RC Qualifier

Is Traxxas Tighten Specs?

Two items of consisting post are the loose hubs and the need to shim the diff's. Purchased a set of new hubs off E Bay, from one of the disassemblers. Installed them and they do not have the slack others have had. They are very tight.

Replaced two diff's, off EBay again, in my Summit/ERevo. They are so tight there is no need to shim. Did try but it was then two tight.

Makes me wonder if this was a strange thing or has Taxxas tightened the manufactory specs on these two items. Anyone else seeing the same thing?

RC Racer
    i did have the same thing happed.. me dont really know what traxxas is doing
    Summit + mmm + 6s lipos = :)

RC Qualifier
    Youre just not driving rough enough. LOL

RC Champion
    I hope so but doubt it. With new products it fits tight but breaks in after a few runs. Next time you clean the diff you will likely be able to use shims.

RC Qualifier
    +1^ Give your hubs a few runs and then you will notice the famous "wobble"........
    Wouldn't you like to know...

RC Champion
    The hubs will wear in time. It is the steel axle that rubs and wears against the soft aluminum that will create slop. As for the diffs it could be a number of things but to be on the safe side I would check them after a couple packs.
    Terry
    X3-RC8T/X2 ERBE/Losi SCTE/SC10 4x4/Baja 5SC/Rusty

RC Champion
    lol. I guess this thread was the last thing i read last night b/c i had a dream i was repairing a differential. Traxxas had finally produced their own 1/8 scale upgraded differential for the e-revo! We can wish right?! lol

It was still made of plastic...
    Last edited by anr2442; 01-14-2011 at 01:24 PM.

RC Champion
    Revos are really 1/10s, but shh

RC Qualifier
    I tried to put heat shrink tubing on the threads, no way would the hub go on, way to tight. Another reason I wonder when I read that is what others have done. Time will tell I guess. Would be nice for the spec's to tighten up and help with both problems.

RC Champion
    This shows some good mods to fix the wobble.

RC Champion
    I have switched to using the Ofna 17mm hubs and so far the slop is very minimal.
    http://compare.ebay.com/like/3901179...=263602_304662
    X3-RC8T/X2 ERBE/Losi SCTE/SC10 4x4/Baja 5SC/Rusty

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by insanity View Post
    This shows some good mods to fix the wobble.
    No way any of those repairs would work with the last set of adapters I received. Not enough room. Time will tell how they hold up.

Quote Originally Posted by anr2442 View Post
    lol. I guess this thread was the last thing i read last night b/c i had a dream i was repairing a differential. Traxxas had finally produced their own 1/8 scale upgraded differential for the e-revo! We can wish right?! lol

It was still made of plastic...
    Now that is funny HEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEH
    If you dream it will it come true?? Hope there are not Plastic. HAHA
    Would you go flip my truck back over??

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by sandblaster View Post
    No way any of those repairs would work with the last set of adapters I received. Not enough room. Time will tell how they hold up.
    You have to drill out the area the threads sit for it to work. There are some in there where the person used JB weld to fill the threads.

RC Champion
    I have had good luck using red loctite on the axle threads. Coat the entire hub adapter and axle with a thin film of silicone shock oil, then put red loctite on the threads of the axle and slide the adapter on and allow it to dry overnight. The silicone film keeps the loctite from locking the adapter to the axle although it will still fit very tight (which is what you want). I have to grab the adapter with a pair of pliers and twist it off but it gets rid of all the slop at that area and lasts a long time. Of course you will always have some wobble due to the bearings but that can only be eliminated with precision bearings, and I have never found any in that size that are that precision.