RC Enthusiast

I'm broken. (So is my brand new slash).

Started my little one out on a stampede. Had a blast with him. I purchased a 4x4 slash to bash with him (after obsessing for a LONG time). This am was the first time we were out together. Went to a construction site and I hit a wooden stake at full speed. Broken a arm on my first pack. RPM here I come. BTW, should I do front and back or can I get away with just fronts? Tks.

RC Racer
    i would just replace it as you break it

RC Competitor
    I would buy both sets but dont replace the back until they break at least get your money out of the stuff that you bought.
    4x4 Ultimate
    "Hold my beverage and watch this!"

RC Competitor
    I'm on my 5th front. 4 of which were RPM.
    "Sic 6s" "The Grass Missile" Tekin RX8 1900Kv T8

RC Racer
    The RPM arms might be better, but if they don't break, something else will. Its easier to replace the arm than a chassis. I have just stayed with stock.
    I fix things till they can't be fixed.

RC Qualifier
    wow what are yall hitting? I roll over and cart wheel and have not broke an a-arm yet. And my truck is very heavy compared to stock.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by fastlane01 View Post
    wow what are yall hitting? I roll over and cart wheel and have not broke an a-arm yet. And my truck is very heavy compared to stock.
    I was wondering the same also. I have cartwheeled and rolled mine dozens of times, even into my thick wooden fence making a bang loud enough to startle any of my surrounding neighbors. I have landed from huge jumps hard on one wheel at angles that made me actually wince in pain for the truck itself and I have yet to open up any of my packs of RPM arms that I bought as spares in the event of a broken arm. Guess I have been lucky.

RC Competitor
    Broke mine the first week I had the truck and I was running at the track when I broke them, left front one day and left rear the next. Granted it is a 1/8th scale track but that shouldnt matter much. Its all in how I landed the big doubles, both times it landed on that wheel first before the other three hit the ground.
    4x4 Ultimate

RC Qualifier
    I have had my 4x4 since they were first released, and I have never bought a replacement set of A-arms, and I am very hard on my truck between racing and bashing it. I would say stay with the stock sets, as they have been better then a set of RPM arms that were on my 2wd slash.

Example: I let my cousin drive the 2wd with RPM arms for his first RC run, and an arm snapped... Switched him over to the 4x4 that had stocks on it, hit a rock with it. The 4x4 flipped end over end about 3 times, and smacked straight into a barbedwire fence at about 25 mph, (made the mistake of leaving sports mode on when running 3s lipo with a MMM/2650kv motor) which made both of us worry about something important breaking on it (or expensive) but it ended up that it just rolled back over and kept on running.
    Last edited by Slasher5225; 01-02-2011 at 10:55 PM. Reason: Spellcheck
    Slayer, Slash 4x4 (MMM/2650kv), & a Summit

RC Competitor
    are you driving it in very cold weather? Maybe it is so cold the plastic is brittle. Take your stock arms and put them in boiling water till it cools down. It will make them less brittle. (awesome trick for spec class racing)
    ******* Lipo Packs ***** Lipo Packs

Quote Originally Posted by Slasher5225 View Post
    I have had my 4x4 since they were first released, and I have never bought a replacement set of A-arms, and I am very hard on my truck between racing and bashing it. I would say stay with the stock sets, as they have been better then a set of RPM arms that were on my 2wd slash.

Example: I let my cousin drive the 2wd with RPM arms for his first RC run, and an arm snapped... Switched him over to the 4x4 that had stocks on it, hit a rock with it. The 4x4 flipped end over end about 3 times, and smacked straight into a barbedwire fence at about 25 mph, (made the mistake of leaving sports mode on when running 3s lipo with a MMM/2650kv motor) which made both of us worry about something important breaking on it (or expensive) but it ended up that it just rolled back over and kept on running.

Which esc are you running?

RC Champion
    I as well I have beat the tar out of my truck for about 10 months now only bashing. I only have one speed WOT. I hit things hard, cartwheels 20-30ft air in the aggregate pits. I also run in construction sites where WOT hits large rock which were unearthed and still I have yet to break an A-arm.

RC Competitor
    Weird how people have different experiances with their a-arms, when mine broke it was in the upper 80's so cold weather was not a factor. Since I have put the rpm arms on I havent broke a single one in about 6 months. If I was really beating the poop out of my truck I would understand but I pretty much only run at the dirt track so I am not really beating the poop out of it and launching it 50 feet into the air.
    4x4 Ultimate

RC Racer
    I've broken one. and that was a wide open hit to a mailbox 4x4. Otherwise, I have had zero issues with the parts on the car, and thats running 3S all the time.
    I fix things till they can't be fixed.

RC Enthusiast
    Well, I'm up and running again. Decided to go with RPM. It was chilly out, I'd say 45 degrees, so the plastic may have been a bit brittle.
    @ fastlane01 - I was cruising at I'd say 3/4 throttle, and thought I was passing a 2x1ish a wooden stake but misjudged. I hit it on the edge so it the impace was a very small surface area. It must of hit the perfect spot, the fender was dented and I had to pop it back out. Still has a ripple in the lexan. Before that I was flipping end over end and everything was fine.
    @ El Sob - Stock Velineon

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by tomasw1 View Post
    Well, I'm up and running again. Decided to go with RPM. It was chilly out, I'd say 45 degrees, so the plastic may have been a bit brittle.

The cooler it gets outside, the more brittle plastic is and the easier it breaks.
    Have fun, just look out for the parts-breaking big stuff.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Zone 5 View Post
    The RPM arms might be better, but if they don't break, something else will. Its easier to replace the arm than a chassis. I have just stayed with stock.
    I agree, i never had a problem with bearing carriers until i went RPM with the A-Arms. not that i don't like the RPM, i have plenty of it, but if you hit hard enough that the flexible rpm parts can't absorb the shock it will transfer on to the stock parts.... coincidentally because rpm doesn't make front bearing carriers and i would rather not go aluminum i now own several extras...
    Slash 4x4/Slash 2wd
    RPM EVERYTHING!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by 383s10 View Post
    ... Take your stock arms and put them in boiling water till it cools down. It will make them less brittle.
    No it doesn't. That is an old myth.

RC Qualifier
    I wonder if Traxxas quietly improves their batches of plastic and metal in their parts upon hearing of repeated issues with certain parts of their vehicles.

I tend to think this because many of the parts that I heard of being weak areas of the Slash 4x4 and prone to breakage easily, have not given me any trouble at all on my 4 month old truck. BUT... on my recent purchase of a 8 month old truck (8 months per the last owner), I am experiencing some of those common issues that folks talk about. Heck, after 5 minutes of driving this 8 month old Slash 4x4 over the same jumps as my other 4 month old truck, it snapped a steering block and C-Block. My 4 month old truck has taken that jump well over a couple hundred times already with never a single fail. But on the 8 month old truck, it didnt make it more than 6 jumps!! All 6 jumps having rather smooth landings too!! So something seems to me like parts get made more durable and word stays within the company.

Another thing I notice (and this REALLY annoys me greatly) is that when Traxxas does upgrade or revise a part, they keep the part number exactly the same so that you cannot tell which part you actually have when buying from a hobby shop. So unless you buy directly from Traxxas, you have NO idea which version you are getting! That is SO frustrating!!!

So, due to this, my suspicion is that they actively revise and upgrade batches of parts, but they keep it all quiet. Just my opinion.
    Last edited by BrokenLexan; 01-09-2011 at 08:10 PM.