RC Enthusiast

Anyone make a chassis upgrade?

I busted the front of my chassis today. Looks like I'll have to gut out everything. I know traxxas has the replacement chassis. Does anyone like RPM or Integy etc. make a better upgrade? I can't find one.

RC Champion
    Kershaw design has one... pretty cool, pretty expensive
    Slightly Addicted

RC Champion
    The stock chassis is the best alternative. If you need more strength consider the stock chassis with the RC Solution roll cage for E-Revo.
    send $10 at paypal.me/Ray1964

RC Champion
    no doubt the stock is the most durable.... goes for many of the parts when it comes down to it.. ERBE/Erevo... made too well to always hunt changes for some parts , some not , but mostly in my point of view
    Slightly Addicted

RC Qualifier
    why dont you try to support the chassis and stay with the stock? i am getting an erbe soon, hope so, i was expecting it tomorrow but it will have to wait, i have been thinking as seen and heard that the chassis do brake how to support it. i thought of adding upper chassis bracers using stock erbe pushrods or something stronger, many have done it here for the the rear but it would be good if you could find a wayto mount one at the front.

upgrading to strong aluminium skids plates (F/C/R) i think would also give great support to the chassis and to the bulkheads which i think would also require the use of stronger than the stock pushrods as upper bracers to balance the force transfered from the stronger skidplates.

i cant think of anything else, so any ideas would be helpfull. if anyone has managed to mount an upper chassis bracer to the front please show some pictures

RC Champion
    RC Solutions cage is the best way to go if you want to stiffen up the chassis. It might be a hundred bux, but its worth it.

Alu skids wont wont do anything for the chassis, it will just protect the plastic skids.

The best way to protect against crashes... Dont crash. If the truck is too fast for you, go with lower voltage lipos until you figger out how to use the force.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by freeagent View Post
    RC Solutions cage is the best way to go if you want to stiffen up the chassis. It might be a hundred bux, but its worth it.

Alu skids wont wont do anything for the chassis, it will just protect the plastic skids.

The best way to protect against crashes... Dont crash. If the truck is too fast for you, go with lower voltage lipos until you figger out how to use the force.
    well try to think of t differently. why does the front or rear end of the revo chassis break and when? in most cases its when you jump with a bad landing or crash straight on a wall car tree...... why does it brake? because it bends...right? so for the front or rear end of the chassis to bend the whole front or rear part (bulkheads, skid plates etc.)has to bend with it as they are interconnected. i leave the rest to you.........

RC Qualifier
    i totally agree with the roll cage idea, its kinda the same thing like if you had a full one piece lower skid plate running from front, center to the back, but the other way round

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by uninterrc View Post
    well try to think of t differently. why does the front or rear end of the revo chassis break and when? in most cases its when you jump with a bad landing or crash straight on a wall car tree...... why does it brake? because it bends...right? so for the front or rear end of the chassis to bend the whole front or rear part (bulkheads, skid plates etc.)has to bend with it as they are interconnected. i leave the rest to you.........
    The thing is, I dont have to look at it differently. I know what the cage does, Ive had one. It totally locks the chassis down, f/c/r, it ties it all together. When You break the chassis, 9 times out of 10 its at the front or rear tab that the bulkhead mounts to. And the cage will keep it from moveing. The other odd time is if you slam into something from the side or some other freak occurence..

Dont get me wrong Ive hit trees before, sometimes it sucks, but most of the time everything is ok. If you are hitting walls, you should practice some more in an open field

With the nitro revo there are still some 1 piece titanium skidplates kicking around, that alone enough to protect the bottom, and keep the chassis straight in all but the most serious of crashes, if you add the rc solutions cage and use the skid, your revo is pretty much unstoppable..
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 01-27-2011 at 08:40 AM. Reason: content

RC Qualifier
    you could do an electric conversion on a nitro chassis if you want aluminum chassis....

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by freeagent View Post
    The thing is, I dont have to look at it differently. I know what the cage does, Ive had one. It totally locks the chassis down, f/c/r, it ties it all together. When You break the chassis, 9 times out of 10 its at the front or rear tab that the bulkhead mounts to. And the cage will keep it from moveing. The other odd time is if you slam into something from the side or some other freak occurence..

Dont get me wrong Ive hit trees before, sometimes it sucks, but most of the time everything is ok. If you are hitting walls, you should practice some more in an open field

With the nitro revo there are still some 1 piece titanium skidplates kicking around, that alone enough to protect the bottom, and keep the chassis straight in all but the most serious of crashes, if you add the rc solutions cage and use the skid, your revo is pretty much unstoppable..
    as i said i agree with the roll cage idea, as you said you have it you tested it and it works, so are there any other roll cage on the market today for the revo?

also please let me know who makes the 1 piece titanium skidplates for the nitro revo, would it fit the erevo?
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 01-27-2011 at 08:40 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Meebert View Post
    you could do an electric conversion on a nitro chassis if you want aluminum chassis....
    yeah you could do that but it would look ugly........i like the plastic one, especially if you dye it black

RC Competitor
    This is an area I am currently interested in as well. It is why I joined the board so I am following this thread with interest.

Somebody mentioned KD earlier but I am in the process of the KD 5" chassis conversion. Time will tell. I cannot give an opinion yet.

They have a matching aluminum chassis. By that I mean it is the same length as the stock chassis. It is different however in that it allows for larger battery packs. Deeper battery compartment - allows for 3s, thicker batteries. In so doing it appears to sacrifice ground clearance and battery protection however.

Very pricey too.

I have heard some on here complain about kershaw designs customer service. I have no complaints personally however.

http://www.kershawdesigns.com/

Then navigate to "products", "E Revo" then - "E-Revo LCG Chassis V2.5 $169.99"

Also, here is a concise video on the build;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgUGdIEIw2E

The video also points out a few minor glitches with the kit. Like you will have to solder on your own platforms for your receiver and ESC using aluminum stock readily available at home depot. I inquired about this. Answer was its not an oversight. But left up to individual design. I would prefer they design a place for these items at KD and the kit arrive ready to go.

Just an option. **** pricey one however.....

k
    I am their leader, which way did they go?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by uninterrc View Post
    yeah you could do that but it would look ugly........i like the plastic one, especially if you dye it black
    it would look ugly but if the brushless transmission fits or can be modified to fit the nitro chassis you could have an aluminum chassis upgrade for $20 and some dremel work, plus some flat aluminum to mount batteries on the sides. The layout might never look "clean" but i'd imagine the chassis would hold up to abuse better.

(knight81)
    The kershaw chassis might lower the batteries but if the skidplates hit the ground first then you're in pretty good shape