RC Racer

Life of the hobby

Not really much of a point to this thread other than telling you guys all the problems i have had with the rc hobby in my first month. I have learned ALOT in the first month because my brother has been into it for years and he tells me everything he knows. So far my steering has got a bit out of alignment, my esc fried, motor bearing is rusted and rough, tires are close to being un-glued, broke rear hub carrier, so when people say this hobby isn't much work they havn't ever had a rc. It is alot of work and when you first start you can expect to have a working rc about half of the time if your lucky. So when things break just think other people have had worse luck

RC Qualifier
    I'm in my 4th month and I am still down more than running. That's when multiple trucks come in handy! $$$$$

When I break something my first reaction is "crap"! About 2 seconds after my reaction is,...."upgrade!!"

RC Racer
    To me and my experience working on or fixing the truck is 50% of the draw for me. There is always something to fix, adjust, or just figget with.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by kdog View Post
    To me and my experience working on or fixing the truck is 50% of the draw for me. There is always something to fix, adjust, or just figget with.
    +1 but do get fed up when the same thing keep breaking (more so on merv) I must say, other than a motor death week 1 (replaced free in 6 days) my slash has been unbreakable. I tend to try to upgrade before things break because in uk there's a long wait for spares.

So far, in order of what I thinks best these are the upgrades I've done to make it last longer:

Stainless bearings
    King Headz motor mount
    Outerwears shroud & proline cut down undertray
    ACF-50
    RPM Shell mounts
    RPM rear bumper
    RPM Nerf bars

That's all - love the slash ;0)

The Time I Enjoy Wasting Is Not Time Wasted
    Time I enjoy wasting is not time wasted

RC Champion
    I have my Slash 4x4 which gets beat more than the Bad News Bears and keeps running. Now our older 2wd pedes are a different story.
    Thrash It, Bash it, Break it, No Regrets!!!

RC Racer
    both my slash and my e maxx are broke more then they run. the both have more money into them keeping them running then they both cost new. rc is a very expensive and time consuming hobby. so far my e maxx is 2 months old and hasn't ran long enough to go through the first set of batteries. broke 3 times in 30min of driving. esc just took a dump today.

RC Champion
    (so when people say this hobby isn't much work they havn't ever had a rc)

when you know what your doing you will have less issues. over the years you will learn many tips & tricks to stop things going wrong in the first place.
    slash revo vxl x4 rally x2 ped 2wd slash vxl rus

RC Competitor
    I am in my first month and things are fun, and I like to tinker with it too, a good cleaning and about 40 dollars per week in stuff. I like it so much i am looking on Craigslist and stuff like that to find good deals to have more to my fleet. its a hobby, my wife runs, she likes it and that is her hobby, she spends about 110 dollars in shoes per month plus clothes, so i don't feel to bad about what i am doing. its fun, when its down, its a fix, plus breaking it means upgradeing it, but i like it running more that being on the bench. I love this hobby, and if you really think about it, its not that much money, upfront sucks cause of the car, radio, chargers and batteries. Knock on wood, I have not had the ESC problems.....................

RC Racer
    Ya well your a lucky one it is an amazing hobby to get into though overall

RC poster
    I'm new to the hobby.. Always loved rc vehicles as a kid and somehow got drawn back into it. I never realized that I have several tracks and events near my area. I think the main reason I got a slash 4x4 is due to its realism side, which isn't the best side to race but nonetheless it's why i got the truck. Anyway, when comparing this to other hobbies esp like the full size camaro I take to the track........ when I can afford to heh, there is NO comparison. I have a ton of fun with the scale rc and a new engine is a far cry less than a new scale one. Maybe there is something good that can come out of the economic downturn.. An increased public view on small scale rc racing. That would be great.

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    The traxxas 2wd vehicles require less maintenance.

RC Racer
    Come on now, wrenching is part of the hobby. If I couldn't wrench on it, I don't think I would bother with it. Might as well buy those cheap Radio Shack brand r/c and run it till it breaks. It's cheaper than wrenching on real cars. Believe me, I used to to rip into my real vehicle all the time.

For me, I love the wrenching. Helps soothe me after I break it doing something silly.
    Ima cwboy a steel hrse I ride.Wanted dead or alive

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
    The traxxas 2wd vehicles require less maintenance.
    But 4wd is so much better!
    Thrash It, Bash it, Break it, No Regrets!!!

RC Competitor
    Wow i feel lucky havnt had real issues yet and havnt broken anything!i drive hard but dont abuse my vehicles after every run i pull it apart and clean it thats why traxxas made the chasis modular so mantenance would be a breeze. On another note of 1:1 cars i autocross and drift and have spent close to 15 grand within the last year and a half in my tenth anniversary turbo rx-7 so this hobby is pretty good on the wallet. Look at it this way people spend money on things everyday which adds up, you have to spend it on something might as well be this.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I enjoy the hobby everyday more and more, stuff breaks, but I have fun fixing it, buying upgrades trying to improve it more. I had own several cars all traxxas and couldn't be more happier.

RC Qualifier
    I always wonder when guys talk about how much their trucks are broken whether they are having bad luck or simply don't know the limits of their truck. My first time at our local track I made the mistake of trying to follow the modified trucks over a triple. The result was broken stub shafts, drive shafts, and rear bearing carriers when I slapped the top of the 3rd jump at an angle. I very quickly learned to respect the limits of the truck, and now I rarely break anything.
    -- > Republic Racing < --

RC Champion
    #1 It is a whole lot cheaper than when I crash my R/C helicopters!!
    #2 It is a lot cheaper than when I crash my R/C planes.
    #3 I can let my friends drive my Traxxas vehicles .... but not fly my helis and planes.

Never crashed the Hughes 500 C ..... Thankfully!!!

As others have said ..... working on them is part of the fun.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by OSWHollowpoint View Post
    Come on now, wrenching is part of the hobby. If I couldn't wrench on it, I don't think I would bother with it. Might as well buy those cheap Radio Shack brand r/c and run it till it breaks. It's cheaper than wrenching on real cars. Believe me, I used to to rip into my real vehicle all the time.
    +1 except for me it's cheaper than my motorcycles. I have more money wrenching on my RC race cars than when I'm wrenching on my bikes. I guess it's one of those guy things for sure.
    JESUS says: "Fix it B4 it Breaks!"

RC Racer
    build it, beat it, break it, fix it, repeat

or take up golf
    4x4 slash
    08 F350 6.4 diesel

RC Racer
    One good thing is whenever u break your car and get it running again its like Christmas everytime

RC Qualifier
    Hi.I used to MTB,I had a front wheel collapse ,2 weeks after spending 500 on the bike .I knocked me out,and cost 85 to replace(didn't want it happening again) I broke my collar bone,several fingers,a toe ,,,,? lol,knackered my back(that won't go away) dislocated my shoulder,the list goes on.Rc's easier than being layed up for a couple of months after one crash.