is enjoying the baby and is so incredibly mobile and capable right now... she's even said if I want to go run my truck for a while she'll be fine on her own. So much different than our first baby... it was like she was hit by a truck... who different set of circumstances though.

Anyway, the SECOND I get a chance ill be out testing this thing on 3S and ill post an update.

Today I spent some time with my truck. I installed a full set of MIP X-Duty CVDs which im REALLY happy with. They are far more beefy than I ever expected and they installed fairly easily. I liked that they used the stock carriers and bearings. Very simple.

I also FINALLY filled the 2 extra diffs I had bought with 50 000wt fluid and swapped the stock diffs out and these ones in when I swapped the shafts... all I can say about this adjustment is WOW... THIS is what the pede needed. The truck will actually go straight under power now. Handling is NIGHT AND DAY different. I put 50 000wt in the front and rear and its just amazing. I should have done this from day one.

To make life simpler I bought 2 spare diffs off ebay for about $10 each. That way I could work on 2 while the other 2 were in my truck, then just swap them out. Very simple and it worked the way I expected.

Finally, I put in a Robinson Racing Gen 3 Slipper kit. This is a really nice setup. Im impressed with it. Its louder than stock but is SUPER beefy really looks like a durable, long wearing system. I did notice that in the instructions it says to use the bearing they send THEN the brass bearing adapter they send THEN the stock bearing THEN the spring and nut... this may work on a slash (though I cant see how) but it wont work on a pede... on the pede you simply use the bearing and brass adapter they send then the spring and nut... you no longer use the stock slipper bearing.

Finally, my last comment is that this truck is simply a PLEASURE to work on. Its SO simple to get the diffs out, SO simple to get the slipper out... its just so easy to make big changes and take the front/rear clips off... its just so good.

I ran a full 5000mah 3S 30C Venom out on my lake... the snow has melted an left just a light crust of slushy ice on top. There were piles of snow here and there that I was ripping over WOT and I couldnt believe how well this truck handled at such high speeds. Even sharp edge ruts and junk didnt phase it at all... Very very impressed and I cant wait to get this thing in the dirt.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedester' View Post
    I hope this thread isn't going to end like this. I really want to see how it turns out. Come on pave!!
    Me too!! I want to see the beast after it's done!!

You guys really need to read ALL the pages in a thread... hehe.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. thedreadedend's Avatar
    Its never "done". It will more often read, at this stage........lol, or now that I broke this, it's time to try that lol. It's a sad, sad day, when a truck is "done".
    I'm not a hatchet man! I'm a maggot!

True... now that I broke the motor shaft on my 2400 motor I just bought a 3800 system and will be installing that (along with a new "non dremeled" chassis)... so stay tuned for the next "stage"

RC Qualifier
    Can't really remember what tires are you using on it?
    If it ain't dirty get it dirty

30 Series badlands cut and mounted on Traxxas black chrome allstars... but I may go a different direction soon... not sure what but im not sure these allstars are going to live once I start bashing in the dirt again. Theyve been fine on the lake but theres a soft snow pillow to land on... in the dirt and hard surfaces I have always had issues with the TRX rims breaking and cracking.

I'm with you on that point, I've cracked 3 rims sense the new year. Proline has said they will be releasing some new 2.8 rims with the trx bead to go with the tires recently released. If they're anything like torques, they should be a great option.

Quote Originally Posted by pavmentsurfer View Post
    True... now that I broke the motor shaft on my 2400 motor I just bought a 3800 system and will be installing that (along with a new "non dremeled" chassis)... so stay tuned for the next "stage"
    I hope you've finally dyed a chassis black.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

Nope, but I have the dye and I have the new chassis. just gotta find the TIME.

RC Qualifier
    How are the Tekno's holding up? I think I might go for a set.
    Had-> MERV, ERBE, Stampede 4x4

RC Qualifier
    Opps...sorry disregard my earlier question...I posted it on the wrong thread
    Had-> MERV, ERBE, Stampede 4x4

While I wait for my 3800 motor to arrive im going to try this cheapo setup. I totaly forgot about having this motor brand new in a box. I have NO idea why I bought it in the first place but its been sitting around for a while. Its a ******* 3300kv deal I got for, I think, about $12... its got a 5mm shaft and bolted right up. Its a heli motor so it has alot of holes in the back and front plates so I put some duct tape over them to keep the dirt out. I happened to have a 12t 5mm pinion sitting around which I think is about right for a 3300kv 540 size motor... im going to test it out on 2S this weekend and see how it goes.

RC Racer
    Why that motor mount?
    Any advantage to it?
    Also what size tube did you use on your drive shift up front?

I used the hot racing motor mount because it had the little heat sinks... in reality, all the motor mounts out there are pretty much the same, just a piece of aluminum. But this one had the added feature of dissipating heat, however marginal it may be. The little heat sinks DO get warm during a long run so its my opinion that they are actually doing something...

I cant remember exactly what size heat shrink I used for the driveshaft... I used the same size for where the driveshaft exits the chassis AND for the drive shaft hubs (to take out the slop). When I bought it, I just went to the local hardware store WITH my driveshaft and tested a few different sizes...

Looks like I may not get much testing with the cheap ******* motor... my 3800 arrived today. Im going to swap in a new chassis and driveshaft cover so theres no gap to allow dirt in... ill have it up and running this weekend.

RC Champion
    When you first put this truck together you were using 30 series pro-line torque wheels and badlands. Just wondering what was the part number for the wheels and why aren't you using them anymore?

Heres a link to the proline wheels
    30 Series Torque Rims

I think the Torque rims are by far the strongest you can get in a 2.8 or a 30 series. But I like the black chrome look of the traxxas allstars and I really wanted to try mounting 2.2 badlands on 2.8 all stars (which is whats on the truck now) but... if I had to buy just one set of wheels/tires it would be badlands on the torque rims. Thats what on my 2X4 pede and they seem to live forever.

RC Champion
    Cool ,thanks I just ordered those tonight. I am buying badlands for them. I had the allstars with trenchers but managed to break two of them. Waiting for the new pro-line 2.8 rim so I can mount my trenchers again.

The allstars are really nice looking rims but I break ALOT of them also. At one point I had a whole box of broken ones. They seem to do better with some custom mounted M2K's but with narrower tires like the badlands the rim takes alot of abuse and tends to crack and break. But, they look cool so I keep running them.

Went out today to the skate park. Badly broke 2 front rims... and the slipper end driveshaft spline... exploded into pieces.

Heres a vid of some of the jumping... please excuse the big guy running to pick up the truck all the time... not sure who he is... hehe.

Nice jumping, well some of the time It sure sounded like it took some hard whacks.

But honestly, I want to know what you thought of the motor, in comparison to the 2400.
    _
    _

Its hard to tune suspension to absorb a landing from that height. At the end I finally figured out how to hit the ramp and keep the truck level. At first it just went nose high... but I figured out the throttle and brake at the end.

Im really impressed with the 3800 motor. Its got TONS of power and is super fast. After almost a full 2S pack doing mostly jumping like you see in the video and some ripping around in a parking lot the motor was 130... and im geared 15/54...

I have to say, I actually like the power delivery of the 2400 on 3S better... it seems like I can be smoother on the throttle and the motor engages a little more even... but that could be my settings. Im extremely impressed with the 3800 and I DO notice the weight difference... Im glad I bought it... ill keep running it for now but will probably go back to the 2400 when the 5mm rotor comes in from Castle.

The MMP ESC barely breaks a sweat running the way I do... the fan is never on...

Ya that's a killer ramp. I do alot more high jumps now that im all plastic. Less to worry over and time swapping out belt parts is a downer. The worst part is, seeing the brake or bend a split second before it happens. Kinda makes you feel like you should have known better. I got a double back flip today many times off a 10-12" high stump. I landed on the other side about 2 1/2' out.. smooth as butter till I splintered a rear shaft from the out drive, to 1/2 down the shaft.

I'm pretty lucky, The skateparks I frequent allow me to land on grass, but they are also about 2 feet higher ramps, and almost go vertical, So if you're not careful, you'll fling yourself about 20 feet up.

So have you tried gearing the 3800 for the same speed on 3s you were running with the 2400 on 3s?
    I think the MMP is smoother in it's self, on 3s, but do think that if I were going to run nothing but 3s, the 2400 is probably what I would go with. It was more so the 2s that I was happier with the 3800 on. I'm still wishing/hoping for a 3000kv 1412 motor. I think that would be perfect .

thed, was that a stock shaft?
    _
    _

Yep, still running stockers. I've been lucky with them lately. I plan on grabbing some MIP's but just haven't got them in at the lhs. He'll give me a great price so, i'll keep the money local.

I only have a few 32p pinions that fit... so I had to choose between a 10 or a 15... the 15 seemed like a much better choice.

I think right now they are pretty close in speeds with the 2400 probably being a bit faster (and capable of running 20/54 I think)... the 2400 was geared 18/54 and the 3800 is geared 15/54. I do know the 3800 with this gearing on 2S is WAY fast enough... so if the 2400 on 3S is any faster ill probably gear down a bit... I dont need this much top end. But I was running the 2400 on my lake at WOT with few to no obstacles. Ive been running the 3800 in very different conditions. So its hard to compare really.

I think im going to order a few more 32p pinions from tower... im going to need some more 5mm ones anyway when the new rotor comes from castle so I might as well get a few different options for the 3800 now also. I think ill get a 13 and a 14 in the 2mm bore and a new 18, a 17 and a 20 in the 5mm bore.

I think you owe an apology to AllStar wheels - this seems to be your best landing:

I actually had a better one, perfectly flat (landed out of frame) but it bottomed so hard it still flipped. The wheels were broken before I even took this video. First jump of the day off a much smaller ramp ended in a broken hex area, then a bigger jump cracked an inch wide section out of the other front rim. The rears are fine for now.
    Thanks for the screen cap though, I think I'll save that.
    Last edited by pavmentsurfer; 04-10-2011 at 01:09 AM.

If nothing else, it shows how tough the rest of the truck is!
    BTW, very nice 1080 HD video. I'm jealous.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast