Thread: Fuel

RC Competitor

Fuel

I would like to know how many you use
    Traxxas Top fuel and why?, I'm asking this because some one told me that Traxxas
    top fuel rust motors and that Traxxas likes to sell motors.

RC Qualifier
    I use it. I use it because it's a good fuel. Never had a motor seize up on me due to rust, lol, nor have I had a bit of rust on or in one of my motors. It would be safe to say that whoever told you that may not have their facts right. Would Ford, Chevy or Dodge still be selling vehicles if they produced bad motors just to sell more motors? Nope. You will be fine using Traxxas Top Fuel.
    If you can't beat it....destroy it!

RC Enthusiast
    The guy at my LHS told me when I bought the slayer to use Traxxas fuel. He said that in the event of a engine related call to customer support, it's the first question they ask. Seems to work ok...I only got 3 tanks through mine because of the winter weather here. Now that I have a good temp gauge...as soon as the temps come up to near 50....I'll be finishing the break in.

To the OP, if that's the case then you'll hear a lot of griping about it and Traxxas is not as great of a company as I thought them to be. Many people here run Traxxas fuel with no issues. You have to consider your source and consider where they are getting their "facts" from--get the whole story. I run Byrons fuel and if I don't take care of the engine and let it sit in water, sure it will rust. Then I could say that running Byrons causes the engine to rust.
    The Super Derecho

That's the reason to do after care when your done for the day, weather you use ARO or WD40.

Leaving nitro fuel sit in your engine is a bad idea~~leads to rust~~any brand will do this.

I know some fuels say you don't need to to do after care but in my engine it gets after care regardless of what the side of the fuel bottle says.

After all you have to shell out the coin for an engine, I want mine to go as far as possible .
    Look out for the tree/crunch!

LiPo? Naw NITRO!!

RC Competitor
    Thanks for all the help guys, I'm going to keep using Traxxas Top fuel, and for the guy that told me that it rust motor I will
    tell him he's full of crap!!!.

I don't know if any of you go to Hobby People to buy fuel but if they tell you you can't buy gallons of Traxxas Top fuel in Calif
    because of the cap there FULL of crap!!.

RC Qualifier
    Not sure if it's the same for Tower Hobbies, but I buy mine in quarts from them...but I don't live in Cali so not sure if that will work for you either.
    If you can't beat it....destroy it!

RC Competitor
    I would stick with traxxas fuel!

When i buy fuel, i get 1 gallon of traxxas 20% for 30 bucks at my store

Really the only complaint I've heard with Traxxas fuel was by racers because it has such a high oil content. I've always ran Traxxas fuel in my 3.3 and haven't had any "fuel" related issues. I've also ran some Wildcat 20% in my 3.3 which ran really good as well. Wildcat fuel uses Klotz 2 stroke oil which is pretty much the best performance 2 cycle oil you can get.

You'll hear some guys say "well I burnt up motors running (so and so) brand fuel". What they fail to realize is that 90% of the time it's not the fuel's fault but how they tuned and cared for the motor.

RC Champion
    I agree with carguy on his second paragraph, and if you,re are tearing down engines after every race, and repairing and/or replacing everything, you can afford to sacrifice a little lube in the fuel, as a basher, why take the chance? just use the traxxas fuel and be done with it, my opinion is, if traxxas engineered the formula to run in their engines, it,ll run in their engines, and even traxxas fuels bottles state, just like morgan fuels, that you dont have to use after run, but the do qaulify that by saying "short term storage", which morgan fuels doesnt say, they just say, dont use after run oils, mama used to say "each to his own said the old lady as she kissed her cow" so use whats best for you!
    Master of Traxxas engine longevity....

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by cadmanslayer46 View Post
    I agree with carguy on his second paragraph
    Same here!

I have found over the years that my Traxxas engines ran cooler on Traxxas 20% than any other fuel I've tried with 20% nitro content. And that's with the needles at the same settings.
    My Revo, which now has an OS 18 in it will get a taste of Traxxas 33% in the spring, as well as my Jato which still has the original 2.5 that has always been run on Traxxas 20%. I bought the Jato the first day that the original 2.5 Jato's hit the shelves at the lhs. I think the year was 2006, but not 100% sure. Anyway, that's a lot of running for a rusted out old engine lol!
    33%