Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 41 to 80 of 84
  1. #41
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Southgate, MI.
    Posts
    12
    I keep hearing about these short 4 minute or so runtimes. That bothers me. I want more than a couple of minutes run time when I run my boat. My current RC boat runs between 14 and 18 minutes on my Thunder Power RC LiPo's. They are rated at 5400 Mah 25C. They are 2 cell 7.4V.

    Not being an RC expert what can be done to increase the run times of the Spartan. 4 minutes just dosen't make it for me.

  2. #42
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    101
    It was the temp sensor for the motor that went off. So far I have only run water threw the "y" setup and it seems to flow better. I have not be able to take it to the lake yet with the "y" setup but i will update yall when i do.

  3. #43
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3,138
    Quote Originally Posted by RGrew176 View Post
    I keep hearing about these short 4 minute or so runtimes. That bothers me. I want more than a couple of minutes run time when I run my boat. My current RC boat runs between 14 and 18 minutes on my Thunder Power RC LiPo's. They are rated at 5400 Mah 25C. They are 2 cell 7.4V.

    Not being an RC expert what can be done to increase the run times of the Spartan. 4 minutes just dosen't make it for me.
    FE boats pull a lot of constant amps vs others
    I think this boat is pulling 40-50 amps cont and that = short runs
    one way to have longer runs is to run two 4s, or 5s, or 6s packs in parallel to double the mah
    First MiniSlash
    HK6XL Revo 4s 60mph Amsoil dealer

  4. #44
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    101
    Drove my boat today with the new "y" setup for the cooling system and the motor still managed to get hot enough to go into the safe mode (The esc didnt get hot at all). Its seems to spit out a little more water, which is good, but it just cant handle a bunch of 50 mph pulls. Anyone think that if you replace the rubber jacket with a coiled aluminum/copper pipe that it would cool any better???
    Last edited by dmwilson09; 01-17-2011 at 03:50 PM.
    Rusty VXl
    Spartan
    HPI Sprint2 VXL
    Slash 4x4 PE

  5. #45
    RC Champion djmaincheese's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Gilbert, AZ
    Posts
    1,381
    I was also thinking of replacing that rubber jacket for something more efficient. Im having the exact issues you are except the the water flows pretty good out the side of my boat. When I was running 2X2S packs I had 0 issues, now I put my 6S in there and I maybe get 5 minutes with 6400mah batteries and the motor is piping hot but the batteries and ESC are barely warm.

  6. #46
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    532
    DJ, how is it on 2S packs? Faster than stock NIMH packs?

  7. #47
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3,138
    Quote Originally Posted by djmaincheese View Post
    I was also thinking of replacing that rubber jacket for something more efficient. Im having the exact issues you are except the the water flows pretty good out the side of my boat. When I was running 2X2S packs I had 0 issues, now I put my 6S in there and I maybe get 5 minutes with 6400mah batteries and the motor is piping hot but the batteries and ESC are barely warm.
    I think this XL motor is underpowered for this size of hull at high 40's+ on 6s
    and 35,000+ rpms is a lot for this size of hull on this motor to
    First MiniSlash
    HK6XL Revo 4s 60mph Amsoil dealer

  8. #48
    RC Champion djmaincheese's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Gilbert, AZ
    Posts
    1,381
    filmmaker, I know its still early as far as different testing configurations but almost everyone is having the same overheating problems with this motor.
    Whats a good fit in your opinion about which Castle Motor you think might work more efficiently? They have the 1527/1.5Y Comp Motor or the 1527/2Y Sport Motor. Rated for 8S and 12K Mah
    I wonder if the Stock ESC will work well with a Castle motor??

  9. #49
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    24
    I called Traxxas today and spoke with one of their reps, super nice guy, told me to try and open up the pickup as filmmaker suggested and give that a try, if that does not work send the boat back. So I opened up the pickup with a needle file and went back out to the pond. She made it to 1:50 before shutting down, brought her to shore and checked the temps, receiver was in thermal overload mode (fast red led flash) and the temps ranged from 94-121. Batteries tested at 12.0 volts and 12.1 respectfully. Had to wait 14 minutes before the fast flash red led on the receiver went back to green, tested the temps again and they had lowered to 87 at the temp sensor to 109 at the rear of the motor. Ran her again and this time it made it to 1:40 before it shut down, brought her ashore and checked the temps again, 98- 132. Batteries were at 11.4 and 11.2, and the receiver was again in thermal overload mode (fast red led flash). Video is below...

    Last edited by gunkel; 01-18-2011 at 12:28 AM.

  10. #50
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3,138
    Gunkel..
    can you see a nice healthy stream of water coming out of the exit for the water cooling?
    you should see a really strong stream

    but your motor temps of 94-132 is just fine
    130's is just a tad hot, but not bad.. the motor will live
    Last edited by filmmaker; 01-18-2011 at 02:21 AM.
    First MiniSlash
    HK6XL Revo 4s 60mph Amsoil dealer

  11. #51
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3,138
    Quote Originally Posted by djmaincheese View Post
    filmmaker, I know its still early as far as different testing configurations but almost everyone is having the same overheating problems with this motor.
    Whats a good fit in your opinion about which Castle Motor you think might work more efficiently? They have the 1527/1.5Y Comp Motor or the 1527/2Y Sport Motor. Rated for 8S and 12K Mah
    I wonder if the Stock ESC will work well with a Castle motor??
    this is a bugger about the heat issue, takes the fun out of things..
    but lets get through it
    about your NEU motor, those are sick motors man!
    but the kv is to low for 6s use here
    I think the perfect kv would be between 1350 and 1450kv on 6s for this hull
    If I don't cancel my order with Tower, I will try one of my Castle 1520 1600kv motors on 6s
    I bet upper 50's is very possible with no heat issues at all, and maybe some 60mph runs as well
    the stock esc will not work with the better motors, they may pull more amps than the esc can take, but it sounds like the esc is still running very cool.. Am I right in saying that?
    First MiniSlash
    HK6XL Revo 4s 60mph Amsoil dealer

  12. #52
    RC Champion djmaincheese's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Gilbert, AZ
    Posts
    1,381
    .......posted in the "Overheating Motor Issues on 6S? Anyone NOT having any issues?" thread...
    Last edited by djmaincheese; 01-18-2011 at 03:30 AM.

  13. #53
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3,138
    we are trying to figure out things on this thead
    First MiniSlash
    HK6XL Revo 4s 60mph Amsoil dealer

  14. #54
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    24
    Traxxas asked that I send mine back, they should have it tomorrow.

  15. #55
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by gunkel View Post
    Traxxas asked that I send mine back, they should have it tomorrow.
    Did you get a replacement?

  16. #56
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    24
    No not yet...

  17. #57
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by gunkel View Post
    No not yet...
    Have you called and asked them what is their resolution? Did you pay for shipping back to them or they gave you a prepaid label?

  18. #58
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    24
    Yes I called, they said they are working on it. Yes I paid for shipping back as well...

  19. #59
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Aussie Aussie Aussie, Oi Oi Oi
    Posts
    203
    Quote Originally Posted by gunkel View Post
    Yes I called, they said they are working on it. Yes I paid for shipping back as well...
    keep us informed!
    be interesting to see what there explanation is.
    i would like to no how they test a faulty item it may test ok in the lab . but in the field it can be a totally different story.
    Last edited by wilsta67; 01-25-2011 at 07:47 PM.

  20. #60
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by wilsta67 View Post
    keep us informed!
    be interesting to see what there explanation is.
    i would like to no how they test a faulty item it may test ok in the lab . but in the field it can be a totally different story.
    In the laboratory or not enough in traxxas solve the problem...

  21. #61
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3,138
    Quote Originally Posted by gunkel View Post
    Yes I called, they said they are working on it. Yes I paid for shipping back as well...
    What!
    you had to pay for shipping?
    First MiniSlash
    HK6XL Revo 4s 60mph Amsoil dealer

  22. #62
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by filmmaker View Post
    What!
    you had to pay for shipping?






    You should request for a prepaid label or refund for shipping.

  23. #63
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3,138
    Quote Originally Posted by latraxxas View Post
    You should request for a prepaid label or refund for shipping.
    agreed!
    I have had a few things sent to me from Aquacraft and they never charge me to ship the parts
    First MiniSlash
    HK6XL Revo 4s 60mph Amsoil dealer

  24. #64
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    58
    Just received my ******* 3 s lipo 5000 45c 90c burst I charged them and plugged them into my boat I set the esc for lipo mode. Dry tested the body and noticed the throttle wa sticking and realized the remote was causing a issue I could squeeze the remote near the throttle and it would come on an off then I got a big scare I heard a pop and then a huge could of smoke and the esc burst into flames holy crap I disconnected the batteries as fast as I could and blew out the flames I pulled the esc and batteries out to inspect them the batteries were ok thankfully but the esc was toast leaving multiple black marks inside the hull I was lucky I put the fire out quickly and it didnt get to the lipo batteries I was not running the motor at full throttle at all just low speeds trying to figure out the ghost throttle. I cant even take this boat to the lake it is the middle of winter here everything is frozen still . I will call traxxas in the am and see what to do next and ill let you know what happens
    Justin
    Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

  25. #65
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    38
    wellcome man!! this is the spartan owners nighmare

  26. #66
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3,138
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic77 View Post
    Just received my ******* 3 s lipo 5000 45c 90c burst I charged them and plugged them into my boat I set the esc for lipo mode. Dry tested the body and noticed the throttle wa sticking and realized the remote was causing a issue I could squeeze the remote near the throttle and it would come on an off then I got a big scare I heard a pop and then a huge could of smoke and the esc burst into flames holy crap I disconnected the batteries as fast as I could and blew out the flames I pulled the esc and batteries out to inspect them the batteries were ok thankfully but the esc was toast leaving multiple black marks inside the hull I was lucky I put the fire out quickly and it didnt get to the lipo batteries I was not running the motor at full throttle at all just low speeds trying to figure out the ghost throttle. I cant even take this boat to the lake it is the middle of winter here everything is frozen still . I will call traxxas in the am and see what to do next and ill let you know what happens
    Justin
    Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
    Oh man!
    sorry to hear this
    First MiniSlash
    HK6XL Revo 4s 60mph Amsoil dealer

  27. #67
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by filmmaker View Post
    agreed!
    I have had a few things sent to me from Aquacraft and they never charge me to ship the parts
    Thanks guys for the concern but it's taken care of no problem.

  28. #68
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    58
    Sorry if I hijacked this thread I sent the motor receiver transmitter and esc to traxxas this morning they said they would test everything and replace what is bad also I found out
    The electronics have a 30 day warranty or they replace on a case by case basis just so everyone knows
    Justin
    Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

  29. #69
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    24
    I received my Spartan back from Traxxas today, they replaced the motor, receiver, rudder, and rudder mount according to the paperwork. i have also ordered the new waterjacket and bigger water line however the waterjacket is backordered. The rudder has a slightly bigger opening, pic is attached.


  30. #70
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Aussie Aussie Aussie, Oi Oi Oi
    Posts
    203
    lol that rudder has been butchered :-)

  31. #71
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3,138
    Quote Originally Posted by wilsta67 View Post
    lol that rudder has been butchered :-)
    LOL
    I've never seen a rudder look like that
    First MiniSlash
    HK6XL Revo 4s 60mph Amsoil dealer

  32. #72
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Lafayette, La
    Posts
    11
    Is that the rudder Traxxas sent back to you?

  33. #73
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by gunkel View Post
    I received my Spartan back from Traxxas today, they replaced the motor, receiver, rudder, and rudder mount according to the paperwork. i have also ordered the new waterjacket and bigger water line however the waterjacket is backordered. The rudder has a slightly bigger opening, pic is attached.

    How about the water outlet from the rudder? Was it bigger?

  34. #74
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    60
    make sure you take good care of that rudder. Any small hit might split it in 2.

  35. #75
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3,138
    Quote Originally Posted by Panama Jack View Post
    make sure you take good care of that rudder. Any small hit might split it in 2.
    good call!
    looks like a possible weak spot
    First MiniSlash
    HK6XL Revo 4s 60mph Amsoil dealer

  36. #76
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by stjupau View Post
    Is that the rudder Traxxas sent back to you?
    Yes, this is how it came back from Traxxas...

    Quote Originally Posted by sparticus View Post
    How about the water outlet from the rudder? Was it bigger?
    Nope, same size...

    Quote Originally Posted by Panama Jack View Post
    make sure you take good care of that rudder. Any small hit might split it in 2.
    I understand the principle, however it feels as though it would be ok. I think if I hit something hard enough to split the rudder in two, the hull would crack at the strut mount.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 02-05-2011 at 05:13 PM. Reason: merge

  37. #77
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    531
    Another option would be to replace the shear bolt with a nylon one, hopefully the shear bolt will break before anything else.

    Kevin

  38. #78
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3,138
    Quote Originally Posted by dag-nabit View Post
    Another option would be to replace the shear bolt with a nylon one, hopefully the shear bolt will break before anything else.

    Kevin
    One thing for sure we need on this
    First MiniSlash
    HK6XL Revo 4s 60mph Amsoil dealer

  39. #79
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    24
    I'll bet traxxas has their new batch of rudders coming in that way for the newer models. You can tell because they didn't just mod it, it's been anodized (which you can't just redo after machining)... I'll bet you it now has a .115 or larger id from the pickup through the barb. The reason for the cutout is to increase the water flow for people who like to turn to the right. When turning left with the stock rudder, plenty of pressure and volume, when turning right, both drop to much less efficiency and flow... Just my 2 cents...

  40. #80
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3,138
    not the best way to do a rudder pickup
    First MiniSlash
    HK6XL Revo 4s 60mph Amsoil dealer

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •