Thread: x box 360 HDD

RC Qualifier

x box 360 HDD

I am a new 360 user, and am quickly realizing that my 4 gig machine will soon require more storage. so here is my question... am i better off buying the microsoft xbox 360 specific HDD for $130 +/- or an other brand external HDD?

The Geek in me is saying put together a cheap 320gig enclosure for about 60 bucks. What do you guys recommend?

some other input i am lookin for is how well does this machine do with media playback? ie digital videos, music and picture collections.
    you must be fast, you were right behind me

RC Champion
    As a media center the 360 is very good. It offers support for many types of media files and has a unmatched network of various features. You can also connect to a windows pc allowing you to access media from it. Now the 360 will never be in the same league as a good computer but it is still very good.

For the hdd I don't think you can go past 250 gb. There are ways to install a standard sata hdd into a 360 but it requires doing some things I don't exactly think are allowed to be discussed here. There is also the problem of getting a hdd case. If you have the new slim model it may be very difficult. I am going to say stick with the Microsoft drive unless you are fairly skilled at using computers. If you feel you can handle doing it yourself I suggest doing some search's on google. I don't think installing a aftermarket hdd is illegal but it probably voids the warranty and the mods here will probably support Microsoft in not wanting it discussed.
    Oderint Dum Metuant

RC Qualifier
    i may be wrong but i believe an external USB HDD can simply be plugged in for extra storage.

RC Champion
    The 360has some strange software. It might recognize a external hdd but chances are it wont let you put anything from the xbox network on it. If you just want to put media on it either install a bigger hdd in your computer or plug a external into it and stream the media to the xbox. You need to understand the the 360 has not been modded yet. The disc drive and game saves can be messed with but the actual console has not been touched. Because of this the 360 is very picky when it comes to outside input. Either stream media or install a Microsoft hdd.
    Oderint Dum Metuant

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by dub c View Post
    i may be wrong but i believe an external USB HDD can simply be plugged in for extra storage.
    You are correct. But in order to use it the way you are speaking of requires you to allow the 360 to format it and only use 16 gb of storage no matter how large the drive is.

XBOX 360 can recognize external HDD's as long as they are formatted in FAT32, but the only drawback I"m aware of is that you can not have video format files larger than 4 gig's which is a limitation of FAT32 not your XBOX. I'm not sure if there are any hard drive size limitations, but I know that people are using externals up to 500 gig's using FAT32.

I also do believe that it will not store games on externals drives either. Not 100% sure of that part. Just Google and you will see.
    All Lives Matter
    United We Stand, Divided We Fall

RC Champion
    There is a limitation for the internal drive on a 360. I am not 100% on the external. But you can not store any xbox live content or profiles or saves. If all you want is storage for pictures, music, and some video support then you can use a external drive. But why get a external drive when your using up the internal storage with standard files? You are much better off to install a larger internal hdd and stream media to your 360.
    Oderint Dum Metuant

RC Qualifier
    Or buy a PS3, enough said..... na 360's are nice and I enjoy playing my neighbors once and a while, but ill stick to my PS3 as it is far more capable then the 360, but to get back on topic I would install a larger internal drive.
    E-Maxx | T-Maxx 3.3 | (2) MERV's | YZ250F

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbyLover View Post
    Or buy a PS3, enough said..... na 360's are nice and I enjoy playing my neighbors once and a while, but ill stick to my PS3 as it is far more capable then the 360, but to get back on topic I would install a larger internal drive.
    Don't start trying to compare the two. Each has its up's and down's. The ps3 is NOT far more capable in any way other than looking like a George foreman cooker and being able to play blu ray which does not matter.

RC Qualifier
    thanx for the replies fellas! so i see that a microsoft HDD is what im gonna get. my 5 yr old has alot of fun surfing and downloading games from xbox live, oh my gosh am i gonna go broke! She is just as (if not more) happy with free trials and demos as she is with purchased games, hence the need for available free space. some of these demos are as big as 900mb.

Both her and I are very happy with our new game system so... please no more A vs B bashing. or else someone might call a honda element a plastic cladded mini van.

RC Champion
    Look around before buying. You might find one of the 250gb ones at a decent price. Once you start downloading stuff it adds up fast. I have 50gb+ of just updates. Then there is downloading the game to the hdd. Putting games on the hdd did not really speed things up unless I had many updates for the game. So don't go crazy and put every one on the hdd.
    Oderint Dum Metuant

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by dub c View Post
    someone might call a honda element a plastic cladded mini van.
    I absolutely love my 4WD Acura RDX motor swap 357WHP Element with a Acura 6speed tranny, 26MPG Box. It was my dads that he built up and gave me for a First Vehicle. What a sleeper it is. We personally call it a toaster on wheels. haha. Next is a 500HP+ Subaru WRX that we are going to build together.

And i didnt hate on the 360, I like my neighbors but it just isnt for me. We use it in our home theater as a Blu-Ray player/Ultimate Gaming system matched with Sony XBR and a Massive sound system. So the PS3 fits our needs better as a Blu-Ray and Gaming system. I agree each has its own pros and cons, but the PS3 has more pros for us. The only con is no Halo for me. but i can ride up the street for Halo with my buddies.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by reapergn View Post
    don't start trying to compare the two. Each has its up's and down's. The ps3 is not far more capable in any way other than looking like a george foreman cooker and being able to play blu ray which does not matter.
    never thought of a ps3 that way but i will now

xbox has halo enuff said
    4x4 slash
    08 F350 6.4 diesel

RC Champion
    When I first saw the original ps3 I thought it was a joke. Something like the nentoaster or something. But it ended up being the actual thing.
    Oderint Dum Metuant

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by warwagon98xj View Post
    xbox has halo enuff said
    I can ride my MX bike to my neighbors enuff said

RC Champion
    I don't recall this thread being about personal opinions on which console people preferred. Some people have very little self control.

RC Competitor
    i pyugged a 1 terrabyte (1000 gigabyt) external hdd to my xbox and only 16 gigabytes where usable

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by slash ultimate 711 View Post
    i pyugged a 1 terrabyte (1000 gigabyt) external hdd to my xbox and only 16 gigabytes where usable
    As I posted earlier it doesn't matter how large the external drive is, if used to save xbox content it will only use 16gb of the drive max.

RC Racer
    4x4 slash
    08 F350 6.4 diesel

RC Champion
    That is not a external drive and only works for the new slim version of the 360. The title is misleading.
    Oderint Dum Metuant

RC Qualifier
    Go on eBay and get a 250 gb drive from an old Xbox. They can be had for about 60 bucks. You can remove the drive from its enclosure and pop it in your new Xbox. That's what I did when I got my new Xbox. They will pop right in with no modification and without breaking any warranty seals on the new Xbox. You should also get a new hard drive enclosure off eBay too for about 15 bucks. If you don't you will need to add something around the hard drive so it does not flop around inside of the new Xbox.

Also I would be weary of those drives from hong kong. With these Xbox systems it is best to stick with OEM parts. Ive heard of consoles being banned from Xbox live for having those drives in them.

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk
    Last edited by silentsnow31802; 01-30-2011 at 02:37 PM.
    Snow