RC Competitor

Summit with lipo's, to light to crawl ?

Hi, i'm running on 2X 2S 5000mah lipo's since yesterday but i have the idea that the truck is to light now for crawling or is it a advantage ?(i'm a newb when it comes to crawling).

The power gain is nice but i only bashed it for a couple of minutes, tomorrow when the weather allows it i will go to a jeep/dirtbike track and test the crawling performance with the lipo's but i keep the nimh's in my pocket just in case

RC poster
    i got summit yesterday, and im running 2x2s 5800mah, lol i love them runtime is just amazing...

anyways for crawling, its better if its heavier, low center of gravity, but summit got pretty much whole center of gravity above wheel base so i dont know about this case... but i do know that if you gonna crawl, its good idea to weight down front

RC Racer
    I heard that you can stick BBs on the front of your car from a crawling site
    Slash, Ken Block Fiesta
    Slash 4x4
    Summit

weight inside front wheels is the answer(I used pencil lead from the fishing section 1/4 round, wrapped 7oz inside rim got it to balance) then taped it to keep it from moving,put tires back on and big difference.It makes such a big difference in crawling and climbing that it seems like a different truck.The trade off is high speed bashing suffers as it's now way front heavy.but Thats fine for me i got this truck to do what it's designed to do go anywhere anytime any weather and that it does in spades.This truck just keeps on shocking me with what it is capable of when driven and set up right.I love it wouldn't trade it for any other truck
    Last edited by jamann; 12-11-2010 at 02:09 PM.
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Competitor
    yes, now you guys mention it the front is very light with the lipo's, wheelies are no problem anymore due to the amount of power and the pound of weight what the lipo's weigh less then the nihm's...

this could be a serious problem when going steep uphill...

the problem is that my son drives the truck to and he rather likes to bash it.

maybe i keep the lipo's for him and the nihm's for me, so we both have fun wih the same truck or else i need to get another summit(hehehe) ;-)

RC Champion
    One can never have too many Summits
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread.php?536733

RC Competitor
    I've run stick on wheel weights on the inside of my front wheels and really liked the change in crawling. I think I'm going to try to come up with a lead weight to mount behind the front bumper/skidplate for this winter.
    4x4 Slash
    Summit
    Revo 3.3 BL---sold

RC Competitor
    tnx for the reply's, the lipo's went to my son's rustler(normal, no VXL) and that woken up that little rascal pretty good(i mean the car and the boy, lol) and it really saw some airmiles today at the dirtbike track :-)

i stick with the nihms for now, it just crawls better with the extra weight, i am searching for wheel weights and i'm going to try that to but i recently installed the same springs in the back as the stock front springs and that also made it a better crawler because the back does'nt drop that much anymore when climbing.

ps i'm sorry if my englisch is'nt all that, i'm from Belgium and our second language is French, englisch is pretty uncommon over here ;-)

RC Qualifier
    Here is a LINK to the weights I found. sad thing is that they are only 3oz a stick, and the price is for 1 stick I believe.

Also, its all right if your english is not 100%; mainly because most people have access to a translator incase you start sticking some of your native language into the middle of a post.
    Slayer, Slash 4x4 (MMM/2650kv), & a Summit

RC Qualifier
    I just went to my local tire shop and got stick on weights for my crawlers wheels.
    SUMMIT- DeWalt, 4S
    SUMMV- 3S
    MERV- 3S

RC Competitor
    yes i was also thinking of going to the local tire shop, now i only need some time to get there, the problem is if i have a hour of spare time i go out driving my Summit(lol) !

RC Competitor
    I got my weights from the LHS....in the airplane section.
    4x4 Slash
    Summit
    Revo 3.3 BL---sold

RC Enthusiast
    Just an FYI but you should be able to buy wheel weights at shops that mount and balance tires too. I'm not sure how much they are but I know a lot of the guys on the crawler boards go this route (I'm thinking about doing this with my own rock crawler...though I'm told that I'll need a $100+ metal-gear steering servo, otherwise I'll burn it up).

Quote Originally Posted by Omega-Tron View Post
    Just an FYI but you should be able to buy wheel weights at shops that mount and balance tires too. I'm not sure how much they are but I know a lot of the guys on the crawler boards go this route (I'm thinking about doing this with my own rock crawler...though I'm told that I'll need a $100+ metal-gear steering servo, otherwise I'll burn it up).
    the ******* hv from the china area is a servo to look at titanium geared coreless motor 327oz@ 6v about 60 bucks working great for me
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried