RC Competitor

cc sidewinder sct esc fire

got a chance to go out today and test my new system out and after about 5min of running we had a fire in my 2wd slash no damage to the truck but the esc went up in flames im not that mad im gonna send it back to castle creation next week but i was running a 2s 40c lipo 19/90 gearing

RC Qualifier
    Wow that's crazy.

RC Qualifier
    Woah..mine dod not do that when i drove mine for first time..today also!

RC Enthusiast
    You should be running a higher pinion gear. Try a 23 or 25 with sct motor. You only need the smaller pinion gear for a motor that needs torque, this combo is nothing but torque. You definately had a bad esc but, you really should change your gearing. Your motor and esc will run alot cooler, and faster.

RC Qualifier
    I ran 23 86 on mine and it got to maybe 85 running around a low traction track.

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    your mmp combo 2400 esc caught on fire on 2s? wow, would not have expected that. any pics?
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

RC Qualifier
    Wow. I run 18/54 in my 4x4 and the Esc never gets above 90*f on 2s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ERBE ~ Rusty VXL ~ Pede VXL ~ 2 Slash 4X4's

RC Enthusiast
    4wd and 2wd run different gearing. You need to be in the 4wd section.

RC Competitor
    no its was the sidewinder sct 3800 maybe it was just a bad esc im gonna send it back to castle creation and get another just one of those freak thing but i put my old sidewinder in today with the 4 pole motor geared 30/86 and it ran fine no heat issue with the motor or esc this is a good motor for offroad but sense i dont do much offroad im gonna put it on ebay tonight for a good price
    Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
    your mmp combo 2400 esc caught on fire on 2s? wow, would not have expected that. any pics?

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by gtr450 View Post
    4wd and 2wd run different gearing. You need to be in the 4wd section.
    His first post says he is running a 2WD

Quote Originally Posted by momogt
    got a chance to go out today and test my new system out and after about 5min of running we had a fire in my 2wd slash no damage to the truck but the esc went up in flames im not that mad im gonna send it back to castle creation next week but i was running a 2s 40c lipo 19/90 gearing
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 01-02-2011 at 12:11 AM.
    Steve
    2wd Slash

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    Quote Originally Posted by momogt View Post
    no its was the sidewinder sct 3800 maybe it was just a bad esc im gonna send it back to castle creation and get another just one of those freak thing but i put my old sidewinder in today with the 4 pole motor geared 30/86 and it ran fine no heat issue with the motor or esc this is a good motor for offroad but sense i dont do much offroad im gonna put it on ebay tonight for a good price
    lol sorry was still up from my new years party and read it wrong. Prob should not have been posting lol.
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

RC Enthusiast
    I was talking to rmaxx 19. He was talking about the gearing in his 4x4.
    Quote Originally Posted by Team6Slash View Post
    His first post says he is running a 2WD

RC Qualifier
    All I was trying to say is mine runs cool in a 4x4. Which is heavier and has more rotational mass. You must have a defective Esc. That's all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ERBE ~ Rusty VXL ~ Pede VXL ~ 2 Slash 4X4's

RC Competitor
    i think its a bad esc

RC Qualifier
    You should be running a higher pinion gear. Try a 23 or 25 with sct motor. You only need the smaller pinion gear for a motor that needs torque, this combo is nothing but torque. You definately had a bad esc but, you really should change your gearing. Your motor and esc will run alot cooler, and faster.
    Obviously the ESC was defective but just to clarify gearing higher will not lower your temps, if anything it will raise them. The only time gearing higher will keep the truck running cooler is if it was geared extremely low in the first place.
    Vehicle(s): None
    Owned:Rustler,Slash,E-Maxx

RC Enthusiast
    Normally yes. That's my point. With this motor, it already has so much torque, you need to gear higher to even it out. With the smaller gears you're pinning it more trying to go faster, therefore the motor is winding out more and getting hot. Taller gears with this motor means more speed, less pinning, less work for the motor=a cooler happier motor. If you don't believe me try it, you'll like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Liam View Post
    Obviously the ESC was defective but just to clarify gearing higher will not lower your temps, if anything it will raise them. The only time gearing higher will keep the truck running cooler is if it was geared extremely low in the first place.

RC Qualifier
    Normally yes. That's my point. With this motor, it already has so much torque, you need to gear higher to even it out. With the smaller gears you're pinning it more trying to go faster, therefore the motor is winding out more and getting hot. Taller gears with this motor means more speed, less pinning, less work for the motor=a cooler happier motor. If you don't believe me try it, you'll like it.
    Considering the motor is 3800kv it definitely wouldn't be pinned running an 18 or 19t pinion. When I had my Slash VXL I usually ran an 18t pinion, my motor was definitely not pinned and it ran cooler than if I was running a 23 or 25t. Don't forget the VXL motor is 3500kv and also has a larger can than the 3800kv Sidewinder motor which means it should have more torque.

RC Competitor
    but the sidewinder 3800kv is a 4 pole and the vxl 3500kv is a 2 pole so the 4 pole is gonna have more torque

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by momogt View Post
    but the sidewinder 3800kv is a 4 pole and the vxl 3500kv is a 2 pole so the 4 pole is gonna have more torque
    Never mind then, I was thinking of the older 2 pole motors.
    But I still highly doubt that the motor would be pinned running an 18 or 19t pinion.

RC Enthusiast
    Pinned=full throttle. That's what I meant.

RC Qualifier
    Pinned=full throttle. That's what I meant.
    That makes more sense. Even though you would have to use more throttle to go faster with a smaller pinion if you were using a larger pinion you would need to use more throttle to accelerate faster (if that makes sense) which would lead to increased temps. Then again it all depends on what you're doing if you're running more off-road then on-road gear lower and vice versa.