RC Enthusiast

My Body Solution..

I got sick of waiting for bodies for this Rally. I bought a Slash VXL on sale and converted to the Rally. The only thing I lack at this point is the body. So I did some searching and found that ABC Hobbies has mini bodies that have the wheelbase as close to stock as I could find, 208mm. The width of the body is where it lacks the most, at 160mm versus stock at 185mm. I figure I'll try to make some fender flares to take up the roughly 12mm on each side. Celica 2000 Liftback Link

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    It would be a shame to loose the cool scale looks of that body with fender flares though. What about using the slash body... there have been some pics of a slash body on a chassis setup like the rally with 26mm touring car wheels and it looks really cool. Like a lowered pickup.

RC Enthusiast
    I tried that it looked ok, but not cool enough. This body is alot closer as far as the wheelbase is concerned. I'm not really sure how I'm going to deal with the width problem. When I get the body I size everything up and see what I can do. I wanted to try the Lancia body by HPI, but it's out of stock. So until Traxxas gets the lead out. I'll take pics as soon as I get it.

RC Enthusiast
    I got my Celica today. I gotta say I'm blown away at how well it fits. Wheelbase wise everything lines up perfectly. The only drawback is the wheels and tires stick out 2-3mm. Not enough for me to worry about. I love that I have a body that works and has awesome scale detail. The body isn't cheap at $35.00, although it comes with a bunch of stickers and lightbuckets for LED's. Like I said before the wheelbase is 208mm and the width is 160mm. They have tons more bodies and some are a little wider at 163mm. I ordered mine on Tuesday and got it Friday of the same week, for $5 shipping USPS. I'm going to smooth up the wheel openings, and fit it to the Rally, and get some pics posted.

RC Competitor
    Where did you find the dimensions of the ABC bodies?

-melon

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    Impatiently waiting is what were doing. Hurry man... I wanna see... sounds like the ones that are 163mm may be a better fit. Im gonna have a look at whats there.

RC Enthusiast
    Sorry for the delay. I'm not the greatest at all the ins and outs of computer's. I'm posting a link to photobucket here :http://s332.photobucket.com/albums/m...ch/ABC%20Body/

RC Enthusiast
    Angrymelon, The body specs can be found at ABC's main page: http://www.abchobby.com/
    As far as the bodies width goes the Celica 2000 LB that I got has an inward slop towards the bottom of the body. This might not be the best body for some people, however I just liked the style. And yes 163mm would be a better choice for all those people who don't like the "skateboard look". I'm just pleased the wheelbase is spot on, the wheels sticking out a bit doesn't bother me.

RC Enthusiast
    Also thought I would add, I'm not sure if the wheels I have on the Rally in those pictures are 0mm or 3mm offset. They are some Tamiya rally rims with some homemade ABS drift tires. They are 26mm wide. If I could bring those wheels in 2-3mm they would look perfect with that body. I just hope this gives some of you guy's an option instead of pretty much having to pay an arm and a leg, or doing without.(like me) Until now that is!! Yeah, I finally get to play with my Rally.(after I paint it)
    Last edited by r32silviatech; 02-12-2011 at 06:59 AM.

RC Racer
    it is def a cool body, please post pics to see final outcome.
    thx

RC Enthusiast
    I'm in the process of moving out of my slum lords house. I found a nicer place with a two car garage. I've had all my RC stuff out in a small tool shed, with a couple of extension cords for electricity. It blows. There is nothing worse for a gearhead than not having a decent place to wrench. As soon as I get everything setup, the Celica body will be my first project. I can't wait between my RC's, my 240sx, and my motorcycle's I won't be sitting around to much. Gotta have my man cave!!!!

RC Racer
    once a long time ago (pre rally era) i tried an abc mini countryman body. the width was out by a tiny bit, and the wheelbase was oh so slightly too long, but it worked. the body isn't durable in the slightest, though. after a bit of light abuse it was trashed. and that was that.

RC Racer
    this one would fit close enough

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by r32silviatech View Post
    Angrymelon, The body specs can be found at ABC's main page: http://www.abchobby.com/
    As far as the bodies width goes the Celica 2000 LB that I got has an inward slop towards the bottom of the body. This might not be the best body for some people, however I just liked the style. And yes 163mm would be a better choice for all those people who don't like the "skateboard look". I'm just pleased the wheelbase is spot on, the wheels sticking out a bit doesn't bother me.
    Ahh, thanks! I was going to their US site which is garbage:P Looks good, I'm gonna have to check out the wider bodies and try to find some narrow 0 offset rims.

-melon

RC Competitor
    Oh holy crap!

http://www.abchobby.com/abcframe/inf...ges/swift.html

Mah pants are tight!

-melon

RC Racer

RC Racer
    that site has the best bodies man! but they still not cheap. but very cool bodies, more unique.

RC Enthusiast
    Yeah there bodies are pretty pricey. Although the level of detail is awesome, and the bodies they have are pretty unique. Most come with light buckets. I will be buying another body for the Rally from them. The USA site had my body to me in 4 days pretty quick IMO.
    Last edited by r32silviatech; 02-18-2011 at 10:59 AM.

RC Racer
    So will the 1/10M bodies fit our 1/16th rallys?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by BLKMRKT View Post
    So will the 1/10M bodies fit our 1/16th rallys?
    They are a little narrow but you can make them work
    Rally SV2/4600 and fully loaded

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by r32silviatech View Post
    Yeah there bodies are pretty pricey. Although the level of detail is awesome, and the bodies they have are pretty unique. Most come with light buckets. I will be buying another body for the Rally from them. The USA site had my body to me in 4 days pretty quick IMO.
    so lets see the pics with the rally and the body!!!

RC Competitor
    I did some measuring, and with the most narrow wheels I had, which I believe are 0 offset, I was only able to get the rally as narrow as 170mm. This was also with some fairly aggressive camber. Looks like the only way to get close to the 163mm would be to remove material from the a-arms and the threaded end of the pillow balls? Not even sure that's even feasible.

-melon

RC Enthusiast
    I was thinking along those lines myself Angrymelon. I got most of my stuff moved to my new place. I'll be moving all my RC stuff Sunday. As soon as I get everything setup I'll start experimenting with the Rally and ABC body to try to narrow it down some. I'm not so sure about the 1/10 bodies. Best thing to do is check ABC's main site for the wheelbase spec.

RC Qualifier
    I've been looking for an on-road body for my daughters 1/16 slash that I lowered for her to run--- its a cheap way for her to do on-road--- less carniage..... I think I'll give this body a shot.... any thoughts about running it on the mini-slash chassis?
    Boise, Idaho
    www.adventureiq.com

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by pakratt View Post
    I've been looking for an on-road body for my daughters 1/16 slash that I lowered for her to run--- its a cheap way for her to do on-road--- less carniage..... I think I'll give this body a shot.... any thoughts about running it on the mini-slash chassis?
    They are the same chassis, just different body posts
    Rally SV2/4600 and fully loaded

RC Enthusiast
    I've looked at cutting down the arms 5mm on each side, then the links would be to long. So rather than go through all the trouble I will leave it as is. I got the body painted, just need to click off a few pics. I ran mine for the 1st time the other day. Man this little things does need some sway bars!!

RC Competitor
    Yeah I originally purchased the adjustable Toe-links just for this purpose. I was lucky enough to find a hobby shop locally that had the HPI Lancia cup racer body. I was able to take measurements of it while I was there but only to find that it was way too narrow in the front. The back would probably work, but that's it.

-melon

RC Enthusiast
    You can also fit a mini cooper body I just found out :

Not my Rally btw. I'm also looking for another body since I don't wanna wreck my KB body immediately =(

RC Enthusiast
    Yeah I figured a Mini Cooper body would fit. I wanted to do something a little out of the ordinary. It looks great though. Aftermarket please come out with some awesome bodies!!!