RC Competitor

Shocks and springs, Ill never figure the "perfect Combo" out

Ok so I have been painstakingly reading forum after forum looking for the best shock brand and spring brand set up. After all I have read what I take is just stick with the big bores, and get some losi springs. I am a racer and I tend to get real bouncy when I go over the little bumps followed buy some larger bumps or hills. If there are a bunch of little I'm talking like 3 inch bumps 12 of them in like 4 foot section my truck looses it's mind and gets way out of shape. So i think I am getting too much bounce or just not enough recoil. So can someone shed a little light on the top shocks and springs?

Here's the best I have seen.
    Shocks, front: 2-hole pistons,40wt oil, Losi black springs, mounting positions C & 3
    Shocks, rear: 2-hole pistons, 35wt oil, Losi blue springs, mounting positions C & 5
    MMP
    Nue/Castle 2650
    4x4 Ultimate
    Slayden Setup

RC Qualifier
    I found that thicker shock oil is what absorbs the bumps better. Also try 3 hole piston for the rears. I ran those same springs in the beginning before switching to 8 2.0 with good results and these oils and piston change on a really bumpy technical track.
    50-60wt. Front
    40-50wt. Rear
    (was with 75-90*F)
    My other suggestion is to mount both f/r in the middle top location (this should lower the car a little)

I found this on another site which goes along with what I'm saying with my suggestions, thicker damping and lower the car (just a little) which with this platform is needed because of a much higher COG than typical race vehicles. And this also helps in reducing downtravel.

When you're racing on a big, flowing track that has a lot of shallow, rhythmic bumps in it, don't be tempted to use both a soft setting for springs and damping and a very low roll center: the chassis will roll from side to side in every small bump, resulting in a very unstable, unpredictable car with very little traction. In this case, stiffening both the damping and the springs will increase traction, but it won't be the best solution, that would be raising the RC, and making sure it stays high when the chassis rolls. Note that when the bumps are sort of rhythmic, soft settings for dampers and springs will make the chassis 'resonate' to the bumps, which causes a weird form of instability. In that case, damping and maybe springs that are a little harder would be better; it will make the car skip over the bumps instead of plunging into every one of them very deeply. And it's not just side-to-side movement that can be excessive on a bumpy track: if your car has a lot of negative suspension travel, its chassis can suffer from excessive pitch: it will kind of rock back and forth. The answer is simple: reduce the downtravel. Even though this will make the car bottom out on large jumps and bumps a little more, it will be a lot more stable in bumpy sections, especially sections where the car is accelerating or braking. Taken from: http://profile.php?do=editpasswords.telenet.be/elvo/
    Last edited by KingdomRacer; 01-13-2011 at 01:27 AM.
    JESUS says: "Fix it B4 it Breaks!"

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by SCTRacer View Post
    Ok so I have been painstakingly reading forum after forum looking for the best shock brand and spring brand set up. After all I have read what I take is just stick with the big bores, and get some losi springs. I am a racer and I tend to get real bouncy when I go over the little bumps followed buy some larger bumps or hills. If there are a bunch of little I'm talking like 3 inch bumps 12 of them in like 4 foot section my truck looses it's mind and gets way out of shape. So i think I am getting too much bounce or just not enough recoil. So can someone shed a little light on the top shocks and springs?

Here's the best I have seen.
    Shocks, front: 2-hole pistons,40wt oil, Losi black springs, mounting positions C & 3
    Shocks, rear: 2-hole pistons, 35wt oil, Losi blue springs, mounting positions C & 5
    I run the same motor and spring setup as you are. But I run 60wt oil in front and rear. With the lighter oil I was constantly bottoming out. Heavier oil seemed to work better.

And my track has about an 8ft section of those bumps and compared to my 1/8 buggy, my slash is all over the place also. Can't seem to fix it.
    Last edited by wjmiller3; 01-13-2011 at 11:52 AM.