RC poster

Need Help w/ High Pitch Noise

As the title states. I am getting a really high pitch whining noise. It sounds like it is coming from the pinion and spur but I can't isolate it. I am running the 13t robinson pinion and 54t Traxxas spur. I had to get the robinson pinion b/c the stock one came loose and shredded everything and that is all my LHS had in stock. The noise didn't start until I installed the MIP Xduty cvd's for the rear. The first run, tested for like 2 minutes and it acted like it was binding so I tore it down again and figured that out. I have since torn the truck apart twice and have gone over everything in the rear end. I cleaned and oiled all the bearings, checked the rear diff., the mesh is good. I have also tried the center diff as well and get the same noise. The motor seems to spin fine when not attached to anything but as soon as I attach it starts the whining noise. When I have the rear end out everything spins nice and smooth as well.

Any one have any experience with this type of problem? Please help.

Thanks Chris
    Slash 4x4

RC Racer
    I usually associate high pitched noises to a slipper clutch issue. Have you check the slipper to verify it is setup correctly?
    Parts are cheap...glory lasts forever.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by evanhuntrc View Post
    I usually associate high pitched noises to a slipper clutch issue. Have you check the slipper to verify it is setup correctly?
    Can't be the slipper if it still does it w/ the center diff right? Doesn't the CD replace the slipper?
    When Boy When, Are You Gonna Get Your Act Together

RC Champion
    yes it does.
    *Proud Husband of United state's Air Force wife.*

RC Enthusiast
    Your rear driveshafts may be rubbing on something

RC Racer
    Make sure the gear mesh between the pinion and spur is set correctly. If its too tight it can create some sort of high pitch sound.

RC Champion
    What he said ^^

RC Enthusiast
    Also possible the pinion could be warn, edges sharp. My brother borrowed my slash 2wd for a few weeks and when it came back he told me it was making some wierd noise, go figure the mesh wasn't perfect and it somehow ate the pinion instead of the spur... Probably not it but just a thought.

FYI it was also running a robinson.
    Slash 4x4/Slash 2wd
    RPM EVERYTHING!

RC Racer
    Sounds like a gear pitch problem. Mesh might look and feel right when rotated slowly. Get it up to speed and it will howl like crazy. Make sure the pitch of the pinion and spur are identical.
    Ima cwboy a steel hrse I ride.Wanted dead or alive

RC poster
    Thanks to all the responses. I haven't had time to double check everything again, been out plowing snow for the last the day. A different story here in the Northern VA. The pinion is brand new, right out of the package. The spur only has about 3-4 packs on it. I've got RPM arms arriving to today and I will give another shot when I put those on.

Another question to double check. When meshing the gears. The paper should come out like an accordion and run through with out binding or tearing right? I am some what **** and check it at lest twice before covering back up again.
    Slash 4x4

RC Racer
    You should be able to pull the paper out without it tearing.
    Ima cwboy a steel hrse I ride.Wanted dead or alive

RC Competitor
    i have the same exact problem! and have no clue what it is. im thinkin about just runnin it till somethin gives or breaks. ive torn mine apart at least 5 times now, and nothing, also i have rpm arms on.

RC poster
    Mesh is good, Gear pitches are both 32. Did testing on the stand and it sounds normal. When you set it down the sound comes back. I will do another tear down. Something has to not be setting right when the weight is on it.
    Slash 4x4

RC Enthusiast
    Sounds like your center diff bearing. Mine did the same thing, only made noise when it was on the ground. Bearing and cone on the center diff where shredded.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by zerolatency79 View Post
    Also possible the pinion could be warn, edges sharp. My brother borrowed my slash 2wd for a few weeks and when it came back he told me it was making some wierd noise, go figure the mesh wasn't perfect and it somehow ate the pinion instead of the spur... Probably not it but just a thought.

FYI it was also running a robinson.
    I had the same issue, tore my slash completely apart and found nothing, then I checked the pinion gear and saw sharp edges on it so I replaced it and eliminated the noise. FYI it was a Robinson pinion also, I would have thought the plastic spur would have gotten chewed up before the metal pinion, guess I was wrong!

RC poster
    I give up. Everything checks out. have tried every combo of removing cvd's and testing, removing the rear diff and testing, removing the the drive shaft and testing, installed another new pinion, switched back and forth between the slipper and center diff, changed spur gears on both. Same thing every time. Sounds fine on the stand, put it on the ground and sound comes back. Even tried calling traxxas with no help at all from them. The sound is definitely coming from the pinion and spur though as far as I can tell.
    Slash 4x4

RC Competitor
    Have you tried a different motor? could be a bearing in the motor or something else inside the motor
    4x4 Ultimate
    "Hold my beverage and watch this!"

RC Enthusiast
    A rock in the driveline?

RC poster
    Well finally took the motor apart last night, bearings were fine, but there was what looked like a stone inside the motor which is impossible. I think that is some of the copper coil that some how fused itself together and broke free in return messing up the motor. Just came across another thread where the guy had the same issue. Time to call Traxxas and get a warranty replacement as the truck is just a month old.
    Thanks for all the help.
    So if out of nowhere you here an obnoxious sound check the motor.
    Slash 4x4