RC Qualifier

7 cell or 8 cell battery in stampede 4x4

Hi guys, my girlfriend just bought me the Stampede 4x4 for Christmas and The 7 cell pack isn't enough for me. I really don't want to spend the extra money on lipo, so I was wondering for one, how will an 8 cell battery perform? Also, how should I have the cells positioned on the pack to clear the battery bar? Let me know guys, Thanks!
    Merv VXL x2

RC Enthusiast
    Personally, I would save the money and at least start saving for lipo. But if you really want to stick with nimh however, I haven't heard that many good things about the 8 cell. But if you do get an 8 cell, I would get a promatch pack simply because they seem to have the best reputation for nimh battery's. Go hump pack because looking at my pede4x4, it doesn't look like there's quite enough room for a 7 or 8 cell stick pack, only a hump.
    Mini Slash
    Stampede 4x4

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    Your only option is a stick configuration hump pack with 2 cells on top. Here's the problem, I agree that going with a good company like promatch is the best plan, but unless you have a good nimh charger your just going to damage those high and cells. If you end up needing a higher end charger for the higher end nimh cells you may as well go lipo. This all depends on what charger you currently have

RC Qualifier
    Well, right now I have this charger, http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXTSA4&P=ML . I also have 2 5000 7 cell elite packs. I have heard those are really good packs. I also have now 2 traxxas 7 3000 cell batteries, 1 4200 7 cell venom, 1 3300 6 cell from radio shack, 1 ******* lipo 2s 5800 (the red wire from the balancing wires is pulled out of the pack ). I am debating on just turning my venom pack into an 8 cell, but it's a stick pack. My next option (without buying a pack) is to just turn the 7 cell traxxas packs into 8 cell packs.
    Last edited by maxxnslash; 12-14-2010 at 01:12 PM.
    Merv VXL x2

Quote Originally Posted by erikcrvjl1 View Post
    Personally, I would save the money and at least start saving for lipo. But if you really want to stick with nimh however, I haven't heard that many good things about the 8 cell. But if you do get an 8 cell, I would get a promatch pack simply because they seem to have the best reputation for nimh battery's. Go hump pack because looking at my pede4x4, it doesn't look like there's quite enough room for a 7 or 8 cell stick pack, only a hump.
    I also agree! once you go lipo there is no going back! I run #s in my Slash 4x4 and I love it!!!

RC Champion
    well i have used 8 and 9 cell in my slash 4x4 and it goes really well. in the snow the 9 cell done a little better than a 2 cell lipo.
    slash revo vxl x4 rally x2 ped 2wd slash vxl rus

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by turok View Post
    well i have used 8 and 9 cell in my slash 4x4 and it goes really well. in the snow the 9 cell done a little better than a 2 cell lipo.
    How should do the cell arrangement for the 9 cell in the new stampede 4x4?
    Merv VXL x2

RC Champion
    It will be 3x2 on the bottom. then 3 in a row (the long way) over the bottom. ||

Or I have also seen 6 cells lined up side to side, with 3 on top side to side in the middle._ _
    So I taped my hamster to the Pede..

RC Turnbuckle Jr. thedreadedend's Avatar
    If your gonna stick with nimh then your best bet is to go side by side. Lots more power delivery and less resistance and heat. So with that said, how do you fit in the pede? Well,,,, 6 on thre bottom sxs and the rest on top. I know what your thinking, the battery hold down won't go over it. Correct. If it was me, I would ditch the plastic battery fastener and dremal a couple slits for velcro straps. Now you can put all kinds of different packs in there.
    I'm not a hatchet man! I'm a maggot!

I have only run my truck with 3 cell lipos for almost a year now. i don't think there is a nimh that will keep up with those. I could be wrong.

RC poster
    Hobbypartz.com has Blue Lipo 3s 5000mah 40c packs for $38!!!!! I got a pair of them and the thunder ac6 charger on there, AWESOME batteries.
    HPI RS4 Rally
    Stampede VXL 4x4

RC Champion
    Hi maxxnslash im using 2 velcro straps.
    slash revo vxl x4 rally x2 ped 2wd slash vxl rus