Thread: E-Revo or Slash

RC Champion

E-Revo or Slash

I don't mean to start a flame war I'm sure that's already been hashed once or twice, but I'm wanting back in the game, electric this time, and am torn between the simplicity of the Slash and the potential of the Revo.

I'll probably be running around the yard more than anything, but am trying to talk some buddies into getting into it too so we can get some racing going on. I want to be competitive, not totally overkilling, but I want the edge.

I have no idea what they will get if they do.

Pro's / Con's please?

Thanks for the help in advance!

The Slash leans more towards Short Course racing, which is basically light offroading and small jumps. The E-Revo is designed for heavier offroading. Both are excellent vehicles, it really is up to you as to what your application is going to be.

Unless you are getting into sanctioned/club racing, I'd go with the E-Revo just because I think it is more versatile and can do what the Slash can do and even more. But in the racing scene Monster Trucks are not as popular as they used to be, so if your into racing then the short course trucks are more popular these days. Even Steve Slayden has dropped out of MT's and has gone short course.
    All Lives Matter
    United We Stand, Divided We Fall

RC Qualifier
    My fiancee' has the eRevo, and between us we have 3 Slashes (2wd).

eRevo, excellent platform, as monster trucks go- it Rocks!
    pro= Tough, stuff breaks eventually, but it takes some hard usage to get there. Better than the Slash at romping through stuff like sand and snow.
    con= Expensive (compared to the Slash), takes 2 batteries (more expense), enclosed compartments limit what you can put in there.

Slash, awesome trucks! Wouldn't hesitate to reccomend them.
    pro= Lighter than the eRevo, great at jumping, can really take some punishment, cheaper to purchase and run (only 1 battery), has battery tray expansion kits so you can run larger/odd shaped batteries, lower costs means your buddies might actually be able/willing to afford to keep up with you.
    con= Not really made for going into soft stuff like sand/snow-it'll do it, yes, but not great at it. Not a big fan of the* plastic motor mounting plate*, might wanna keep some spare spur and pinion gears on hand wherever you go.

For yourself, you'll be happy with either one. If you're looking to get others into the hobby with you, the eRevo might be a little more than they'll want to deal with.

Edit: The mounting plate for the motor is plastic. No, they're not mounting plastic motors on these things! )
    Last edited by Trubble; 01-14-2011 at 04:36 PM.

RC Champion
    I have to agree with Trubble. I love my erbe and would suggest everyone get one if ever possible but if you have a chance to get your buddies involved I go with the slash simply because of price.

RC Champion
    Well, you all have succeded in talking me into the Revo. I do think when / if I do this it'll be the brushless version. I'll just let the others catch up. I can program the ESC to not give WOT / stick with NiMH batteries to keep competitive with slower people. Maybe I'll get lucky and get some others into the hobby.

Now its just a matter of convincing myself that I really want to drop that much cash on a 'toy'.

RC Champion
    As a side note, my financial advisor (wife) was somewhat enthused about how much it was. [/sarcasm]

RC Qualifier
    Slash 4x4. Cheaper than E-revo. More fun than an E-revo and a slash 2wd, IMO. I own (ed) all 3
    ERBE ~ Rusty VXL ~ Pede VXL ~ 2 Slash 4X4's

RC Champion
    I'm still mulling on this guys .... I really like the ERevo cause it looks darn near bullet proof. The Slash looks like the shock towers will break, specially that front one. To me ... the wide stance of the Revo looks rather appealing. I like the idea of a possible 6s LIPO. The slash seems to be limited to 3s, unless you use a rediculously large 4s battery. The Revo looks like you can litteraly beat the snot out of it and it'll still hold together.

I want something that will just work! All the time, as long as I have hot battereis for it. Aside from upgrades, I don't wanna be working on it all the itme to fix broken stuff. I can see myself buying lots of aluminum upgrades and / or spending the money on a Slash that would equate out to the cost of the Revo.

My reservation about the Revo is, it just costs a lot of money.

I used to dispise when people would say this, but now that it's years later in my life, I can say this. It isn't the money that's the problem, or the lack of, it's my willing to spend that much money on a Revo. I've got the money, but it's just a lott amoney to spend on a 'toy'.

RC Champion
    I hate to sound like a butt (one of the guys that works for me calls me a polite 'short for Richard' because of my ways with words), but please don't just tell me, get this because it's better. I'd really like to know your reasoning, besides just because you have one and that's what you have. WHY ... do you think it's better. WHY ... do you have it instead of the others.

A little of my history .. I used to have a Nitro Rustler and a couple of Sports. The NR was a bit more into it than the Sports. I had a lot of work and money dumped into them. I bought a T-Maxx but never really messed with it a whole lot, I sold it to a friend of mine. I think it was mostly because the NR was my baby, it was quick and I could drive it like I Wanted and it did what I wanted. The T-Maxx I never really took the time to get into hard. The NR consumed more of my time.

That also gives me a little more reservations about the Revo. I do like the engineering and enginuity that's built into the Revo, that's a HUGE turn on for me. The Slash looks like a glorified Rustler, which I had (E Rustler) when I was a kid. It was old enough it came with a mechanical speed controller.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I will choose the e-revo overall traxxas vehicles, have you seen a slash with a mamba monster? have you consider the e-revo 1/16 it is awesome.
    Last edited by RC-Fan; 01-18-2011 at 10:34 PM.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by RC-Fan View Post
    I will choose the e-revo overall traxxas vehicles, have you seen a slash with a mamba monster?
    All this BL and ESC stuff is new to me to be honest.

Like said above ... please explain.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    The e-revo 1/10 brushless comes with the mamba monster system (most powerfull system capable of 6s lipo batt) that's why it is expensive, look on youtube some reviews about each car will help, or at the e-revo forum.
    Last edited by RC-Fan; 01-18-2011 at 10:57 PM.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitronaught View Post
    Even Steve Slayden has dropped out of MT's and has gone short course.
    I still have Radio Control Car Action T-Maxx Power Players book with quite a bit of his setup info. I had a friend who ran a T-Maxx with his setup info and he could destroy just about any field at any track with some minor setup changes. Makes me wanna find that book and a Maxx to mod out.
    Last edited by speedracer30; 01-18-2011 at 10:57 PM.

RC Qualifier
    The slash in my opinion is by far the most durable truck traxxas makes! Mine is almost completely stock after almost 2 years! The only things I have done are steel output yokes, rpm rear bearing carriers and rear rpm arms and that is a rear on vxl and lipo doing absolutley stupid big jumps and having really bad landings and coming into contact with trees and other trucks and if you are looking at a mt I know the ERBE is tuff but if you are getting a mt I would go with the savage flux hp because it's cheaper, tougher and has a drivetrain that can handle 6s out of the box without worrying

And with some tuning of the suspension, a savage can stick with a revo on the track
    Last edited by Mustang63; 01-21-2011 at 08:57 AM.
    Vxl Slash
    Xerun E-Maxx
    HT Aftershock

RC Champion
    I should say ... I ordered the Slash Ultimate 2 nights ago. I also ordered a battery charger, forget which one, a 2s and a 3s Lipo. I also got a fan for the ESC. I followed that with an order from another sight for a bigger battery hold down and a handful of pinion gears, and a 52T spur.

The parts should arrive Monday, and the truck, batts, and charger Wed. I'm a bit anxious to say the least.

RC Qualifier
    Sweet, that will be a good in-between, watch the temps on the motor while running 3s, if you want to stay waterproof, you could keep the vxl esc and use a Kershaw L size motor to keep temps down. What batts and charger did you get?
    Vxl Slash
    Xerun E-Maxx
    HT Aftershock

RC Enthusiast
    I really enjoy my Slash. Took it to the local race today and had a blast. It just looks like a whole bunch of mini size trophy trucks racing around, very realistic looking versus the buggies & truggies. Also seemed like us short course truck guys didn't mind the rubbing & bumping either.

RC Champion
    I forget the brand name .... but the 2s was a 5k+mah 40c. The 3s was a 5k+mah 25c. I didn't get the charger I wanted because no one had it in stock. I'm not sure I really want it after doing some research though.

Venom Pro CHarger Plus??

The CHarger I got is a Vantage B6S, the email doesn't show the brand name. The 3s battery is the same brand. The 3s is COmmon Sense RC.

E-REVO!!!
    JATO 3.3
    Stampede Build
    DeWalt 12v E-REVO on 4s