RC poster

Bearing problems

I am deployed with the Army in a area that is nothing but sand.( LOL imagine that). me and a few fellow soldiers are having some serious issues with center diff. bearings. I have a slash 4X4, and slash 4x4 ultimate. And I can only get about 3/4 of batt. run and bearing freezes and burns aluminum color on center diff. I need a bearing that wont lock on one run. I don't mind doing maintenance I think that is half of the enjoyment of running these trucks. but parts are hard to get and I just need something that will last, and take alittle dust. I am looking at Boca bearings but I don't want to spend this much on something unless it will last. If they wont take it I will just order a bag full of the cheep ones. There are about 8 guys with 10 trucks and any info would be appreciated greatly. we need to keep these trucks running as much as we can.
    Slash 4X4 Ultimate AMS oil paint

RC Qualifier
    Have you done the front driveshaft mod and the larger bearing mod (motor mount)? Sealing up that front hole will help as much as possible (still not a perfect solution) and the larger bearing will handle those harsher environments way better than the smaller bearing.
    Also, I would try using 10k diff oil in the larger bearing and do frequent maintenance on it.
    Stopping as much sand from reaching there should be the first goal.
    Are those 2 drain holes in the bottom of the rear bulkhead closed off with some small 3mm screws.
    Another issue is having the updated driveshaft cover which extends further than the old one covering more of the driveshaft tunnel.
    I do suggest in your situation having a lot of extra bearings and possibly looking into the NewEra front bottom cover (for such harsh environments) and an Outerwears cover.
    I have called up Boca and asked them this also and they claim that those yellow and orange seals are maintenance free (I have yet to put that to the test but do plan on it).

Here's some links:
    http://2008.neweramodels.com/index.c...xas&model=1115

http://www.outerwearsracing.com/prod...sp?prod=202601

As you can see I believe these two products along with the other mods I have mentioned would help in such harsh environments in keeping more sand out than without them.
    Last edited by KingdomRacer; 01-12-2011 at 06:57 PM.
    JESUS says: "Fix it B4 it Breaks!"

RC Champion
    Kingdom I agree with everything except I would (and have) remove the driveshaft cover to allow the sand a way out.
    I would suggest to start with
    - the driveshaft mod (1/2 " alum. tube back over slipper nut.
    - I havent tried the BOCA ceramic bearing but would give them a try since they are supposed to be the ultimate, you can buy just the individual bearing for the center.
    - before you replace your bearing look into the king headz mount first then put in the ceramic bearing
    - the outerwears cover does an amazing job of keeping crap out of the chassis as well.

RC Qualifier
    You might be right with simply removing that cover, I haven't had to go that far with the simple cheap mods I mentioned but sure worth a try.
    JESUS says: "Fix it B4 it Breaks!"

RC Champion
    I run in the sand pits and just found it so much easier to remove the driveshaft cover and the spur gear cover. This way it is easy out for everything, I would say easy in, easy out but debris gets in there even with the covers.

I forgot about the screw holes in the bottom, good catch.

RC Champion
    I wouldn't bother with the new era thing, only heard rubbish reviews and, well, it doesn't really do anything other than protect the servo, which is fairly well protected already !

The Time I Enjoy Wasting Is Not Time Wasted

Oh and I'm using yeah racing stainless steel sealed bearings (YB0236M) they've been great and claim to be maintenance free

The Time I Enjoy Wasting Is Not Time Wasted
    Last edited by cooleocool; 01-13-2011 at 10:29 PM. Reason: merge
    Time I enjoy wasting is not time wasted

RC Champion
    I did the tubing mod and it helped a bunch. I like taking mine too the beach and the sand just kills the center bearing. I put a 1/2"od piece of tubing like Tallguy mentioned the full length from a couple of mm from the front drive gear all the way to the center bearing. Helped a bunch, very little sand can get in. The bigger center bearing does help. You can buy a mount ready to go with a bigger bearing or just buy the bearing and machine out the stock mount to accept the larger bearing. To check mine to see where sand was getting in I poured water in around the motor mount to see if I had it sealed good. If water can't get in then neither can sand. Just a thought.
    Jones
    Having too much fun!