Thread: Bassy earbuds

RC Champion

Bassy earbuds

Hey I am getting a 4th gen ipod touch hopefully within the next few days and am trying to figure everything I will be getting for it. So far I got a "hundred dollar bill case on ebay for like $4. A wall charger, audio splitter, and screen protector. Anything else you would recommend?

The only thing left after that to get is earbuds because I don't like cheap low quality buds that apple and most everybody else includes with their mp3s.

So I listen to mainly classic rock (lots of guitar, solos, not metally rock) some newer rock (not metal) and occasionally country on long car rides...lol
    And I was looking for some cheaper headphones around 20-30 dollars sold IN STORES with good bass.

I am leaning towards the Skull Candy earbuds because they have 11mm drives which means lots of bass!
    But then again I also want Sony because I know they make quality stuff.
    Anybody use Skull Candy???? Good Bass?? if so that is my choice!
    Thanks!
    So I taped my hamster to the Pede..

I cannot recommend Sennheiser CX-300s highly enough. I've been using mine daily for a couple years and the sound quality is excellent - certainly the best of any <$100 of earbuds I've tried. On a well-produced album (Blur's 13, anything by Spoon, etc.), they've proven to be incredibly well-balanced with no funky frequency responses.
    Six in a row makes it go.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by CAPTAIN SPEED. View Post
    Hey I am getting a 4th gen ipod touch hopefully within the next few days and am trying to figure everything I will be getting for it. So far I got a "hundred dollar bill case on ebay for like $4. A wall charger, audio splitter, and screen protector. Anything else you would recommend?

The only thing left after that to get is earbuds because I don't like cheap low quality buds that apple and most everybody else includes with their mp3s.

So I listen to mainly classic rock (lots of guitar, solos, not metally rock) some newer rock (not metal) and occasionally country on long car rides...lol
    And I was looking for some cheaper headphones around 20-30 dollars sold IN STORES with good bass.

I am leaning towards the Skull Candy earbuds because they have 11mm drives which means lots of bass!
    But then again I also want Sony because I know they make quality stuff.
    Anybody use Skull Candy???? Good Bass?? if so that is my choice!
    Thanks!
    i actually am in the same position as you. i have a 4th gen. ipod, got a case, wall plug, etc. and I have skull candy ink'd headphones, and do have nice bass and are sound canceling (well, its good for what it is) and i got mine for only 20$-30$ right in your price range.
    if you want me to i can break your truck for free!

RC Qualifier
    I recommend the Skullcandy Ink'd earbuds as well. They are clear and the bass is really good. And they last a long time, I've had mine for a couple months & I use them hard and they still work great

http://www.amazon.com/Skullcandy-INK.../dp/B003GIJTR8
    Rustler|Brushless Losi XXL

RC Qualifier
    Skullcandy Ink'd for sure. YOu might get lucky and find a new set that has a microphone built in. (Even though the iPod has a built in mic)
    ERBE ~ Rusty VXL ~ Pede VXL ~ 2 Slash 4X4's

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty+Jump=Fun! View Post
    I recommend the Skullcandy Ink'd earbuds as well. They are clear and the bass is really good. And they last a long time, I've had mine for a couple months & I use them hard and they still work great

ha, had mine for a year and it finally crapped out because the wire frayed.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty+Jump=Fun! View Post

i have those aswell, great bass when they stay in your ear, for some reason they just dont stay in my ear..
    Lead, follow, or get out of my way!

RC Champion
    V-moss bass freq on amazon. They are really good for the price and come in a lot of different colors.

RC Champion
    I have a pair from Philips. They have very good sound quality and very good bass. They also have the rubber loops to hold them in place so they don't fall off. I have had them for about 5 years and have had no problems. They also handle a large amount of power. With my cowon i audio x5 I cant produce enough power to cause static. I have tried sony and other brands but I have only had luck with Philips. Part of what gives them so much bass is that they are ported. Very few ear buds are ported. I will check and see if I can find any still for sale.

RC Champion
    I found them even though they are so old. For the price you really cant go wrong giving them a try. You might even find them at a local store.

http://www.amazon.com/Philips-Flexib...3672160&sr=8-3

RC Qualifier
    I use a set of sony earbuds I got with my iPod touch, and they have good bass and sound in them.
    Link:
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Sony+-+E...964864&st=sony earbud&cp=1&lp=11
    Slayer, Slash 4x4 (MMM/2650kv), & a Summit

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by SLASHPEDE View Post
    i have those aswell, great bass when they stay in your ear, for some reason they just dont stay in my ear..
    try one of the different rubber ear pieces

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Smasher! View Post
    I don't like to pay lots for earbuds.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Mdr-E10Lp.../dp/B0015AM3B8

Those have by far been the best ones I have ever had. Never had a problem. As good as skull candy's are..they crap out on almost everyone. I had my pair 6 months and they just stopped working. They aren't built to the best quality. The other ones I have had were JVC Gummy's..they broke..because I sat a welding weight on them by accident..
    those must have been older ones. the only reason the wires frayed is because there is a little plastic piece that goes over the wire that slides up an down, and it ended up after a year just because it was pushed up and down alot, since it was kinda a habit of me.

RC Qualifier
    I had the Skullcandy inkd ones for awhile and they were pretty nice but came out of your ear fairly easy. I used them quite alot with the volume pretty high (a lil bit over half way on my ipod touch) and they were exposed to a ton on dust and crap and yanked every which way (pretty much abused. I wore them when I mowed because they are close to noise cancelling) and they finally quit on me because the wire for the left bud disconnected from the plug. I got some skullcandy smokin buds and love them even more! They let you hear a little more outside sound but have great base. I had to turn the volume up to about 3/4 volume on my ipod to get the same level of music with the inkd while mowing but I have a extremely loud mower (loud engine behind me and deck under my feet and something is messed up with the deck/belt so it sounds like a jet engine). I also have the eq set to bass boost which helps more with the bass (i love bass ) One downer IMO is that the smokin buds has a slider volume on it. No problem though because if you slide the volume all the way up and put some heatshrink over it it works great. Overall, I reccomend the skullcandy smokin buds. There great headphones, and while they are about $10 more than the inkd they stay in better and have better bass. For about $20-30 you cant go wrong!
    Are you an RC addict?

RC Racer
    I will go ahead and say that skullcandy earbuds are pretty good for the price.
    I had mine for about a year, and I lost them, so I went to a non in-ear earbud for a while, then I found my skullcandies.
    After not using them for so long, they felt terrible in my ears, and it just felt way too awkward, and they were always falling out.
    They do produce good sound, but it takes a while to get used to having something stuck in your ear
    If you stop using them after prolonged use, they may not feel as comfortable as they used to...
    I accidentally my whole truck.

RC Racer
    Auvio ar the best ive ever had
    I divide by zero

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by slowenuff View Post
    V-moss bass freq on amazon. They are really good for the price and come in a lot of different colors.
    Didn't realize my phone spell checked my suggestion. Here are the earbuds me and the wife use. They come with a 3 sets of ear gels for pretty comfy fit. I am not an auidiophile but I was amazed at the bass these lil guys delivered.
    Last edited by slowenuff; 12-31-2010 at 09:54 PM.

RC Qualifier
    JVC Marshmallow full range no joke. I spent 6 months looking for great ear buds for under $40 and this is what I found. Best part they don't feel loose and you can't hear anything but music. Good life time too.
    Last edited by Skitter302; 01-02-2011 at 01:29 AM.
    Brushless RiPs Nitro Drips.

RC Qualifier
    http://cgi.ebay.com/IPOD-IPHONE-ROCK...item1c182bdcd6

Here ya go. I wouldn't get anything that does not have the interchangeable silicon "buds". More like earplugs, don't fall out, and block ambient noise. The choice is yours!
    Last edited by papermaker; 01-02-2011 at 09:29 AM.
    Don't fry bacon naked.
    HFMAFEE

RC Racer
    Skullcandy ear buds sound great and have great bass but for what they cost I do not think they are worth it.
    I have owned several pairs of them (six pairs to be exact); the first 3 pairs I was pretty rough on them and they did not last more than a few months.
    After that the next 3 pairs I owned I took care of them as best as possible and they did not last more than 4-6 months in fact the most recent pair I owned I took very good care of them and the wires still frayed because they are so delicate.
    Definitely not worth the money.
    I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

RC poster
    I bought my wife a pair of the iBeats headphones. Cost right at $100. I've had so many headphones and earbuds doing studio work with bands that it's not even funny. But the sound quality out of these is just...wow. They come with a ton of different rubber inserts to get the right fit, and they are noise cancelling. They fit in your ear like earplugs so they dont just "sit" in your ear like the Apple buds. They actually stay in during a run or workout. I've had Skull Candy before and yes they're good and cheaper, but they don't always burn in evenly imo. Hope this helps

RC Champion
    Sounds good. I think I will get the Skull Candy earbuds a lot of people seem to be satisfied with them. I don't play my music super loud or abuse them so they should last a long time. As long as Best buy has them!
    So I taped my hamster to the Pede..

RC Champion
    I would go for a higher end company. Skull candy is just another front for a company looking to make a buck. Because they can be found easily people buy them and don't bother to check out the competition.
    Oderint Dum Metuant

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by CAPTAIN SPEED. View Post
    Sounds good. I think I will get the Skull Candy earbuds a lot of people seem to be satisfied with them. I don't play my music super loud or abuse them so they should last a long time. As long as Best buy has them!
    Good Luck; I cannot tell you what to buy if I were you I would stay away from those Skull Candy earbuds.
    If you read post#21 you will know why.
    I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ReaperGN View Post
    I would go for a higher end company. Skull candy is just another front for a company looking to make a buck. Because they can be found easily people buy them and don't bother to check out the competition.
    Not always, take a look at these reviews: http://www.amazon.com/Skullcandy-Pro...owViewpoints=1
    Rustler|Brushless Losi XXL

RC Champion
    Those reviews are from people who bothered to post one. Most are from internet junky's that make due with what they find at walmart or best buy. When I search for best ear buds I don't see skull candy anywhere.
    Oderint Dum Metuant

RC Qualifier
    I use skull candy simply because I can get them for $10 and I am hard on earbuds. I use to buy JVC but they were more expensive and would wear out about as quickly as the skullcandys.
    Using while stupid may cause serious injury.

RC Champion
    Exactly why most people buy them. I found some reviews for the higher end skull candy ear buds and the ratings were ok but not great. The better reviews said they look cool but lack in sound quality compared to others in that price class. The best rated overall were from klipsch. I really like the ones I have from Philips because I cant stand the in ear ones. And they are loud enough that even though they don't have a tight seal, I cant hear much other than music. Plus the rubber loops help hold them in place when moving around a lot. I just wish they could fit under my helmet.
    Oderint Dum Metuant