RC poster

Running a single 3500 Velineon in my Summit.

I'm betting that all the nay sayers are wrong and this set up will work quite nicely and give longer run times.

RC Champion
    then do it. what have you got to lose?
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread.php?536733

Quote Originally Posted by quadiak View Post
    ...what have you got to lose?
    ...The Velineon.

There might be cases where that might barely fit the bill, but to run that small of a motor in that large of a vehicle for an extended period of time is asking for trouble.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Qualifier
    Busselton, Western Australia... but where in Busselton... that's what we do not know...
    What about if he ran double motors?
    Can you break a Rusty?
    Umm...No...No, you can't.

RC Champion
    It's all relative.

I have one sitting on my bench that I tried and it didn't work the way I had hoped, but I didn't let the smoke out of it either.

I am of the opinion that an ESC for a 1/8th scale monster truck must be capable of running 4s Lipo at the very least, in order to have enough voltage to properly motivate a large heavy machine and not overtax the ESC/motor.

RC Competitor
    I ran one in an Emaxx for a little while but I geared it way down, I cant remember for sure what gearing....seems like gear mesh became difficult for some reason? I just did it out of boredom one weekend...

Mixed feelings on the results felt under powered on 2s.....3s was better but looked funny with only one pack in it.

I only ran 2 or 3 battery packs thru it......the motor never overheated but I wasnt pushing it either.....just running around on a flat dirt area. Then I got my Novak HV adn the velineon went back into my Blitz.

I think under heavy bashing or racing the motor would run hot........but I see alot of people waaaaayyyyy over gear those things in Rustlers and Stampedes and they keep on running

RC Qualifier
    For my opinion , the vxl need to be geared very low , like 9 - 10 teeths for pinion and keep the 68 spur !!!!!! On 3s the speed will be faster than stock for sure !!!!! The problem i founf with the ESC for crawling it s the LVC is too high (like 11 v ) and when the motor tend to coggin , the LVC go ON !!!!!!! I tried one in my e revo with team losi raminator tires (around 6.75 in dia ) with 13/68 gearing , without fan and the body with no air hole !!! I ran it for 30 mins in deep sand , climbing hill before got very hot !!! So with the fan , air hole ans smaller pinion ...... i think it can without problem !!!!! But if u want more speed , torque for wheelie on demand , put something else !!!!! Anyway if u want speed , wheelie , sky jump , don t buy a summit !!!!!

RC Qualifier
    I did this. I actually ran Dual ESC Dual motor. Worked ok till on ESC went out. So then I ran it on single ESC Single motor. Torques is ok, speed and all is good, run time is limited to the life of the motor. (short) *L* You might want to consider a metal spur gear seeing how the motor gets so how it will melt the gear. Or just not do it at all..
    No you cant drive it
    my RC is owner operated only

RC Champion
    Banzee I also witnessed this phenominon, but its not the LVC. If you read through the specs on the VXL it has some kind of safety cutoff, to prevent twisdamaging the drivetrain. I forget what it was called, but that's exactly what it does. Between that and the terrible delay betwen forward and reverse, the VXL is a terrible ESC for crawling.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by quadiak View Post
    Banzee I also witnessed this phenominon, but its not the LVC. If you read through the specs on the VXL it has some kind of safety cutoff, to prevent twisdamaging the drivetrain. I forget what it was called, but that's exactly what it does. Between that and the terrible delay betwen forward and reverse, the VXL is a terrible ESC for crawling.

Oh thanks for the information !!! I didn t check !!! Yes u right for crawling , these delay don t help , but it s another obstacle !!!! For serious crawling , it s not the ESC to choose !! they call it : Locked Rotor Protection , i think !!!
    Last edited by Banzee; 12-10-2010 at 12:38 PM.
    Been running longer get you more fun longer !!!

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Banzee View Post
    Oh thanks for the information !!! I didn t check !!! Yes u right for crawling , these delay don t help , but it s another obstacle !!!! For serious crawling , it s not the ESC to choose !! they call it : Locked Rotor Protection , i think !!!
    yep, locked rotor protection is the right term.

RC poster
    Well, it runs. I geared it as low as I could and never had an issue with over heating. My Summit is highly modified. My tires are almost 7 inches tall and 5 inches wide. I'm running 7 cell Nimh batteries rated at 5000 mah. My steering servos are made by Hi-Tech and are rated at .15 second with 333 oz/inch of torque. The reason I wanted to use the Velineon bl system is I wanted to stay with Traxxas products and for me, water proof electronics is a must. I wish Traxxas offered a robust bl system with 6s capability and a simplified way to monitor Lipo battery's voltage. Or, have a system manufactured for them with the specs I'm looking for. It would be nice if it was made to look like a Traxxas made component with blue as it's color and Traxxas stickers on it. At this point, I will be saving my money for a Novak Goat system. After doing a lot of research I found the Goat to be the most attractive choice.

RC Qualifier
    Glad to ear that !!! Enjoy !!!! And Have fun !!!

RC Qualifier
    retired tring to get in contact with you multi pm's send please respond..
    No you cant drive it
    my RC is owner operated only

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_uscg View Post
    retired tring to get in contact with you multi pm's send please respond..
    Try to get in contact with me or Quadiak ????????

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    He is trying to get in contact with 'Retired'; its amazing how simply missing a comma out of a sentence ( "retired, trying to..." ) leads to mis-communication so easily...
    Keeping the Mods busy is my specialty...

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmyofDarkness View Post
    He is trying to get in contact with 'Retired'; its amazing how simply missing a comma out of a sentence ( "retired, trying to..." ) leads to mis-communication so easily...
    U r right !!!!!!! I think a little " I " between Retired and Trying will reduce the confusion !!!!! Lollll !! thanks armyofdarkness !!!!

RC Racer
    wow you love your exclamation marks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by adamfilip View Post
    wow you love your exclamation marks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Ahh nobody tell me that it have a limitation on that

RC Enthusiast
    SO does that 1/10 scale VXL system work in a summit and is it any good?

RC Racer
    If you read through you will realize that it just makes no sense. Same as putting a 1 litre engine in a Hummer.