Thread: gearing

RC Qualifier

gearing

i am running 2s and 3s and i am wondering what gearing is everybody running?
    Revenge 1/8 buggy

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    it depends on the surface you run and tires/wheels you using, if you running stock tires and runing on pavement I guess a 26/50 is good, measuring the temps will help also.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by RC-Fan View Post
    it depends on the surface you run and tires/wheels you using, if you running stock tires and runing on pavement I guess a 26/50 is good, measuring the temps will help also.
    i am running traxxas 7171 traxxas dish wheels with proline dirt hawgs 2.2. I mainly run on pavement and maybe will do a very little grass running. I really bought this for a speed demon and to take on vacation and work with me. As it will fit in my luggage when i go to work (work out of town 3days a week).
    Revenge 1/8 buggy

RC Qualifier
    I run the exact set up, cant remember what gear set up I have since I havent ran it much in all the snow we've had. BUT, I will take a look tomorrow sometime and let ya know.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by tha-mule View Post
    I run the exact set up, cant remember what gear set up I have since I havent ran it much in all the snow we've had. BUT, I will take a look tomorrow sometime and let ya know.
    thanks man. are you running 2s and 3s lipo as well?
    Revenge 1/8 buggy

RC Qualifier
    yeah, I run a set of boost 2s lipo's in paralel and a i'm not sure what kind of 3s, it came with the car. (as well as nimh for when my friends drive it) but I run 23/55 (pinion/spur) most the time and it seems to do well, cant remember exact temps right now, but I know they were fine for both 2s and 3s. Remember, runnin on grass can really get the temps up wuick on these lil guys, a good general rule of thumb is if you cant hold your fingers to it for a few seconds, its probably to hot. I suggest getting a temp gun of some sort, comes in extremely handy, and could save you money in the long wrong by being able to keep your temps in check.
    Also I havenoticed that the dirt hawgs do not balloon as much as the stock tires, so even tho they are taller, I think the stock ones come close to overall dia. when they balloon, so if its speed runs yer lookin for, you could always go up a tooth or 2 on yer pinion, or down size the spur geat. hope this helps, I feel like I'm rambling lol
    Last edited by tha-mule; 01-24-2011 at 09:46 AM.

RC Enthusiast
    19/55 with Proline Road Rage tires and Bead Lock Rims. I was getting over 180 degrees with the 23/55 at about 9 minutes of running. Stays below 160 now with all bashing. 3S Veno Lipo's on this one. I run Hyperion in his big brother the ERB.
    Last edited by dmigod; 01-24-2011 at 01:57 PM. Reason: 23/50 to 23/55

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by dmigod View Post
    19/55 with Proline Road Rage tires and Bead Lock Rims. I was getting over 180 degrees with the 23/55 at about 9 minutes of running. Stays below 160 now with all bashing. 3S Veno Lipo's on this one. I run Hyperion in his big brother the ERB.
    what is your tire O.D? the ground hawgs are about 3.5" also, I think the reason you may have been gettin hot with the same gearing as I, could be do to the extra weight if the bead lock rims? I wanna say I'm around high 140's to low 150's. I could be wrong tho. I know I have NEVER exceeded 170, even with other gears, buit I watch me temps close when I'm experimenting.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by tha-mule View Post
    what is your tire O.D? the ground hawgs are about 3.5" also, I think the reason you may have been gettin hot with the same gearing as I, could be do to the extra weight if the bead lock rims? I wanna say I'm around high 140's to low 150's. I could be wrong tho. I know I have NEVER exceeded 170, even with other gears, buit I watch me temps close when I'm experimenting.

I am pretty sure it is due to the extra weight of the Beadlocks. I will be running that gearing with the stock tires and the Dish Rims with the Traxxas Pin Tires as well. I have only ran that gearing with the Proline Beadlock and Road Rages so I will have to test with the other wheels. I am using a Fluke Laser Infrared for the temps while testing.

RC Qualifier
    Yeah me too, I also have a fluke lase gun and a craftsman laser gun as well