RC Qualifier

Any one got SUMMIT tires on their 1/16 REVO???

Hey i would like to buy this for my little brother since he likes big tires and they are also nice looking.
    So is that a direct replaced or do i need bigger hexagons? i would love to see some pics if u have any.

Same hexes, same wheel nuts, work fine with MERV axle lengths.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by uninterrc View Post
    Hey i would like to buy this for my little brother since he likes big tires and they are also nice looking.
    So is that a direct replaced or do i need bigger hexagons? i would love to see some pics if u have any.

Direct fit, just gear it down (16/50)
    Last edited by RC-Fan; 01-18-2011 at 11:13 PM.

RC Qualifier
    haha they look great i am definitely getting those, thanks a lot. i would be running 2 3s 1500mah in parallel do you still think the gearing is ok?

RC Champion
    RC-Fan, I think your tires are on backward. Well at least 2 of them.. Right front and Left rear look OK but left front is backwards. lol
    Always in Trouble for trying to help out.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by madkawi650 View Post
    RC-Fan, I think your tires are on backward. Well at least 2 of them.. Right front and Left rear look OK but left front is backwards. lol
    yeah I know, I put them just for the pic they don't have the nut screwed in.

RC Qualifier
    so how is handling compared to the old tires?

can you also reply to this question?
    i would be running 2 3s 1500mah in parallel do you still think the gearing is ok?

RC Qualifier
    so how is handling compared to the old tires?

can you also reply to this question?
    i would be running 2 3s 1500mah in parallel do you still think the gearing is ok?
    i am referring to the 50/16 gearing

RC poster
    Here's mine with geodes and bead locks.

RC Qualifier
    looking good, my brother will love them.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    i am referring to the 50/16 gearing
    I don't run those tires on my merv those belong to my summit I did it just to see how it looks. With that gearing 16/50 your merv will be slower as the summit is, but you have to do it to prevent overheating.

RC Qualifier
    ok didnt thought of that, cause i didnt know the stock motor cant take those with speeds like that, so are u talking about the motor overheating, will the ESC be ok? how bad are we talking about, can the motor take those tires for a round and survive?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    ok didnt thought of that, cause i didnt know the stock motor cant take those with speeds like that, so are u talking about the motor overheating, will the ESC be ok? how bad are we talking about, can the motor take those tires for a round and survive?
    . I guess that's the stock gearing for a reason, if traxxas found that's the best gear to run. Like I said I don't run those on my merv so can't tell you how much overheating is going to cause runing it with a bigger pinion. The best you can do is try and measure the temps.

RC Qualifier
    They have a cool tread I find!

Here, mounted on RPM 2.2 Revolver Wide wheels

The blue Subaru have the traxxas 1/16 Rally wheels mounted on TopCad aluminium wheels
    What have you learned today?

So those that are running these, do you like them? Thought about buying a set, gearing down and run 3s to make up some speed ( running 2s now) Do you like the change?
    Slash 4x4
    Stampede 4x4
    Stampede 2WD

RC Competitor
    Can you give me a link with part number to the revolver wide wheels? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Papino View Post
    They have a cool tread I find!

Here, mounted on RPM 2.2 Revolver Wide wheels

The blue Subaru have the traxxas 1/16 Rally wheels mounted on TopCad aluminium wheels

RC Qualifier
    2.2 Revolver Wheel (wide wheeelbase) link

This other link might be useful for your next searches... : Google

RC Qualifier
    those are nice looking rims, good offset to, thats more offset than the summit wheels right?

Papino what gearing are u running on?

RC-Fan i did realize that u r not running the tires i am just asking the board, i have the spectrum dx3s so that will help m keep track of the temps. i will let u know.

RC Qualifier
    for those with summit tires and a 16t pinion, can you still pull wheelies??

RC Qualifier
    hey, i put some summit rims and tires on my merv, with the 23t pinion, and the tires work good, but it heats up pretty bad, so i took them off. if you do buy them, be SURE to gear down! just the extra 23t pinion that the merv comes with for 50mph wont do it, and you will lose alot of speed, but if u wanna crawl around with it, they are good tires.so take it from me, gear down or u will fry your esc! lol

keep in mind that the stock summit gearing is 16/50 with the larger tires. and still it thermals a lot (cannot really handle parrallel nimh at all - 5 minute thermalling). I geared down to 16/55 and it is a world of difference, long runs with parrallel nimh without thermalling - but you lose some speed. I ran series nimh for a while and the power was crazy - wheelied uncontrollably (on 16/50) then the esc died

- and that was that.
    MAN, Use Common Sense.
    Outside? THERE IS NO BOX !

RC Enthusiast
    i use the 19/55 gearing for the summit tires

RC Qualifier
    how come some of these pictures are messed up? please guys, can you fix it.
    Sony Action Camera, My new toy

RC Qualifier
    whats the gearing the merv comes with stock? i dont know the numbers...lol

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by willy911 View Post
    whats the gearing the merv comes with stock? i dont know the numbers...lol
    Pretty sure its 28/50 and you are given the 23t pinion in the box to use with 3S for speed runs.
    Always in Trouble for trying to help out.

RC Qualifier
    yeah, i put the 23t pinion on, with the summit tires, and it still overheated, i take it i should still gear down more? and im just running nimh batteries in paralell

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by willy911 View Post
    yeah, i put the 23t pinion on, with the summit tires, and it still overheated, i take it i should still gear down more? and im just running nimh batteries in paralell
    Yep, gear down if its still overheating.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by noir 522 View Post
    keep in mind that the stock summit gearing is 16/50 with the larger tires. and still it thermals a lot (cannot really handle parrallel nimh at all - 5 minute thermalling). .
    what do you mean by thermalling? i dont get why it you wounldnt be able to run nimhs in parallel with the 16/50 gearing, i mean the summit has 2 battery compartments too for parralel...

simple - ran the truck with 16/50 (stock gearing) with nimh in parrallel for longer run times (7.4v nimh) - esc and motor got hot within 10 minutes and the truck shuts itself off. Let truck cool down - unplug and replug batteries , ran it again truck overheats and shuts down again within 5-7 minutes, repeated one more time and the same thing happens. Decided to try nimh in SERIES - truck ran like a whipped greyhound - crazy wheelies - tearing up the yard - within 3 minutes the esc dies - no movement at all motor just jerks and humms I try it again a few days later, truck would only cogg/ surge forward slowly ( too slow and jerky to even call it driving ) within SECONDS the esc was hot. After 3 more attempts with the same results I called it quits before something catches fire. 1 week later with a new esc and 16/55 gearing (nimh in parrallel) the truck runs all day long with only moderate heating from the motor - no thermalling.
    Last edited by noir 522; 05-05-2011 at 07:09 PM.
    MAN, Use Common Sense.
    Outside? THERE IS NO BOX !

RC Qualifier
    Old thread but i do research about gearing with summit wheels.
    I have read about another also that have got the esc to hot on 16/50 on NiMh or 2s.
    Why is the question, because summit is the same car and it stock with 16/50.
    Could it be the e revo body not so mutch ventilated?
    Or to hot summer weather?
    I get summit tires tomorrow and a 16 gear. The plan was 16/50 but now im unsure.
    Last edited by Ray87; 07-11-2017 at 11:55 AM.

RC Champion
    16/50 will be fine 99% of the time with summit tires on 2 cells. I run big joe II's on 2 cell packs i parallel geared 16/50. They are bigger than summit tires. The only time I ever overheated was when I was running in a small yard with deep grass and a lot of acceleration and braking.
    Dacaur

RC Qualifier
    Yes, going from 28 to 16 should be enough.
    It like you say it depend on the driving.
    I have also get a stock slash vxl very hot on NiMh.
    Just drive around in grass or spinn a lot on sand and stuff like that will make heat.
    Since the stock summit is the same car and Traxxas deliver it with 16/50 i think its a great setup.
    But sure checking the temp is always a must no mather What setup i use.
    What is a max temperature on esc/motor that is so high that it need a 5-10 min break?

Seems like a lower gearing than 16-50 would be 16/55 since 16t pinion is the minimum.
    Last edited by Ray87; 07-11-2017 at 02:06 PM.