RC Enthusiast

'Pede 4x4 Basher X2 Project

Howdy folks!

I've been searching for a long time for a good basher truck. Let me define that, as it may differ by person. I have no plans to jump school buses or do other insane things. But I want something that will work well over very rough terrain, be reliable, be affordable, and have a vast supply of replacement and upgrade parts. Part of this means high ground clearance, and 4x4.

For years, I thought the Stampede would be great, if it were only 4x4. So, now I have it, with the quality Velineon system.

This is my second attempt at making this basher, hence the X (squared) moniker. As I get more progress, I'll add some pix.

Right now, what I've done is:

- Trx alum steering knuckles
    - Trx alum carrier hubs
    - Trx alum rear hubs
    - Proline Slash Powerstroke shocks front and rear
    - Proline 17mm hub adapters
    - Proline 1/8th scale truggy wheels and tires (pins for now)
    - JConcepts Ford Raptor body (in for paint job)
    - Associated motor heat sink
    - Multiple 2S 5000 batts, and a 3S 5400

Future plans:

- Lunsford Titanium links
    - RPM front and rear A-arms
    - RPM front and rear shock towers
    - MIP CVD driveshafts front and rear
    - Several different wheel/tire configs

That should make it fairly bulletproof, and handle anything a field or off road track can dish out.

I'm pretty new to Traxxas (very briefly had an E-Maxx a couple years ago, but too big and bulky, too common), so this should be a good learning experience.

I'd be very interested in seeing other peoples modifications and projects. If anyone knows of any known weak points on the truck or potential problem areas I should be aware of, please let me know. Since it's prebuilt, I have no idea of the quality of the diff components and such.

Happy trails!

RC Enthusiast
    Here's the first round of pix:

Steering knuckles

Rear hubs

Truck w/o body

Truck with body

Tomorrow I'm going to go run it in a park, with varied terrain and a couple of gully's I should be able to jump. I'll let you know how it works out.

I also have a couple sets of 1/8th scale buggy tires which I can experiment with. One thing is sure, I definitely need sway bars!

This looks cool. But the VXL will not be able to run those tires without running hot. A temp gun will be necessary for even a couple minute run on 2s, and the 3s will be unrunnable. So keep a very close eye on temps, and good luck.
    _
    _
    _ 3 lines are all that's allowed in a sig.

RC Qualifier
    You should put some big m2k's on that make it look like a monster truck
    If it ain't dirty get it dirty

RC Enthusiast
    It ran fine with 2S's, no temp problems. Ran it briefly with 3S's, but it was too much speed to really control, so I'll be sticking to 2S's. If I have to, I'll drop the gearing a little, but I have a heat sink on the motor and don't anticipate problems.

RC Qualifier
    I have a feeling that you will bend axles easier with those big rims and tires.

RC Champion
    It makes the wheelbase look so short! But thats one of the characteristics of a stampede.... looks good.
    So I taped my hamster to the Pede..

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    God I hope traxxas comes out with a black chassis...
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...