Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    RC Racer
    Hi all well i took the spartan out for its maiden voyage today and i managed to gps the thing.
    i think traxxas will need to look at the over heating issue! my first run i got 3 minutes out of it before it cut out from over heating. i noticed that the boat has a water flow issue there isn't a lot of water coming out the side of the boat very strange its barely spitting out.
    the motor was red hot i could not even leave my finger on the thing for more than 2 seconds is this normal?
    i tried again after 30 minutes but the red light was still flashing.then again at 40 minutes and it was ready to go. so into it again and 2 minutes later it cuts out again. grrr! oh i also gps it and guess what it doesn't do 50mph! sorry traxxas but how do you get 50mph out of this thing. i clocked it at 67.7kmh which = 42.07mph flat out in race mode using 35c 5000mah lipo packs.
    other than that the boat handles beautifully and its a shame we are have these problems because you cant enjoy the thing
    proof you ask!
    here you go! ;-)

RC Racer
    I have a question... could this be used ? Don't need water cooling for it....so put the water cooling directly to the motor only ?? Just a thought.... http://www.hobbypartz.com/07e-c-plat...a-opto-v1.html
    Bullet proof Spart! 4082,180a,m645 niccccee

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by yankphan View Post
    I have a question... could this be used ? Don't need water cooling for it....so put the water cooling directly to the motor only ?? Just a thought.... http://www.hobbypartz.com/07e-c-plat...a-opto-v1.html
    i dont no! i have a bigger aluminum water jacket on order im going to try that see if it helps. i dont really want to go changing electrical stuff at the moment. untill i see what other people will do. and if traxxas comes up with a solution to this.

Hey Wilsta, do you have a picture or link to the bigger water jacket you ordered?

This one looks ok but I wonder why they really only cover half the motor.

http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...-leopard-4074L

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by djmaincheese View Post
    Hey Wilsta, do you have a picture or link to the bigger water jacket you ordered?

This one looks ok but I wonder why they really only cover half the motor.

http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...-leopard-4074L
    that one is only 44.5mm pretty much the same length as the stock jacket. the one im getting is off ebay australia its a 50mm he also has 60 mm and he sends world wide.
    http://cgi.ebay.com.au/rc-boat-540-b...item563f7acda4

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/rc-boat-long-...item5639f05555

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/rc-boat-540-b...item563fdd6142

Nice. This one looks long enough but I think the castle motor cans are bigger in diameter than all the other motors...no?

http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...od=ham-neu1521

From what I hear the aluminum jackets will work better than the stock silcone so anyone I can get no matter the size will work

RC Racer
    Nice. This one looks long enough but I think the castle motor cans are bigger in diameter than all the other motors...no?

http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...od=ham-neu1521

From what I hear the aluminum jackets will work better than the stock silcone so anyone I can get no matter the size will work
    dont you think the ones in my link will fit the stock motor?

Yes as long as they are 36mm (Inner Diameter) they will fit.
    I actually just purchased this one for $16...

60mm Long

RC Racer
    is this for the stock motor or the new motor your getting. or will it fit either??
    where did you get it from?

It will fit on both motors, its the 540XL version

Here's the link

http://kintecracing.com/Water_Cooling_BQFJ.html

RC Racer
    It will fit on both motors, its the 540XL version

Here's the link

http://kintecracing.com/Water_Cooling_BQFJ.html
    thanks looks great i just ordered one as well looks better than the one i ordered previously.

RC Qualifier
    let us know how it works and fits and we'll all order one

RC Qualifier
    I'm no ESC expert, but I'm going to guess no. There is no water cooling on that ESC and no reasonable way to provide air cooling inside the hull. Not sure how it would hold up to getting wet either.

Also, from what I have read, ESC's designed for aircraft use can't take the continuous high amp draw required for FE boats.

This is all guessing, but I believe you are better off purchasing an ESC designed for marine use.

Kevin

RC poster
    I am following this closely. I really want to buy one (Spartan) but I will keep my current boat until these overheating issues and short run times are corrected. On my current boat the water flow is more than sufficient even at less than WOT speeds. I have pulled the boat after a good 10 minute run and the motor and esc are not even warm to the touch.

Traxxas needs to correct this problem. It seems to me the waterpickup is to small. Mine has a tube behind the stern that is designed to pickup lots of water.

RC Racer
    What about something like this ?? It has 2 water pickups...can use one for the esc and one for the motor....

http://bonzisports.com/catalogue/pro...roducts_id=271
    Bullet proof Spart! 4082,180a,m645 niccccee

RC Qualifier
    What about something like this ?? It has 2 water pickups...can use one for the esc and one for the motor....

http://bonzisports.com/catalogue/pro...roducts_id=271
    That's a nice upgrade, certainly an option worth trying.

RC Qualifier
    The rudder looks nice. But I dont see where it tells what size it is. I don't see any measurements listed. You could end up with something huge. Most bonzi stuff is gas boats that are big isn't it? Like 50" to 84" hulls. Look closely at the site.

Best I've found is a speedmaster dual pick up rudder that around 6" long. But the pick ups are half way up it. I was thinking of getting one and cutting it down to be the same as the stock Spartans.

But even then this cooling system may not be the real problem. Could be something else at hand.
    Last edited by JPriami; 01-23-2011 at 04:10 PM.
    Land, Sea & Air, A true RC Addict

RC Qualifier
    It's -2 degrees with a windchill of -20. I wonder if the spartan would overheat now? Too bad i dont have mine yet to try. If i did it would have to be salt water because all the ponds and lakes are frozen,obviously.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by dag-nabit View Post
    I'm no ESC expert, but I'm going to guess no. There is no water cooling on that ESC and no reasonable way to provide air cooling inside the hull. Not sure how it would hold up to getting wet either.

Also, from what I have read, ESC's designed for aircraft use can't take the continuous high amp draw required for FE boats.
    This is all guessing, but I believe you are better off purchasing an ESC designed for marine use.

Kevin
    any air esc can be converted to run in boats
    you buy an esc for the amp load demands, they can take high amp loads

this water pickup will help
    easy instal

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXRDF9&P=Z
    Last edited by cooleocool; 01-25-2011 at 03:17 PM. Reason: merge
    First MiniSlash
    HK6XL Revo 4s 60mph Amsoil dealer

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by dag-nabit View Post
    That being the case, I agree that a well designed aluminum cooling jacket should be more efficient since the aluminum itself will absorb heat where it contacts the motor case, whereas the rubber would be more of an insulator.
    I haven't read all the posts, but the aluminum doesn't contact the motor. There should be rubber seals that isolate them. I would think the little time the water stays in the can wouldn't make much of a difference. Could it be possible that the opposite is happening, the water not staying in the cooler long enough? Just a thought.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by oscarel View Post
    I haven't read all the posts, but the aluminum doesn't contact the motor. There should be rubber seals that isolate them. I would think the little time the water stays in the can wouldn't make much of a difference. Could it be possible that the opposite is happening, the water not staying in the cooler long enough? Just a thought.
    no not even close
    having constant cool water flow is the best way to cool these motors
    First MiniSlash

RC Champion
    I can't believe I don't see anyone running a Castle high quality motor in there ! I'm a bit surprised - that people are surprised that a "blue can" motor is overheating too. Remember when the Slash 4x4 came out and it seemed like most people were overheating ? A while later some started using the much beefier motor like the MMP/2650 combo, or the 550 size Novak can, and the problems were solved. If you are new to Traxxas I can understand the surprise, but for those that have been around for a while, seems like you would have expected to just toss the stock motor, like many a VXL.... what did you expect ! I'm not Traxxas bashing but they are well known for advertising the top speeds (but in reality, only under perfect running conditions, and perfect vehicle set ups), and IMHO using BL motors that are on the wimpy side, instead of being slower and tougher (lower Kv, longer, wider motors)....
    What are the measurements of the "540 XL" motor anyway, I don't see them yet... Seems like a 1717 size Castle would be ideal, on 6s. They still have some for $70
    Remember those Leopard motors are NOT from Castle, they are copies @ the Pres at Castle Creations.. I would think one of the new 4 pole motors would be great, as they have more torque, and the construction of the newest line, can go over 200* by design. I'm pretty sure they are coming out with lower Kv in the near future with the new 4 pole series.
    Can the mount fit a 550 can or the 1/8 size Castle motors or does it need to be drilled ?
    3905 E-MAXX

RC Racer
    BT_EMT
    What are the measurements of the "540 XL" motor anyway
    its a 3674

RC Champion
    A bit expensive, but might be interesting to use an active water pump, vs. the passive pickup, as that would cool the motor at slow and idle speeds.

http://www.micropumps.co.uk/index.html

Last edited by BT_EMT; 01-29-2011 at 09:17 PM.
    3905 E-MAXX

RC Racer
    My boat is sorted doesn't get hot lovin it

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by BT_EMT View Post
    I can't believe I don't see anyone running a Castle high quality motor in there ! I'm a bit surprised - that people are surprised that a "blue can" motor is overheating too. Remember when the Slash 4x4 came out and it seemed like most people were overheating ? A while later some started using the much beefier motor like the MMP/2650 combo, or the 550 size Novak can, and the problems were solved. If you are new to Traxxas I can understand the surprise, but for those that have been around for a while, seems like you would have expected to just toss the stock motor, like many a VXL.... what did you expect ! I'm not Traxxas bashing but they are well known for advertising the top speeds (but in reality, only under perfect running conditions, and perfect vehicle set ups), and IMHO using BL motors that are on the wimpy side, instead of being slower and tougher (lower Kv, longer, wider motors)....
    What are the measurements of the "540 XL" motor anyway, I don't see them yet... Seems like a 1717 size Castle would be ideal, on 6s. They still have some for $70
    Remember those Leopard motors are NOT from Castle, they are copies @ the Pres at Castle Creations.. I would think one of the new 4 pole motors would be great, as they have more torque, and the construction of the newest line, can go over 200* by design. I'm pretty sure they are coming out with lower Kv in the near future with the new 4 pole series.
    Can the mount fit a 550 can or the 1/8 size Castle motors or does it need to be drilled ?
    You are correct that the leopard motors are not from Castle, and I don't think anyone would guess that...
    but they are possibly made by the same company in china..
    First MiniSlash

RC Champion
    It's in the RC Monster forums, but I think Patrick said their Chinese factory is not making them, but another Chinese factory is making a carbon copy of it, but at lower qualities like maximum magnet temps etc. If the factory was in the US then a patent lawsuit could be filed, but that's one issue with a foreign factory, they can pretty much make a fake Deans, fake TRX connector etc., and not much can be done about it.
    3905 E-MAXX

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by BT_EMT View Post
    It's in the RC Monster forums, but I think Patrick said their Chinese factory is not making them, but another Chinese factory is making a carbon copy of it, but at lower qualities like maximum magnet temps etc. If the factory was in the US then a patent lawsuit could be filed, but that's one issue with a foreign factory, they can pretty much make a fake Deans, fake TRX connector etc., and not much can be done about it.
    some of us have been following the Leopards and are possibly seeing them being the same as the new castle motors with the same material qualities (same guts), but for much less in price
    First MiniSlash

RC Enthusiast
    Well, its my turn. Test runs on stock nimh were unspectacular with abbreviated run-times. The batteries reached temps of 140+ but the esc and motor ran cool. i didnt clock the time. Dropped 3s lipos in (after enabling lvc) and BAM! She ran like a screaming banshee..... for what seemed like an eternity but certainly longer than the nimhs. She came to screeching halt in the middle of the lake, thank goodness for favorable winds. Pulled her in and the motor is seized! A delayed (had to wait for the boat to drift in) temp reading was 130+. Pilot error?....possibly; or is it a redeaux of the aforementioned issues of overheating. I've ordered previously mentioned upgrades....Leopard 3674 1300 and aluminum h20 jacket. I've opened H2o inlets/outlets though was running stock set-up. Coincidentally, I've named my boat "Miss Chaos" for reasons other than boat issues but it somehow seems appropriate.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by shc View Post
    Well, its my turn. Test runs on stock nimh were unspectacular with abbreviated run-times. The batteries reached temps of 140+ but the esc and motor ran cool. i didnt clock the time. Dropped 3s lipos in (after enabling lvc) and BAM! She ran like a screaming banshee..... for what seemed like an eternity but certainly longer than the nimhs. She came to screeching halt in the middle of the lake, thank goodness for favorable winds. Pulled her in and the motor is seized! A delayed (had to wait for the boat to drift in) temp reading was 130+. Pilot error?....possibly; or is it a redeaux of the aforementioned issues of overheating. I've ordered previously mentioned upgrades....Leopard 3674 1300 and aluminum h20 jacket. I've opened H2o inlets/outlets though was running stock set-up. Coincidentally, I've named my boat "Miss Chaos" for reasons other than boat issues but it somehow seems appropriate.
    If you run Nimh packs down to far they will get very hot

And one thing with running any FE, it's a good idea to make a few 30sec passes and bring it back in to check temps
    ... sounds like the motor went thermal
    First MiniSlash

RC Enthusiast
    Traxxas has taken a beating on the Spartan. And it appears justifiably so.
    >The response from Traxxas from has been flacid, at best. The people that
    >bought this boat trusted the Traxxas name and unfortunately the "hype" on
    >the boat.
    >
    >#1698450. I had normal (less than 30mph) runs on nimh. Two passes on 3s
    >lipos
    >and the engine fried. Yes, I switched the esc. No the thermal protection did
    >not degrade the boat.
    >
    >I beleive I am done with Traxxas and suspect I am not alone. I have owned a
    >T-Maxx for years and will sell it to offset the cost of repairs to the
    >Spartan. The Spartan will be an experimental boat. Though I've learned a
    >great deal for the Traxxas community; I've learned more about Traxxas.
    >
    >Equipment failure is one issue but for Traxxas to "downplay" an obvious and
    >well-docuemnted problem with their product is problematic. I understand the
    >boat has been an Albatros from the get-go with badging/labeling.
    >As a customer that should not be my problem but that appears to be the case.
    >
    >Subsequently I have re-badged my boat (literally) the Albatross. It looks
    >good, by the way.
    >
    >If I can find time I'll send you a photo. Good luck.
    >
    >Steve

Hello Steve,

I have forwarded your comments and opinions on to our Customer Service Manager.

Best regards,
    Steve Lindholm,
    Traxxas Customer Service

RC Enthusiast
    I suspect that may have been my last post.

RC Qualifier
    Rancho Tehama or Red Bluff area or California
    How much this boat cost this is redicilous. Seems like traxxas quality is going down. I haven't seen a titan yet but looks like it is all molded cheap plastic. Where is the cost coming from for this boat? That looks like a cheap motor. Even uses an external thermal senser? And then the water jaket around the motor? Where is the aluminum?
    Anyone check out the Super Vee 27r yet? For comparison wise. By the specs it should be in the same class as a HOT! titan?
    Broken parts=New better parts

RC Enthusiast
    Shame on you! It's the "Spartan" no the "Titan"... the lawsuit was settled.

RC Enthusiast
    Ran the sparty for the first time yesterday, first on nimh and it was ok! Switched to 6s lipo and WOW!! I have made the adjustments on the rudder inlet,barb on top of rudder and the outlet. No problems that I can tell. Boat did a roll once back on it's bottom, kept wanting to pull down to the right side at full throttle, brought it in and the prop shaft adjustment was loose and was moving around, tightened it up and ran like a scalded dog, about a minute went into low voltage protection and is was after it did flip over on it's top,got in the Jon boat to retrieve it,kept it upside down till I got the cover off shook out the water I could and ran it till low protect mode. Motor temps were 100 F with a fluke temp gun. Still got some work to do and get a gps for speeds.Ran for about 11 minutes total run time

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by nunster View Post
    How much this boat cost this is redicilous. Seems like traxxas quality is going down. I haven't seen a titan yet but looks like it is all molded cheap plastic. Where is the cost coming from for this boat? That looks like a cheap motor. Even uses an external thermal senser? And then the water jaket around the motor? Where is the aluminum?
    Anyone check out the Super Vee 27r yet? For comparison wise. By the specs it should be in the same class as a HOT! titan?
    the SV is a sweet boat for 4s racing
    I would love to a 4s race between the two
    First MiniSlash

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123