Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    RC poster
    So I put on my modded front RPM bumper. Which allowed me to move my body forward about an inch. I'll stare at it for awhile, and see how I like it. My initial impression is that I like the bumper, still unsure on the body.

Alright, first run with the Trenchers. Geared 13/54 I hit 41mph. Temps were,
    126 motor,
    117 esc
    59 ambient
    20 minutes driving my yard.
    I was gonna gear way down for 3s, but might just drop to stock, 11/54. I'm starting to have so faith in this esc.

I'm gonna get some more driving on the tires, before I rant or rave them. But initial impression is good.

I have decided I like the body much more forward. Which is not possible with the stock front bumper. The modded RPM one works ok, but I'm gonna be looking at options.
    _
    _
    _ 3 lines are all that's allowed in a sig.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hlVG9EeqbY Sorry about the horrible driving, I'm still getting used to it on 3s, Radared at 54 mph geared 11/54 I wouldn't say pizza cutter, but doughnut comes to mind .
    Temps
    130 motor
    120 esc
    ambient 55

I'm lovin it now. These tires are about perfect for my intentions. Please note the air control at 1:15 The tires play into that alot.
    _
    _

RC Champion
    Showoff !!!!
    Y-Town Competition Crawlers Team Driver

RC Turnbuckle Jr. thedreadedend's Avatar
    Wow! The torque is outrageous! You think the tire mass increased the in air spin or is it just plain motor torque with some help from the tires.
    I'm not a hatchet man! I'm a maggot!

For the bumper mod, Here's another pic.

All I did was take a stock Slash 4x4 bumper, and cut the last section out of it, leaving the cross braces. Then screw it on, as you can see above. I did take my Dremel, and slightly round the plastic, where I cut it off, so the rear section had an indention to set in.

You can see a stock one on the one in the back.

I also wanted to update on the Teknos. I did pop a shaft out today. It was in a wreck, and I guess my rear arms flexed enough to let it drop out. I tried to flex it back in, to no avail. I just had to loosen the rear link to pop it in, and all was well.

You think the tire mass increased the in air spin or is it just plain motor torque with some help from the tires.
    Both. The mass of the tires creates more rotating motion in the truck. But, it takes more torque from the motor to spin them so quick. I trully think this motor makes all the power that is needed in a Pede. If I hadn't already upgraded my driveshafts, I have a feeling I would have had to today.
    Last edited by asheck; 03-01-2011 at 09:18 PM.
    _
    _

Time for some updates. Here is a link to my thread datalogging the 3800 http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...le-3800kv-Pede

I think my conclusion is to stick with very low gearing with the 3800 combo on 3s. 11/54 was pulling 54mph. I haven't speced 13/54 for speed, but the esc was warmer then I wanted, at 147 with a 40 ambient, that's to much. So, IMO the limit of the system, in day to day driving, should be around 50 mph on 3s. I'll be running 10/54, day to day. But overall, by far the best bang for the buck system I have ever seen.

The tires are very good, for me. I've ran them around 7 packs or so, with mixtures of terrains, and quite a bit of roads on 3s. You can just start to see a slight rounding to the thread. For running 50+ mph with them, that's pretty good imo. I have yet to find a traction they didn't perform good in porportion. They even did surprising good in a little sand I found. They are the tire I was looking for.

After some pretty hard bashing, I broke my rear shock tower. I was able to zip-tie it together for now, and have an extra stocker, but am considering either RPM or an aluminum one. I don't mind the flexy of the RPM, but it has been known to let screws go, and I'm not sure I like that for my links. But I also don't want to drill an aluminum one for my body mount, nor do I want it to transfer all the energy to my bulks. So this might just be one of those things that break once in awhile, and I just keep spares. I can buy 2 stockers for the price of 1 RPM, or 5 stockers for the price of aluminum. I don't know.....

Here's a couple pics of the modded front bumpers that I found.

_
    _

RC Qualifier
    I'm looking at a slash bumper and cutting it down like you did for offroad bashing.. It's only going to be a matter of time before I break my wheelie bar. :P nice front bumper there also. You're idea of sticking to lower gearing seems reasonable to me... I mean, 54mph is pretty good speed and the sacrifice of esc temps for a bit more speed over that doesn't seem like the way to go.. but that's just me.. plus I know as soon as summer rolls in we're all going to be more temp conscience.

RC Competitor
    That truck looks great Adam, I bet its fun! I've been following your datalog thread too, i've learned quite a bit from that, interesting stuff.
    fred

Thanks fred, you'll have to see it in action soon. I ain't scared of no MERV
    _
    _

RC Champion
    asheck I saw on the Trencher thread that you broke one of your twin spokes. I got a set of twin spoke in the mail today and they're not all the same offset. One of the wheels has 1/2" more offset than the other three. I ordered 3774, do you know the part # for the deep offset twin spokes? I'm using a wide body on my pede and really could use the extra width. I found it tra 5572 is the wide offset twin spokes.
    Last edited by Jones8352; 03-07-2011 at 04:20 PM.
    Jones
    Having too much fun!

I found it tra 5572
    Yep, that's what I have. I guess I better update here.

So I broke a Twin Spoke. It's a weak design for serious bashing, IMO, once I saw how it broke.

There's only like 3 spokes keeping it even that together.
    _
    _

RC Champion
    I hope that was just a freak thing, I've never broken a wheel and I've had some big tumbles at speed.
    Jones
    Having too much fun!

I can't say for sure, but as much as I wanted matching rims, they scared me enough that my new ones are the Jato All-stars
    _
    _

RC Champion
    Well the drive shafts could of been too stiff instead of asorbing impact. Or maybe the temp made the plastic brittle either way sorry bro.
    Man i need more than 50 characters.

RC Competitor
    ha ha we'll see. We'll have to get together and bash them soon. Im waiting for some parts to come in that should be here this week. I should be the one thats scared of you, in your big 1/10th
    fred

Well how would you like to see this one coming at you

This is actually my buddies, I only run Mashers on mine, but had to get a pic, it's huge.
    _
    _

RC Competitor
    That would definetely run me over, or maybe I could fit under it! ha. I really like those tires on your stampede, they look really good.
    fred

All right, all back together now. Got my new wheels and tires, decided to run them on one side, and the originals on the other side, when they are turning, all you see is chrome. I put my New Era front shock tower on, replaced the rear with a RPM , and added aluminum shock caps. Kept the stock oil in the front, changed the rear to 40w. BTW the zip ties on the shock tower held just fine. I had several bashes on it, and it was still together, something to keep in mind. .
    _
    _

RC Qualifier
    I have 40wt in all 4 corners now in with big bores and the stock springs and it feels pretty nice.. As for zip ties, I am a fan. I have them on my wheelie bar holding it in position (one notch from the highest). Is this the shock tower you are using?

http://www.neweramodels.com/item.cgi?part_id=10618

Yep, that's it. It's a very nice piece. I had a STRC that I broke, under extreme conditions, the New era is very much superior.
    _
    _

What's the chances of someone like me bending that tower. I promised myself to stay away from alloy with this truck but, lol, I'm starting to feel the pull.

As long as it's not surrounded with other aluminum, I'd say slim to none. I was running it on my modded Slash 4x4, that was running E-maxx arms and tires, I broke the STRC in like 5 minutes, and couldn't break the New era.
    _
    _

Well, I have charger and lipo on the way so, I may do some new damage. If the tower fails, I'll give it a shot. Looks real sharp too. Did you have to change body mounting hole or did the lid line up after this addition?

I figured so with the charger and lipo's. I'm sure you'll be happy. Everything matches up perfect. I also like the threading, sometimes aluminum will be a little sloppy, but this seems to hold the screws nicely.

The All-Star side

I was just looking, and realized basically everything from the diff out is upgraded. But I think the Stampede form, remains true.

Here's where the shock tower lived in it's fomer life.

But now, that , using the spare parts from my Pede , are going to become,

Which is a Slash 4x4 I sold.

You know, after looking at these pics, I'm not sure it won't end up with the Black truck body, and a set of Trenchers, HMMMM
    Last edited by asheck; 03-12-2011 at 11:06 AM.
    _
    _

That last pick sure it sharp! You have a good I for looks. Those tires are really nice too. Think I'm gonna make it my next set. Wouldn't hurt to go with a low profile to he'll with heat.

Thanks

Yeah, those smaller tire take alot of load off. I think I need to put them on my Pede again, and pull a couple logs, to find out exactly what difference it does make.

I'll make a prediction, going from the Trenchers to the Zombie's , geared for 35-40 on 2s, you would drop 10-15 amps. But I might be wrong. .....
    _
    _

RC Qualifier
    yeah.. I like alum shock towers... adding alum stuff always does stress the plastics around it but the core things I usually swap for alum are carriers, shock towers, and sometimes steering gear.. I like the looks of those zombies.. I picked up some dirt hawgs sort of reluctantly but wanted another tire option that wasn't trencher and talon... something light but offroad.. anyways.. I know they have a mixed bag of reviews but I'm going to give them a whirl. might pop my 13T pinion on finally also.

I haven't had 30 series Dirt hawgs, but with the 2.2's I was never impressed with them. My Zombie's are showing some wear, but they've also seen 4s with a Novak hv4.5, where they were spinning at 60mph. So I'd say to be expected. I would choose them over a Hawg by a long shot. They really are a good choice for that little smaller then stock, bot not a low profile look.

If you are running 2s, VXL the Hawgs or Zombie's should easily handle 13/52. But as always, check your temp whenever you change gearing
    _
    _

RC Qualifier
    I read they are better for off road than the talons and offer better handling as well... I guess they are pretty firm (less side wall flex?).. They look very low profile on the rims.. Anyways, at the very least another set of wheels and tires for to choose from dep on where I am driving. I'm sticking to 2s until the traxxas CVDs come out then I will venture into 3s.. truck still seems pretty exciting on 2s but I am pretty used to it now.. so I am looking forward to some 3s action later.. and likely ESC and motor fans.

OK, truck update time.

I discovered with the Trenchers that the stock front bumper was tucked enough to work better. I also stole my rear for my Slash, so currently I have a rear Slash stock bumper. It's working out ok, the longer bumper works better for wheelies with the bigger tires, but will take the right body, to make it all flow.

I guess the other update would be the 2400 system.

We'll see what I end up going with long term. But I bet the MMP doesn't come out.
    _
    _

RC poster
    Hi asheck new to the ped 4x4.
    I was just wondering about the tekno cvd are?
    How do they fit and the front hubs are they better than stock. I purchased the full set from stommer hobbies among the other up gradesto it for 3s lipo.

The only problems I have had with the Tekno's are they have popped out twice, which is not a big deal, just undo the turnbuckle and will pop right back in. Then I stripped 2 of the hexes, where the pin goes through them, I have aluminum ones on the way. But I have been running big power, through big tires. The carriers are all big upgrades. They are much beefier and give tighter fitment.

I like the Tekno's enough that I got another set for my Slash.

Update. After much running, and logging, the 3800 MMP combo is what is staying in my Truck. I'm just happiest with it.
    I have been happy with my current bumper setup, Slash rear and Stampede front, I'll be sticking with it for awhile, and see how it does long term.
    _
    _

RC Champion
    Just got my first sct 3800 combo in today. Are these the male connectors I need to solder? http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXSDC2&P=MLI haven't had to solder anything yet so it's a first.
    Thrash It, Bash it, Break it, No Regrets!!!

Yep, those should be them.
    _
    _

RC Champion
    Thanks much appreciated.
    Thrash It, Bash it, Break it, No Regrets!!!

RC Racer
    ruff ruff....lol at the vid. I could hear a couple of dogs in the background.

Should have seen it today, my son had a friend over with a dog, that thing was going nuts.
    _
    _

RC Qualifier
    If you don't mind me asking what is the black body?

Quote Originally Posted by asheck View Post
    I figured so with the charger and lipo's. I'm sure you'll be happy. Everything matches up perfect. I also like the threading, sometimes aluminum will be a little sloppy, but this seems to hold the screws nicely.

The All-Star side

I was just looking, and realized basically everything from the diff out is upgraded. But I think the Stampede form, remains true.

Here's where the shock tower lived in it's fomer life.

But now, that , using the spare parts from my Pede , are going to become,

Which is a Slash 4x4 I sold.

You know, after looking at these pics, I'm not sure it won't end up with the Black truck body, and a set of Trenchers, HMMMM

It's a 3906 E-maxx sized body, Quad cab Chevy IIRC, but don't remember excactly which one. I tried to get it to fit right on my Pede, but just couldn't get things to look right.
    _
    _

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast