Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RC Qualifier

Overheating Motor Issues on 6S? Anyone NOT having any issues?

Just curious if anyone has been getting full throttle runs on 6S and lasting for the entire 6S pack until LVC mode kicks in

RC Enthusiast
    mine overheated 4 min into run on lipos 3 different times so i brought it back to the hobby shop and they changed the esc havent had a chance to run it yet cause its frozen but i got it back and all my controls were oposite and the prop does not stop spinning when you release trigger keeps turning slowly till i tap towards reverse and the trim doesnt work on throttle either gotta bring it back again tommow

make sure that you have it set to lipo mode my esc wold not change the setting from nihm packs thats why they changed it
    Last edited by cooleocool; 01-17-2011 at 10:09 PM. Reason: merge

RC poster
    I got mine before Christmas and it was overheating since day one. On 4s packs maybe 5-7 min max and 6s 4-5 min max. This is definitely an overheating issue with the motor. Since then, I have shipped it back to Traxxas for them to take a look at it. This was in 50 degree weather in FL so i would hate to see what happens in the summer. I hope they will let me know soon what the problem is because this boat is insane when running properly! I hope Traxxas will test it on the water to see what everyone with an overheating issue is dealing with.

RC Qualifier
    Keep us posted on what they say,do

RC Racer
    Mine has been doing the same. I y'd my tubing as soon as the water comes in the boat and then i y it back right before the water leaves. I ran it today and got about a 8 min run time (2 more than stock) before the motor got too hot. I had different size tubing in the boat when i ran it today, so i went to the hobby shop to buy tubing that was all the same size. I also opened up the water pickup with a dremel to see if that will force water in faster. Hopefully i can run this week some time to see if any of those mods helped.
    Rusty VXl
    Spartan
    HPI Sprint2 VXL
    Slash 4x4 PE

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    you can use a point file to open the rudder pickup some
    it only takes a little, and it works great on my SV27
    I can run all day long back to back on some big props and my temps never get over 120* on the motor and 110* on the esc
    First MiniSlash
    HK6XL Revo 4s 60mph Amsoil dealer

RC Enthusiast
    No luck for me after opening up the pickup, temps are in the 90-120 range however the receiver still goes into thermal overload mode.

Would this cooling coil be more effective than the black rubber jacket?
    Are they easy to make or is it easier just to buy one. I would like to have the whole motor covered from front to back and see if that helps the overheating issues at all. Aluminum will cool the quickest correct?

RC Enthusiast
    I think first what we need to know is what the threshold temp is, once we no that we can determine the best way to keep the temps under that.

RC Racer
    I'm starting to think I should cancel my order from Towers ?? This overheating is bad.
    Bullet proof Spart! 4082,180a,m645 niccccee

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by gunkel View Post
    No luck for me after opening up the pickup, temps are in the 90-120 range however the receiver still goes into thermal overload mode.
    Bro is your motor only getting to 90-120*?
    that's a totally safe range for these motors
    you could get away with 160*, so these lowers temps are just fine
    First MiniSlash

Yup, no heat issues with the ESC or Batteries what so ever. Im going to pick a temp gun tomorrow and see where I am after a full out 6S run right as she shuts down.
    I was told that the Leopard 3674 BOAT Motor or the Great Planes Ammo 36-88 1280KV may work very well in these boats. I'm going to try an aluminum water jacket first before I do anything drastic

I would love to know the setup/conditions they ran and how long before the test boats when into thermal shut down.

"The VXL-6s Marine electronic speed control is built for true 6S LiPo power.* On-board low voltage detection helps you maintain your batteries. The extra voltage and current maximizes the potential of the Velineon 540XL motor for extreme 50+mph speed. The rebuildable, sensorless Velineon 540XL motor is designed for high-rpm performance and reliability with ultra high-temperature sintered Neodymium magnets, a precision-balanced rotor, and efficient, high-speed ball bearings. Cooling water is routed through the innovative speed control case and then into a unique sealed motor jacket that allows cooling water to flow directly against the motor for maximum possible heat transfer. The Spartan keeps its cool, run after run, for trouble-free all-day fun."

RC Qualifier
    I know huh. Like they say the slash can handle 3s. No overheat issues with that right? I'm thinking they need to revamp the velineon motor. I wonder if i should cancel my order as well. Let's see what trxspartan cAn tell us what traxxas did and if it worked. Keep trying things guys so when and if i. Get mine i can do the changes right away to avoid overheating.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by yankphan View Post
    I'm starting to think I should cancel my order from Towers ?? This overheating is bad.
    I'm seriously thinking of canceling my order with my LHS until they get this issue sorted out. No biggie for me since everything will be frozen until springtime anyway. And they should have the back orders caught up by then, so reasonable to assume you can obtain one in a few days after ordering.

A few people are suggesting the idea of a new motor like this one. Saying I should get a lower kv rating and slightly bigger prop.

http://www.nitrorcx.com/96m811-3674--1300kv.html

Worst case is it's only $50, I definitely want to find something that works because I don't want to get rid of this boat.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I'de say that motor that was suggested by the guys at OSE would be a great choice!
    your temps will be in check and 50's are possible now with that motor I would say with a little bigger prop on it
    First MiniSlash

What prop do you reckon with that motor film?

RC Qualifier
    OK GUYS,
    I called Traxxas Tech Support on this issue. He told me that they haven't had many issues, only 1 that is known, so I would say to call them to make this issue known. He said make sure flex cable is operating smoothly and also maybe reroute the water intake to the motor 1st then to ESC. make sure theres a steady stream of water.

AND A BONUS
    I asked what batteries they use when testing: He said they mostly use 4 8000 MAH 3S Batteries (didnt say what brand)
    They run 2 on each side with parrellel connectors. (he said to make heavy duty ones with 12 gauge wire, the stock ones traxxas makes are light duty) Still should see 50MPH with 2 5000MAH 3S batteries but he said run times will be what u guys are getting 8 to 10 minutes.
    Last edited by Shaun78; 01-18-2011 at 12:06 PM. Reason: ....

RC Qualifier
    i wonder if 4 batteries will make it handle better. Who will be the 1st Test Pilot??

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaun78 View Post
    OK GUYS,
    I called Traxxas Tech Support on this issue. He told me that they haven't had many issues, only 1 that is known, so I would say to call them to make this issue known. He said make sure flex cable is operating smoothly and also maybe reroute the water intake to the motor 1st then to ESC. make sure theres a steady stream of water.

AND A BONUS
    I asked what batteries they use when testing: He said they mostly use 4 8000 MAH 3S Batteries (didnt say what brand)
    They run 2 on each side with parrellel connectors. (he said to make heavy duty ones with 12 gauge wire, the stock ones traxxas makes are light duty) Still should see 50MPH with 2 5000MAH 3S batteries but he said run times will be what u guys are getting 8 to 10 minutes.
    the fist part is what we all are saying about making sure we see a stream of water coming out

the second part about 4 8000mah packs is a lot of weight!
    16,000mah of 6s .... 8000mah 3s4p? wow that's over 3x the weight of running 5000mah 3s packs in series
    so it sounds like by this comment you must maxamize and get the biggest packs possible to see 50mph?
    and some complained when I said I'm going to run 5000mah 5s2p and 5000mah 6s2p

Quote Originally Posted by djmaincheese View Post
    What prop do you reckon with that motor film?
    on the CC1520 I will try out a X445 pop and a X645 as well
    I bet low to mid 60's with the X645 runnig 6s2p 5000mah
    Last edited by cooleocool; 01-18-2011 at 09:08 PM. Reason: merge
    First MiniSlash

RC Racer
    Dont know how much better it will work, but the Traxxas Support Guy said to move the water jacket closer to the temp sensor on the motor.

Also, what temp will ruin these motors??? If we can keep it under that temp (whatever it is) on a few runs, couldnt we just take the temp senor off the motor.
    Rusty VXl
    Spartan
    HPI Sprint2 VXL
    Slash 4x4 PE

Im thinking of getting a longer aluminum jacket and see if that helps.
    I wonder at exactly what temp the receiver is programmed to shut the motor down. Seems like it happens at exactly the same time for many users running 6S.
    Has anyone had a chance to get a temp reading right after the boats goes into thermal protection?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmwilson09 View Post
    Dont know how much better it will work, but the Traxxas Support Guy said to move the water jacket closer to the temp sensor on the motor.

Also, what temp will ruin these motors??? If we can keep it under that temp (whatever it is) on a few runs, couldnt we just take the temp senor off the motor.
    Bingo!
    I think the esc is possibly set to low for temps
    I'm seeing what others have posted that the temp sensor is set off somewhere around 130*
    these motors can run upto 160* without any permanent damage
    First MiniSlash

RC Racer
    This is starting to make sense !! But we still need to know the temp. of the motor when it fails to be certain it's a sensor problem. I guess you could disconnect the sensor if it's triggering at 130....130 is kind of low for a thermal shutdown.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    This is starting to make sense !! But we still need to know the temp. of the motor when it fails to be certain it's a sensor problem. I guess you could disconnect the sensor if it's triggering at 130....130 is kind of low for a thermal shutdown.
    160* is doable for these motors
    getting to 180* could start causing issues
    First MiniSlash

RC Racer
    what are the dimensions of the motor i was wandering if one of these type cooling jackets would be better it could cover more of the motor. i think aluminum would disperse heat better than rubber.
    http://shop.rcboatbitz.com.au/index....products_id=60
    Last edited by wilsta67; 01-19-2011 at 01:55 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Hey Film, When running 4 6S packs on the spartan, the only advantage is more run times correct? U would think with all the extra weight that the boat would be slower right? In your other post, how can u run 5S?

Maxxamps has some 9000 mah 3s packs. But who wants to spend 200 for 1 when u can buy 4 *******s and still have money left
    Last edited by cooleocool; 01-19-2011 at 08:12 PM. Reason: merge

RC Racer
    I think the sensors are triggering at to low of a temp.

RC Enthusiast
    Wow! The issues with the Spartan are mounting. I hope Traxxas is monitoring these discussions. I am becoming concerned and educated at the "potential" problems. I've received my boat but have yet to put it in the water. At least now I'm better prepared to anticipate/deal with some of the issues. HEY Traxxas!......Are you listening?

Yikes! I just priced 8000 mah batteries....$150 and up in price! x4....I don't think so! I'm beginning to think I may have to settle for 30mph boat and 20 minute run times....all other issues aside. Anyone interested in a new Spartan? Kiddin'....for now.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 01-19-2011 at 08:13 PM. Reason: merge

RC Qualifier
    This boat has been on my list since it was announced... looking forward to Traxxas resolving the issue before I purchase. I want to thank all of you for being the test dummies

JK. sorry for your issues.. good thing its mid winter and the water around me is all frozen
    Traxxas please sell kits!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaun78 View Post
    Hey Film, When running 4 6S packs on the spartan, the only advantage is more run times correct? U would think with all the extra weight that the boat would be slower right? In your other post, how can u run 5S?
    I think they ran 4 3s packs for total of 16,000mah..
    yes that is a lot of weight but in a boat of this size it could be a good thing, but I don't have mine yet to try this out..
    with the extra weight it helps keep the boat stable at higher speeds but you do not want to run that setup at lower speeds because of the excess drag the weight will put on the hull causing more amp draw that could actually hurt the esc and motor
    if that makes sense...?
    and yes you will have much longer runtimes with that much Mah
    it could be 3x longer than running 5,000mah.. The Mah is like the gas tank (volume)

and when I run 5s, I will run my two 5s packs in parallel
    but you could run a 3s pack and a 2s pack together in series
    First MiniSlash

RC Racer
    Well, i took the boat for a spin today and after doing the y mod, making the water intake bigger, and moving the water jacket closer to the temp sensor on the motor, I was able to run the boat for an entire 6s battery (10-12 minutes). I was also getting a lot more water going threw the tubing and there was a nice stream coming out the side of the boat. NOW, i did check the temp on the motor after the run and it was......... 183.5......Hott!!!!, but the boat never went into the safe mode. I dont know where i heard it, but i have always thought brushless motors couldnt get over 200. Anyways, It was a good run with many WOT pulls.
    Rusty VXl
    Spartan
    HPI Sprint2 VXL
    Slash 4x4 PE

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by wilsta67 View Post
    what are the dimensions of the motor i was wandering if one of these type cooling jackets would be better it could cover more of the motor. i think aluminum would disperse heat better than rubber.
    http://shop.rcboatbitz.com.au/index....products_id=60
    That would likely be the case if the heat has to transfer through the rubber. The blurb DJ posted above (in red hilight) suggests the design of the cooling jacket allows the cooling water to come in direct contact with the motor case, so heat transfer should be fairly efficient assuming the water is contacting a reasonable amount of surface area of the case.

Part of the question remains whether or not the cooling jacket is large enough, and has enough volume of cooling water passing through.
    Last edited by dag-nabit; 01-19-2011 at 03:59 PM.

RC Racer
    183.5* on the motor... what about the esc temp ?? Can you post a pic of your y tubing set up ??

RC Racer
    Both the rubber jacket and the aluminum jacket allow water to come in direct contact with the motor case, the aluminum jacket is just longer and will allow more of the motor to be cooled.

TRAXXAS - you need to make a bigger Rubber Jacket, one that is almost the same length as the motor!!!!!!!!!!

183.5* on the motor... what about the esc temp ?? Can you post a pic of your y tubing set up ??
    I will post a picture of the setup later today. I was more focused on how hot the motor was that i did not even think to check the esc. Will do that next time, but if i had to take a guess, the esc will not be hot.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 01-19-2011 at 08:14 PM. Reason: merge
    Rusty VXl
    Spartan
    HPI Sprint2 VXL
    Slash 4x4 PE

RC Qualifier
    Both the rubber jacket and the aluminum jacket allow water to come in direct contact with the motor case, the aluminum jacket is just longer and will allow more of the motor to be cooled.

TRAXXAS - you need to make a bigger Rubber Jacket, one that is almost the same length as the motor!!!!!!!!!!
    That being the case, I agree that a well designed aluminum cooling jacket should be more efficient since the aluminum itself will absorb heat where it contacts the motor case, whereas the rubber would be more of an insulator.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by dag-nabit View Post
    That being the case, I agree that a well designed aluminum cooling jacket should be more efficient since the aluminum itself will absorb heat where it contacts the motor case, whereas the rubber would be more of an insulator.
    I agree and go to this website, they have a good selection of aluminum jackets.

http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/products.php?cat=66
    Rusty VXl
    Spartan
    HPI Sprint2 VXL
    Slash 4x4 PE

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Well, i took the boat for a spin today and after doing the y mod, making the water intake bigger, and moving the water jacket closer to the temp sensor on the motor, I was able to run the boat for an entire 6s battery (10-12 minutes). I was also getting a lot more water going threw the tubing and there was a nice stream coming out the side of the boat. NOW, i did check the temp on the motor after the run and it was......... 183.5......Hott!!!! , but the boat never went into the safe mode. I dont know where i heard it, but i have always thought brushless motors couldnt get over 200. Anyways, It was a good run with many WOT pulls.
    To me that's to much?
    this tell me that the xl motor is not enough
    even going down to 1400kv on 6s would be better
    I personaly think this boat should have been built for 6s fun, not 4s and 6s because the kv is just to much for his size of hull on 6s in my opinion
    First MiniSlash

RC Qualifier
    Good site, lots of neat stuff there.

RC Racer
    If the esc doesn't get hot, maybe try re-routing the tubing to the motor first (without a y connector), then esc.... to get more cooler water pressure to the motor immediatley. Just a thought...maybe it will be less than 183.5

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast