RC Competitor

Jang's Review on URC

Anyone been watching the videos posted by Jang over at URC? Comments on the performance?

IMO Jang's reviews are becoming very biased and he shows great favoritism toward the cheap and cloned market in his reviews and on his forum. The video I just watched of the KB Rally was so slanted to make the car look bad it was of little real value to me. Seriously how can you test a car set up for tarmac use with slick tires in a dirt and gravel field and an off road track that he admitted was in poor condition and then blame the performance on the car?
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Champion
    the car is assembled out of the box "RTR", but he bash's on it like it should be set to run on dirt, it's not it is set to run on road with the stock tire's. Anybody know's that a vehicle set up for a spacific surface area will not performe well on another. You could tune the car to be run on dirt, or you could tune it to run on tarmac. The track he was running was in really bad shape, really bad. I'm thinking that this car could be really good with the right setup for any condition. I want to see there become a race serie's for these in my area, might have to get one.
    *Proud Husband of United state's Air Force wife.*

RC Racer
    How does that review even make sense? He is testing an on road car in dirt and gravel??? Now I have never heard of this person before but if he is a respected R/C personality, shouldn't he know better?
    Ima cwboy a steel hrse I ride.Wanted dead or alive

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Does anyone have a link to the review?

I just watched his "Summary Review" of the KB Rally car, he claims it is unbiased and honest. I am biting my tongue on this one. The review in my opinion is so slanted to make the car look bad it hurts. He does mention some good things about it but focuses on the negatives he sees and puts the car in situations so out of what the car was designed for it is ridiculous. Such as running it on a 1/8th scale dirt track in terrible condition and then complaining about the way it handles the jumps. There is no denying that The Jang is a very well experienced guy in the hobby and has done some great builds and has a lot of knowledge but I think the success of his forum and the URC Network has corrupted his clear thinking and it shows not only in his reviews but on his forum. It seems he is more interested in his fame than the hobby now days.
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadx2mj View Post
    I just watched his "Summary Review" of the KB Rally car, he claims it is unbiased and honest. I am biting my tongue on this one. The review in my opinion is so slanted to make the car look bad it hurts. He does mention some good things about it but focuses on the negatives he sees and puts the car in situations so out of what the car was designed for it is ridiculous. Such as running it on a 1/8th scale dirt track in terrible condition and then complaining about the way it handles the jumps. There is no denying that The Jang is a very well experienced guy in the hobby and has done some great builds and has a lot of knowledge but I think the success of his forum and the URC Network has corrupted his clear thinking and it shows not only in his reviews but on his forum. It seems he is more interested in his fame than the hobby now days.
    Truer words have never been spoken... Nicely put sir.
    Parts are cheap...glory lasts forever.

RC Champion
    +2 dadx2jm
    *Proud Husband of United state's Air Force wife.*

RC Competitor
    I don't own a Rally VXL, but I have to say I don't disagree with the Jang either. All of his reviews have always been honest and unbiased. He did mention a lot of good things about the Rally VXL, such as its fun factor, durability, good looks, etc. But he was also honest about its inability to "drift", which I would have to agree with, seeing as I haven't found a single YouTube video yet of a Rally drifting well in stock form.

The reason why the Jang was running the Rally on dirt and gravel is because that's what a lot of RCers expect from their "rally" car - to be able to run on dirt and gravel. Yes, it's an on-road car, but how many people have taken their off-road trucks on-road? Just because an RC isn't built for something doesn't mean people aren't going to do it.

If you check out his other reviews of the Summit 1/16th and the Stampede 4x4, both non-racing off-road monster trucks, he takes them on the track and assesses their performance there, so it would only be fair if he took an on-road car and assessed its performance off-road, albeit on dirt and gravel, or a 1/8th track.

And yes, it's true that the Jang is slanted towards "cheap and cheerful". If you check out the products that he reviews, he always goes for the lowest dollar amount for the highest gain - I think a good term for this is called "value".

RC Champion
    DRIFT i can drift it in stock form. im off to watch his video
    slash revo vxl x4 rally x2 ped 2wd slash vxl rus

I would like to see The Jang take one of the "Drift" cars or Sedans he compared the Rally to and pronounced them so much better on a lap or two around that dirt track or in the field he ran the Rally in ans give an honest review of how they did in those terrains. I guess you can say he was honest but to expect a 1/16th scale car that is set up to run on tarmac with slick on it to handle a 1/8th scale dirt track in bad condition at all is ridiculous to me. Even when he ran it on a paved track he admitted the track had not been maintained because it was the off season and it was covered in dust and dirt because the racing had moved indoors to the carpet track, why didn't he run the Rally there on the carpet track? Have you noticed how the reviews that come out all glowing are products from HobbyPartz and that they sponsor his forum and have their own sub forum on URC?
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Champion
    the big problem with the rally is. it is sold as a KB driving style car. so some wont be happy with it because it wont go really well on road but others will complain it don't go off road really well. and many people on this forum still buy it thinking it is a pure off road rally. but it is not sold as one.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadx2mj View Post
    I would like to see The Jang take one of the "Drift" cars or Sedans he compared the Rally to and pronounced them so much better on a lap or two around that dirt track or in the field he ran the Rally in ans give an honest review of how they did in those terrains. I guess you can say he was honest but to expect a 1/16th scale car that is set up to run on tarmac with slick on it to handle a 1/8th scale dirt track in bad condition at all is ridiculous to me. Even when he ran it on a paved track he admitted the track had not been maintained because it was the off season and it was covered in dust and dirt because the racing had moved indoors to the carpet track, why didn't he run the Rally there on the carpet track? Have you noticed how the reviews that come out all glowing are products from HobbyPartz and that they sponsor his forum and have their own sub forum on URC?
    If the Jang had taken one of those drift cars on a dirt track, it would have performed just as badly as the Rally had. Neither of them are made for offroad work. The whole point of the comparison though was to show how the Rally drifted in comparison to other touring/rally cars.

Also, the track was in "bad condition", but it was in perfect condition for the type of driving that the Jang wanted to demonstrate. When that particular track is kept in good condition, it's extremely sticky, which would be bad for drifting, but good for onroad racing.

And yes, his forum is sponsored by Hobby Partz, so why shouldn't it have its own section? Maybe you've forgotten that the Jang also gave glowing reviews to Traxxas products like the Summit 1/16th and the Stampede 4x4. The Jang is also a long time Traxxas fan, as everybody knows I'm sure, since he's raced Rustlers, Stampedes, Slashes, E-Maxxes, etc. He's not out to bash Traxxas. He's just stating his unbiased opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by turok View Post
    the big problem with the rally is. it is sold as a KB driving style car. so some wont be happy with it because it wont go really well on road but others will complain it don't go off road really well. and many people on this forum still buy it thinking it is a pure off road rally. but it is not sold as one.
    I couldn't agree with you more. The Traxxas "Rally Gymkhana" car is a confusing name for this RC. A rally car is supposed to be versatile on multiple terrains - the Rally is only good onroad. A gymkhana car is supposed to be able to do really cool spins and continuous drifts - the Rally's got the spinning part down, but it's just okay at drifting - other cars for less money can do better.
    Last edited by Geodude85; 02-03-2011 at 06:07 PM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakey View Post
    Does anyone have a link to the review?
    I found the review and it was not worth watching?

Geodude85 I dont want to turn this into an argument but what is the point of doing a review if you are going to test the car in conditions or on terrain that it was not meant for or that you know is going to make the car look bad? How meaningful would a review of a rock crawler be if I tested it on a paved road course and compared it to Touring cars? I am not debating The Jangs past and where he came from he has been a big Traxxas fan but in my opinion his focus started changing a little over a year almost two years ago. This is when he bought some new camera gear and started putting out massive amounts of videos. It is also when the cheap Chinese products started taking center stage on the URC Network. I used to spend a great deal of time on URC and enjoyed The Jang's work very much but it has changed a lot from what it used to be IMO.
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Competitor

The Jang tests every vehicle on all sorts of terrain. Every vehicle that he's tested, he tests it onroad, on the track, and on dirt/gravel. You can bet that if he was reviewing a rock crawler, he would comment on how it does onroad. If you watch his video with an unbiased view, you'd realize most of his criticism of the Rally is because it can't drift. And just because the Rally is going to look bad offroad doesn't mean he shouldn't show it. If you're only out to show what's good about an RC, then what's the point of writing a review on it? You'll never know what it's weaknesses are.

I'd have to disagree with you on where the Jang is heading with his videos. I think what he's doing is expanding the RC scene and reaching out to newer hobbyists, which is always a good thing. And newer hobbyists are looking for cheap ways to get into the hobby, which so happens to be the "cheap Chinese products" that the Jang has reviewed a few times.

RC Champion
    Dadx2mj i think the problem Jangs had with his review was he couldn't figure out what the rally is meant to be used for. now when i got mine i was going to lock the rear diff as drifting works better that way. but straight from the box i am happy with the drift. but i think he was being to picky.

The Jang tests every vehicle on all sorts of terrain. Every vehicle that he's tested, he tests it onroad, on the track, and on dirt/gravel.
    Simply not true. I just watched 2 of his videos on Tamiya road cars and they were only run on nicely groomed indoor tracks. I also watched videos from The Jang on the Stampede 4x4 and mini Summit and they were strictly off road. All those videos kept the cars where they were meant to be run.

I wont debate this any more I stand by my initial thoughts on the review he gave the KB Rally.
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Competitor
    Some good insights here! Both directions.

RC Competitor
    I love my Rally but I'm not sure we all watched the same video. He drives 3 different surfaces and points out the car's defects. He also points out the positives. One of the main reasons I bought the car was because it could slide it was waterproof and it was on road. As he points our in the video it is as super fun car and my experience has shown that I am in agree ment with his video.I don't have any other on road experience but in his video he shows he can drive grip and drift.makes me wonder if I should try other on road alternatives. But none of them out there are waterproof like traxxas is. And I've broken aW LOT of parts so I'm glad I've got traxxas customer support and parts availability.

Don't get me wrong. I love my rally. It's awesome. I'm still not bored of it and I've flown with it 2x now because I like it so much. But out fidelity doesn't handle like the other on road cars shown in his old video clip. Never having previous on road experience I can't say how the ready compares. But like he said in the video someone like me would love it (and I do). Throw in the water resistant abilities and I find I can't live without it

RC Enthusiast
    The Jang did test the Stampede 4x4 on an onroad coarse.

Last edited by r.c.dealer; 02-03-2011 at 08:44 PM.

RC Competitor
    I love my Rally but I'm not sure we all watched the same video. He drives 3 different surfaces and points out the car's defects. He also points out the positives.The main reasons I bought the car was because it could slide it was waterproof and it was on road. As he points out in the video it is a super fun car and my experience has shown that I am in agree ment with his video.I don't have any other on road experience but in his video he shows he can drive grip and drift.makes me wonder if I should try other on road alternatives.

But no alternatives out there are waterproof like traxxas is. And I've broken aW LOT of parts so I'm glad I've got traxxas customer support and parts availability.

Don't get me wrong. I love my rally. It's awesome. I'm still not bored of it and I've flown with it 2x now because I like it so much. I got one shortly after they came available in october.But it doesn't handle like the other on road cars shown in his old video clip. Never having previous on road experience I can't say how the rally compares. But like he said in the video someone like me would love it (and I do). Throw in the water resistant abilities and I find I can't live without it

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    I think it comes down to personal opinion. He has his his, I have mine, you have yours.
    I dont agree with everything he said, but also dont see an "attack" on the car either.

Quote Originally Posted by r.c.dealer View Post
    The Jang did test the Stampede 4x4 on an onroad coUrse.
    That's not a "test." That's just a guy messing around on track with a 4x4 MT. BIG difference.
    Alt-248 on the number pad = °

RC Competitor
    bottom line.........If i saw this video before i bought my kb i would have never bought this car..I would have denied my self they joy Ive been having for the last few months....lol Have you guys seen my videos I think what im doing is drifting. throttle is everything You dont really need a d box or gyro to pull off some clean drifts. Im very picky and i consider this car to be perfect for whats its made for...high speed on the ragged edge driving...it all comes down to tire choice with this car.

Another thing. He said the car uses a weird 24 mm wheel and a 26 mm will not fit. So the 4 sets of wheels @ 3mm offset isnt going to work. If i didn't know better ide have a big prob
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 02-03-2011 at 11:51 PM. Reason: merge

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    That's not a "test." That's just a guy messing around on track with a 4x4 MT. BIG difference.
    Part of that video was used in his review of the Stampede 4x4, so yes it was part of his review and test.

He did similar with his review of the KB Gymkhana Fiesta by using his test drive footage on different terrains to give an idea of how it performs.
    Last edited by r.c.dealer; 02-04-2011 at 12:11 AM. Reason: all your base are belong to us!

Quote Originally Posted by r.c.dealer View Post
    Part of that video was used in his review of the Stampede 4x4, so yes it was part of his review and test.
    Yes, a whole 17 seconds of that video was incorporated in the 6:52-long "Traxxas Stampede 4x4 VXL initial review & field test" but only in reference to wheelies.

Again, that's not a "test." That's just a guy messing around on track with a 4x4 MT.

RC Competitor
    Yes, a whole 17 seconds of that video was incorporated in the 6:52-long "Traxxas Stampede 4x4 VXL initial review & field test" but only in reference to wheelies.

Again, that's not a "test." That's just a guy messing around on track with a 4x4 MT.
    You're just arguing semantics now. What would be a "test" then, according to you? I'm sure your definition of a "test" would differ from somebody else's.

In the video that r.c.dealer showed of the Stampede 4x4 running onroad, it lasted 2 minutes 44 seconds. That sure seemed like a "test" to me. The Jang did a lot of driving onroad, offroad, and on the track with the Stampede 4x4 before he gave his overall review on it.

The point is, when he reviews an RC, he drives it on all types of terrain, and often puts it out of its element (i.e. Stampede 4x4 driving on a track, Rally driving offroad) to give the viewers an idea of how it performs. He gave his opinion on how the Rally drives on pavement. He gave his opinion on how it drives offroad. And he gave his opinion on how it drives on a track. He never once attacked the car and said "Oh this is a terrible car and you shouldn't buy it." In fact, he had a lot of good things to say about the Rally.

Slow your roll. Look above. I never once attacked the reviews or the person. But if I understand you correctly, I can drive a lap around my sofa and call it a test? I question the validity of that. BTW, I referred to the POSTED video as not being a test. Did you notice it wasn't called a test or a review? Even in the video I referred to later, stating that "it will wheelie from a stop but not while rolling unless a different battery is used" is not really much of a test, is it? So why such a vehement defense?

Investigate the difference between SEMANTICS and SPECIFICS.

RC Competitor
    Slow your roll. Look above. I never once attacked the reviews or the person. But if I understand you correctly, I can drive a lap around my sofa and call it a test? I question the validity of that. BTW, I referred to the POSTED video as not being a test. Did you notice it wasn't called a test or a review? Even in the video I referred to later, stating that "it will wheelie from a stop but not while rolling unless a different battery is used" is not really much of a test, is it? So why such a vehement defense?

Investigate the difference between SEMANTICS and SPECIFICS.
    No, you didn't understand me correctly. Maybe it's my fault that I didn't explain it to you very well.

The video posted above was part of a test that the Jang did in his overall review of the Stampede 4x4. The previous argument was that the Jang doesn't test RC vehicles on different terrain - only on the terrain that it's meant to drive on. Myself and r.c.dealer have confirmed that the Jang does indeed test and drive RC vehicles on different terrain.

Maybe the video doesn't have the word "test" in the title, but it sure seemed like more than just a lap around a sofa. Wouldn't you agree his video is a better idea of a "test" than the one you gave me?

RC Competitor
    Girls, girls, girls........... who in their right mind really cares what the Jang says?? I don't. Test, Review, on road, off road, semantics and specifics, the Jang's opinion does not sway me one way or the other. My KB will not be hitting the dirt anytime soon, I'll break out the ERBE or the Slash 4x4 for that and the KB will stay on road.
    RUSH ²ıı² -Made in Taiwan, made faster in America

RC Qualifier
    I watched his video on how to remove the white junk off of brand new tires (I've never even heard of white build up but whatever). No offense but he sounded like he was on drugs, he was like AAAAACCCCCCIIIIIIITTTTOOONNNNEEEEE :0 (k I'm done trolling now)

The thing I don't like about his reviews is he doesn't rate the quality of cars good enough, he reviewed the durability of a $150 electric stadium truck by looking at it and judging it. The car help up fine with the brushed motor and terrible Nimh battery pack, but my guess is it falls apart with a BL system in it, he has a fee videos of himself following up on the performance and durability of a few cars but they are just harmless cartwheels and laps around the track. I don't need YouTube to tell me that the KB rally VXL is set up for pavement drifting
    Last edited by Meebert; 02-04-2011 at 06:04 AM. Reason: Fail

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    I think the importance of this review is being elevated past the actual weight of its effects. I would still have bought this car, because of the footage in that review. It looks as fun as Hades. Seeing the car in natural elements would have clearly defined to me what this car is capable of straight out of the box. In the beginning, before I really researched this car, I initially thought it was a dirt car because of the name.
    Now Traxxas found a way to release a new on road car, without having to make a whole new chassis (frickin' genius!). It was never meant to be a competition tc or drifter (WE STILL NEED A PROPER TOURING CAR TRAXXAS!!!!). Its a basher. The only thing I see missing from him is a statement like: "For serious carpet racing or drifting there are better, cheaper options (he's completely right). I would not recommend it for those applications. As a parking lot basher, it is a very fun, fast, and durable, although expensive, road car." If he makes that statement, no one gets upset. But he said all of this in his review, its just not in the final summary. I have watched the review many times now and all I get is that he does not like the car. Again, thats his opinion, and he's entitled to review it on u tube and say he doesn't like it. Running the car on dirt with slicks is a little silly, but he does mention that there is more vid of it running with rally tires as well as others. I do not see an attempt to sabotage sales in favor of a cheap Chinese product. That has nothing to do with this review.
    He does not like the car. So what? To each his own.

RC Competitor
    I have not had a chance to drive my KB yet so I cant agree or disagree with what he is saying but I can honestly say that if I would have watched this video before I bought the car I STILL would have bought it. I am just a basher, I dont do any racing at all so I dont care about how fast it can get around the track. He does say that in all the testing he beat the car pretty good and didnt really break anything to speak of and thats the biggest thing for someone like me. I do not want to be fixing something all the time and with Traxxas products I dont have to worry about that.
    Last edited by mdptraxxas; 02-04-2011 at 10:25 AM.

RC poster
    Welcome to the internet, where everyone is unbiased and always shares your views / perception / interpretations.

That being said, the only part of the review that didn't make too much sense was running the slick tired Fiesta on what looked like, atypical even for an off-road track, an un-groomed racetrack.
    Last edited by Verdoun; 02-04-2011 at 11:25 AM. Reason: typo

RC Qualifier
    Gymkhana (motorsport)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gymkhana_(motorsport)

Since they do not race these cars on dirt it made no sense for him to test it out on dirt. If he would have looked up this type of racing he could have done an acurate review and tested it properly.
    Drive it, Break it, Upgrade it

RC Competitor
    Rally car

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rally_car

"Rallies take place on all surfaces and in all conditions: asphalt (tarmac), gravel, or snow and ice."

Traxxas made a misnomer when they named the Rally... the Rally. Once you get beyond that, the Rally is just an okay onroad car.

It still won't dissuade people from buying one. The Rally is on my to buy list actually. I'm in it for the fun, not the performance.

I do believe everyone has had a chance to express their opinion and the thread is now becoming a pointless argument.

THREAD CLOSED
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power