RC Qualifier

New stampede problems

Just got my stampede vxl 4x4 on Thursday. I was rolling it around on the floor and noticed it makes a grinding noise. I drove around on the driveway a little bit and could still hear it. I took it in to my local hobby store today and compared it to a slash vxl 4x4. Mine was still making the noise and the slash was smooth and quiet. They suggested I send it in to Traxxas asap. Anybody else with a bad truck this soon?

RC poster
    Mine used to make that grinding noise too so i took the motor off and made sure the set screw wast tightend down and it wasnt so check your set screw and see if it helps.

RC Qualifier
    Which one is the set screw? If its the screw on the pinion then yes thats tight. I have tried tightening everything I can see.
    Last edited by ryan93civic; 12-11-2010 at 03:07 PM.

Without doubt the most likely cause is a poor mesh between the pinion and spur gear or maybe the pinion depth is not right causing it to be misaligned with the spur gear. Either of these situations is very easy to fix and something you will find yourself doing on a regular basis. I am amazed your LHS did not check this out for you.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Champion
    --------------------
    Last edited by turok; 12-11-2010 at 03:17 PM. Reason: wrong section woops
    slash revo vxl x4 rally x2 ped 2wd slash vxl rus

RC Qualifier
    I did the paper in the mesh trick. Not sure what you meant by "maybe the pinion depth is not right causing it to be misaligned with the spur gear"
    Looking down at the gears the pinion is even with the spur gear.
    The guys at the hobby store thought it sounded like something might be loose or stuck in either one of the sealed gears. They said the noise would be constant with a bad gear mesh. Mine will make a clicking metal noise every so many rotations when being pushed on the floor.
    Last edited by ryan93civic; 12-11-2010 at 03:52 PM.

RC poster
    The noise is coming from the center driveshaft, had one here doing the same thing. We fixed it by wraping teflon tape around the drive hub on the front and rear then reinstalled the driveshaft. You only need to wrap the tape around the hub 1 or 2 times, don't over do it or you will not get the driveshaft back in.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks but I sent the truck in to Traxxas per their request.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan93civic View Post
    Thanks but I sent the truck in to Traxxas per their request.
    Let us know what it was.