RC poster

Battery Options for KB car

I would like some advice on battery options for my KB car. No Lipos please.

What is the largest battery I can run without harming the car? I would like longer running times than the standard battery it came with.

I have seen some posts that say running two batteries is not that good an idea.

Thanks for your help

RC Qualifier
    runnin two batteris in SERIES can sometime be a bit harsh on the stockmotor/esc, BUT, two batteries in PARALLEL is just fine, and doubles yer run time.

RC Competitor
    I think the largest nimh batteries I have seen that will fit are 1600mah. If you are looking for longer run times you can run the batteries parallel but I believe that in the manual it says something about only running one battery at a time because thats the way the car was designed for drifting purposes.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    Those DTX packs ar nice. I had one for my RC18T in the very beginning and it gave excellent performance, very long run times and stayed quite cool. Id stay away from the venom strictly based on their reputation. Of course the promatch stuff is always top notch. Oh and look at that... the maxamps stuff is almost double the price of everything else... big surprise.
    Last edited by pavmentsurfer; 01-30-2011 at 04:47 PM.

yeah noticed that too i would have went with dtx packs if they had a combo deal, venom packs are doing ok so far
    Living life.

RC poster
    Thanks for all of your help. You guys are why I am now into rc cars!!!

RC Qualifier
    Fwiw, I'm seeing nearly half the run time from the Duratrax 1600mah versus a well-worn Traxxas 1200mah... pretty disappointed in the DTX to be honest.

I'm an R/C noob, so I don't know whether this is due to some combination of A) the battery just being new, or B) I'm using the insanely-slow Traxxas 200mah trickle charger to feed it, or C) that Traxxas cellpack is awesome.

Are the Maxamps cells worth the price? (I overpaid locally for my DTX so the price differential isn't that huge)
    Last edited by prototyp; 01-30-2011 at 09:42 PM.

its best to peak charge the dtx or more less any battery. there new also so that can do it too needs to be used about 4-5 cycles to reach full power capable. i recommend getting a peak charger like the dtx 200 or 210 would be good only for nimh. the dtx batteries are cheap at the link i provided. i would say for me the maxamps are over priced for what you could get for 4 batteries from other places and last just as long.
    Living life.

RC Qualifier
    Great info, thank you... I paid $25 for the DTX, pretty much the only thing I've purchased for this rig without doing any homework. Oh well... At Tower's price I'd be a little less picky. Anyway, a proper charger is next. I have no plans to go LiPo, so will check out the DTX box.

Quote Originally Posted by prototyp View Post
    Great info, thank you... I paid $25 for the DTX, pretty much the only thing I've purchased for this rig without doing any homework. Oh well... At Tower's price I'd be a little less picky. Anyway, a proper charger is next. I have no plans to go LiPo, so will check out the DTX box.
    check out tower's scratch-n-dent department for great deals on the dtx chargers. any of them will work of the onyx type. and have fun
    Living life.