RC Competitor

Battery questions / Recomendations!!! LIPO

1. What batteries do you recomend i get? (LIPO only) I am looking to do the 50mph. I dont know if i should go 2s or 3s.

2. What are the things i should be looking for when buying a charger / balancer for a lipo battery pack.

3. I plugged in the Stock battery for 6 hours (9am-2pm). I disconnected the battery checked it with a volt meter and it said it was full. I kept the battery inside overnight and today i tried to run the car at 10 or 11 am and the battery was dead. I was able to go about 5 mph for about 15 minutes and then it progressivly got slower. This is the first time i used the car. Should the battery have died from just sitting less than 12 hours without use after the first charge?.

Please include some links. I have a nitro truck but i am new to electric and have nothing but my gymkhana RTR stuff.

Thanks

ERIC,

ARE THESE ANY GOOD?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...:X:RTQ:US:1123
    Last edited by cooleocool; 01-01-2011 at 08:37 PM. Reason: merge

RC Racer

RC Competitor
    Thanks tint man but is it possible to get the 50mph marker with 2s 7.4v batteries?

RC Racer

RC Competitor
    cool thanks do you own the gymkhana or a rally?

also tintman if i get these batteries where can i get a charger / balancer
    Last edited by cooleocool; 01-01-2011 at 08:38 PM. Reason: merge

RC Racer
    I have a rally now & have a Ken Block on the way. TH has changers & balance's http://www.towerhobbies.com/
    I have Team Checkpoint TC-1030 & love it & i have Great Planes ElectriFly Equinox LiPo Cell Balancer .
    Last edited by Tintman; 01-01-2011 at 07:37 PM.

RC Racer
    You can get the ******* batteries from Ebay at an internet retailer for a much lower price! You will need to buy Traxxas connectors and solder them on yourself, but these are good batteries. You will have to search the internet for the battery name. I cannot post the link or the name of the site due to forum rules.
    Last edited by MaxxWrecker07; 01-01-2011 at 11:14 PM. Reason: URL remove
    KB Rally
    Savage Flux HP

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by tirado_881 View Post
    Thanks tint man but is it possible to get the 50mph marker with 2s 7.4v batteries?
    Officially No, Technically Yes, If you do it it will void your warrenty and if something burns its your fault not Traxxas's. I have done it and others on this forum have done it with success.
    1. Put the ESC in nimh
    2. Connect 2 2s batteries in series
    You will not have a LVC, At 14.8v you are over the max of 11.1v for lipos so it wont run in lipo mode but will in nimh mode. Always monitor your temps when you run in series even more so that you are at 4s. I just do a few speed or radar runs when I feel the need for speed then switch back to the parrallel connector and finish off the day

RC Competitor
    thanks ray. so would running 2 lipo paralell alone add any performance boost or would it mostly be runtime.. also the way the batteries discharge. for instance acceleration increase or top speed increased. ? also what do you run for batteries and a charging / balancer system?. thanks

Eric,

RC Competitor
    Also Why do some of the batteries i see have different P ratings what is that for?

...so would running 2 lipo paralell alone add any performance boost or would it mostly be runtime.. also the way the batteries discharge. for instance acceleration increase or top speed increased. ? also what do you run for batteries and a charging / balancer system?
    Not much performance boost due to the extra cells, lots of performance penalty due to the extra weight. Run time would certainly be extended, acceleration would be slower, top speed - given enough room - would be very close to the same.

P = cells in Parallel. A 2S1P battery has 2 cells in series. A 2S2P battery has 4 cells, 2 pairs in parallel, both pairs in series.

58.7mph on an SPC 3S battery
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakey
    Late in October I made some speed runs with my Rally. The Rally has the stock VXL ESC and motor and stock tires. Running a 1600mAh/20C/3S LiPo and 35/45 gearing, I recorded 58.7 mph at maximum Amp load of 39.2-Amps. I was hoping to hit 60 mph, but it just would not happen that day. All speeds and data were recorded with an EagleTree sytem.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 01-02-2011 at 02:04 AM.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Competitor
    so the higher number is better in this instance?.

If your 2S(1P) battery is spec'd to produce the power your motor requires, then you will see no gain from having a 2S2P battery. Multiple-P construction is used to increase the capacity of a certain pack over what is available in single cells. It is necessarily more complex and takes more space than single-P construction.
    http://www.scriptasylum.com/rc_speed/lipo.html

RC Competitor
    I wonder what one 2s Lipo would provide compared to the stock battery???

How about just doing what Traxxas recommends for a second stock type NiMh batter and series connector? Of course you would be limited to 50mph or so.

RC Qualifier
    I wonder what one 2s Lipo would provide compared to the stock battery???
    Little more speed may not be noticible but will keep speed longer 7.2v nimh vs 7.4v lipo
    Longer run time 1200 mah nimh vs 2200 mah lipo

How about just doing what Traxxas recommends for a second stock type NiMh batter and series connector? Of course you would be limited to 50mph or so.
    Thats fine I do it all time even though I moved on to lipos I have for of the stock batteries that came with the cars and they work just fine

? also what do you run for batteries and a charging / balancer system?.
    Lots of good batteries out their like the SPC's mentioned in the above posts I happen to use *****'s

Best 50 watt AC/DC Charger/Built in balancer out their imho is the Thunder AC6

http://www.hobbypartz.com/thac6smbachw.html

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by radicalray; 01-02-2011 at 12:01 PM.

RC Competitor
    So i think i am going to get the ********* listed below and also the charger listed below tell me if i am making a good choice. Thanks

Batteries:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/2-LiPo-battery-Y...item43a39e0439

Charger:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Eric,

RC Racer
    Those prices are way too high! Get the charger that radicalray linked to! That's a great charger. A quick google search will get you much cheaper cost for batteries too. Search "******* 2200" and click the first link you see... STOP the bypassing! I got the same pair of batteries you're looking at for $25 shipped in the US.

Edited for Content
    -ksb51rl
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 01-02-2011 at 05:54 PM.
    KB Rally
    Savage Flux HP

RC Competitor
    maxxwrecker07 Thanks i will go with radicalrays suggestion and i PMd you

Quote Originally Posted by MaxxWrecker07 View Post
    Those prices are way too high! Get the charger that radicalray linked to! That's a great charger. A quick google search will get you much cheaper cost for batteries too. Search "******* 2200" and click the first link you see... STOP the bypassing! I got the same pair of batteries you're looking at for $25 shipped in the US.
    Great charger? Please - let's be real. It's a barely passable charger, only really useful for these small batteries. It has a tiny 50W maximum charge power limit, meaning it can't even charge a 5000 mAh 3S pack @ the full (but weak) 5-amp rate. In fairness, I suppose it can charge a couple (two) 2S / 2300 mAh packs in series, and at a 1.3C rate, but that doesn't exactly make it a "great charger."
    If you ever have a vehicle that requires larger batteries, you are going to feel pretty limited with a Thunder AC6.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    Great charger? Please - let's be real. It's a barely passable charger, only really useful for these small batteries. It has a tiny 50W maximum charge power limit, meaning it can't even charge a 5000 mAh 3S pack @ the full (but weak) 5-amp rate. In fairness, I suppose it can charge a couple (two) 2S / 2300 mAh packs in series, and at a 1.3C rate, but that doesn't exactly make it a "great charger."
    If you ever have a vehicle that requires larger batteries, you are going to feel pretty limited with a Thunder AC6.
    True... for a basic lipo charger for the small ones, I agree. My main charger is a 200W unit, but for the small cars, the 50W one will be just fine. He said he was new to electric, so starting off small and simple is probably the best, especially if it doesn't suit his tastes. Electric just doesn't smell or sound like nitro...

.... sorry for the bypassing. I won't do that anymore. Just trying to be helpful.
    KB Rally
    Savage Flux HP

RC Competitor
    My only problem i have now is my Nimh battery stock takes 6 hours how long does it take to charge the lipos with the thunder ac6 without using the fastcharge feature.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by tirado_881 View Post
    My only problem i have now is my Nimh battery stock takes 6 hours how long does it take to charge the lipos with the thunder ac6 without using the fastcharge feature.
    Your new to electric so you will have a little learning curve I came from nitro too, it does get easier.
    The fastcharge term or feature we really don't use in lipos.
    Typically lipos are charged at what is called a 1C charge rate if the lipo is charged at a 1c charge rate the answer to how long will it take to charge my battery will always be approx 1hr.

The 1c charge rate is based on mah of the battery. Here are some examples of 1c charge rate.
    2200mah 2s battery, I set the charge rate to 2.2 amps charge time approx 1hr
    1800mah 3s battery, I set the charge rate to 1.8 amps charge time approx 1hr
    5000mah 2s battery, I set the charge rate to 5.0 amps charge time approx 1hr
    5000mah 3s battery, I set the charge rate to 5.0 amps charge time approx 1hr

if you buy a parallel charge lead as shown in my above post you can charge 2 of yor 2s lipos that we use in the 1/16 Traxxas in 1hr.

*Most lipos that we use in the 1/16 and that includes the SPC's and *****'s can be charged at 2c which would cut the charge time to 30min. But I would say that most but not all still charge at 1c for overall better life

Great charger? Please - let's be real
    Best 50 watt AC/DC Charger/Built in balancer out their imho is the Thunder AC6
    I did make my self clear in the above post the Best 50watt charger
    Last edited by radicalray; 01-02-2011 at 10:07 PM.

RC Racer
    Hey radicalray, where did you get your parallel 2s charge lead? I have one for 3s, but the 2s one is rare, if impossible, to find.
    KB Rally
    Savage Flux HP

RC Competitor
    well i just ordered the batteries from hobby king the charger from hobby parts with a lipo bag and the paralell and extra female connectors from ebay. the ebay stuff is the actual traxxas brand. so i should be good with those. thank you everyone for helping me understand LiPo.

Eric,

RC Competitor
    can i just use the paralell lead that i am going to use in the car for a parellel charge lead as well?

RC Qualifier
    You will also need parallel balance taps

http://www.progressiverc.com/index.p...emart&Itemid=1

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    Man, I would have gone with the SPC's... but to each his own.

RC Qualifier
    If you ever have a vehicle that requires larger batteries, you are going to feel pretty limited with a Thunder AC6

Been charging my 5000mah 3s Hyperion and ***** batteries for the past 2 years at 5 amps with no problems

[IMG][/IMG]

Seems to keep these guys running fine

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by radicalray; 01-03-2011 at 01:33 AM.

Let's do some math:
    50 Watts is the maximum charge power.
    3S is 12.6 volts (maximum)
    Watts = I(amps) * V(volts)
    Therefore, I(amps) = 50 Watts / 12.6 volts,
    or
    I(amps) = 3.96825
    Set it however you like: unless the specs are listed incorrectly, 4 amps (give or take) is the maximum charge rate for a 3S LiPo.

I never said the AC6 doesn't work. I have no idea why you feel such a rabid need to defend your purchase. It is what it is, and has no place as a main charger in my garage. If it fits your needs, fine.

I have no problem believing that it'll take 2 years to charge the batteries for all those trucks. (Attempt to lighten the mood.)

But seriously, I didn't think the descriptions of it as the "Best 50 watt AC/DC Charger/Built in balancer" and "a great charger" were consistent. If you meant "a great charger for the price," I suppose that's fair.

RC Racer
    I meant great charger for the price... It would have no use in my garage either. It would take me about 2 years to charge the two 5200's for the Flux if I didn't have something that could hit around the 10 amp mark.

I was merely trying to provide input that would be useful to the OP.
    KB Rally
    Savage Flux HP

RC Competitor
    Hey radical i have the thunder ac6 and two *******2.2 lipos for my ken block. Just trying to get some recomendations on charging setups, anything i should monitor when charging (other than the size of the fire lol.) also any heads up on quirky things or settings.. thanks

Eric,

RC Racer
    What are the EXACT dimensions of the battery compartment ?? I want to order 3s lipos for it...I want the max mah I can fit in the compartment with no mods.... Any info would be great !! Anyone use 3s in parallel ??
    Bullet proof Spart! 4082,180a,m645 niccccee

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by yankphan View Post
    What are the EXACT dimensions of the battery compartment ?? I want to order 3s lipos for it...I want the max mah I can fit in the compartment with no mods.... Any info would be great !! Anyone use 3s in parallel ??
    The max is 3s 1800mah but it varies depending on the manufacturer so to be sure I will go a little under maybe 1500-1600.

RC Competitor
    This is a pretty good thread!

Looking for a parallel harness? This is better. One board does 1 to 6 S. With the harness, you need a different one for 2s and 3s, etc. at epbuddy.com, look for paraboard.

RC Enthusiast
    I have looked around a bit and this is the only threat where I feel safe to post my question. Sorry a bit of the topic.

I have a 270kv ******* motor and I want the longest run time from it, not looking for speed or burst ect, just looking at the longest run time I can get. I have been looking at these 3 different batteries. Which one would you guys recommend. I am new to the whole Lipo scene and the help would be much appreciated.

1. ******* 5000mAh 4S 40C Lipo Pack
    2. ***** ********* 5800mAh 4S1P 30C
    3. ***** ********* 8000mAh 4S1P 30C

My common sense tells me that it should be the 3rd one, but then again I might be totally wrong...LOL

Any help would be appreciated

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by kleinkoppi View Post
    1. ******* 5000mAh 4S 40C Lipo Pack
    2. ***** ********* 5800mAh 4S1P 30C
    3. ***** ********* 8000mAh 4S1P 30C

My common sense tells me that it should be the 3rd one, but then again I might be totally wrong...LOL

Any help would be appreciated
    For the Traxxas Gymkhana? None of those batteries will fit.

For the 1/16th Traxxas Cars you can fit a 2200 2S, with 2 packs that's 4400 which will give you at least 40 minutes of hard driving or over an hour depending on how you drive.

Check though for the sizing. The 2200s require a bit of battery box modification. The 1800s 2S will fit without modification mostly.

RC Qualifier
    SPC 2250 2s (great packs, come with Traxxas tips) + Onyx 235 (built-in balancing and includes the balance boards and charge leads) = Plug-n-play goodness.

Granted, I have one little car and a couple small packs, so 5-amp cap on the charger is a non-issue.

Last edited by prototyp; 08-23-2011 at 11:42 PM.
    The prototype project.