RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar

Broke an RPM front arm... just thought it was interesting.

Today I took the ERBE out for the first time in a while. Its the first time its been less than -5C. It was 0C today and I was just blasting around in a snowy parking lot, hit a few snow piles and landed on the front wheels. After I dried out the truck I noticed the lower front Aarm is snapped right in half. I was surprised. I know colder temps can make even RPM plastic brittle... but this was a very minor tumble.

Anyway, the previous owner had painted the blue RPM arms black and they were all scratched up and looked like crap anyway. So this is a good excuse to get new ones that are really black.

What I found today is that the 1518 on 6S is just insane and the badlands tires balloon into pizza cutters in less half throttle. I finally figured out the brakes, just had to adjust the brake curve through castle link and adjust the brakes to -25% on my KO radio. I just cant believe how fast and torquey this truck is. The one mod im going to do before the spring is the steering mod. It doesnt turn nearly far enough each direction. So thats one thing I need to do. Other than that im happy with how it handles and the suspension is super plush but doesnt bottom at all. I like how it squats the rear under acceleration. I think im going to refill the diffs as I notice alot more diff action that I would like. Would 50 000 be right? I have 10, 30 and 50 000 diff fluids.
    Last edited by pavmentsurfer; 02-06-2011 at 05:07 PM.

RC Champion
    yeah, the colder it is the more brittle plastic gets. If it's below 40 degrees I take it a little easier with my trucks than when it's warmer.

RC Champion
    Weird.. Ive had mine out in -30c temps, colder with the wind.. Are you sure you didnt hit something hard? Ive brokein my fair share of plastic stuff outside, like wheels, or wings and mounts

Ninja edit:

I saw you said they were painted.. thats probably why they broke.

RC Qualifier
    That is a little surprising that one broke but 0c is pretty cold... BTW the Slayden steering mods are very helpfull, definately give you a good ammount of steering. For your rear diff- if you just plan to bash then 50000 should be a good weight, if your going to race (depending on the track of course) then you may want a little lighter weight on the rear and either 30k or 50k up front.
    That's Just How I Roll o==o>

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I've read about the slayden mod... but my truck looks like it has this done from the factory?

Was there an update to the steering?

RC Qualifier
    The Slayden steering mod requires some trimming/modding to a few areas in the steering and pillow balls, it would not have been done from the factory as far as I know. Unless your saying your truck was previously owned and it looks like the previous owner did the mod already.

So sadly it looks like those Slayden mods have been removed from the website, maybe someone else can get a working link up but I had no luck....

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I bought new, but the steering... block? Not sure what to call it, part 5343x came notched for further steering travel.
    I haven't made any mods to the chasis/suspension.

With the high steering option parts installed, it seems to turn pretty sharp.

RC Qualifier
    Ya the stock extra steering throw part ususally gives enough for most people. Usually its racers who run on tight tracks that need the steering mods to get that little extra throw on those tight corners. Most of the time when I bash I tune down my throw a tad due to a little too much throw at somewhat higher speeds on high traction surfaces. However when I want that extra its nice to have, especially on the indoor track I run sometimes which is set up mainly for SC, 1/10 stadium trucks and buggies.

I also run 5 caster clips up front which helps as well, that one is cheap and easy to do.
    Last edited by FreakyT333; 02-07-2011 at 12:56 PM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    What is this stock part that allows for more steering. My truck was used but unmodded when I got it. If its possible to just install one part and get more steering id definetely do it. I only bash with this truck, no racing or track running at all. I just want to be able to counter steer harder on slipper corners.

Thanks for all the tips guys. Great info. Ill be re-filling my diffs with 50wt and looking at the steering parts to see what I can do.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    5343x is the extra steering part. You put it in, and move the servo arms out on the horn.

The 5 castor clip thing is interesting. I've got the usual 4, and the extra castor really gets the truck turning faster than stock.

Quote Originally Posted by FreakyT333 View Post
    The Slayden steering mod requires some trimming/modding to a few areas in the steering and pillow balls, it would not have been done from the factory as far as I know. Unless your saying your truck was previously owned and it looks like the previous owner did the mod already.

So sadly it looks like those Slayden mods have been removed from the website, maybe someone else can get a working link up but I had no luck....
    It's not as intuitively found as before, and it has been reformatted, but it's now HERE.

Quote Originally Posted by pavmentsurfer View Post
    What is this stock part that allows for more steering. My truck was used but unmodded when I got it. If its possible to just install one part and get more steering id definitely do it. I only bash with this truck, no racing or track running at all. I just want to be able to counter steer harder on slipper corners.
    One of the first changes I made to my ERBE was to ditch the normal steering stop and install the maximum throw one. Though this improved turning radius greatly, I wanted more, so I did the surgery on the normal-stop one and have run that modded one ever since. This way if it ever breaks, I'll have one to my liking as a backup.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 02-07-2011 at 02:02 PM.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Champion
    The GH stop features the full throw, and wont break like the plastic one does on occasion

RC Qualifier
    I actually broke one of my RPM lower front arms 2 days ago. It surprised me as well; however, I also shattered the metal pin holding the arm on (not to mention the bulkhead being in 7 pieces, lol). It was only 50 F too... I just hit something very fast.
    xl-5 Stampede
    ERBE Tekin 6s
    ERBE MMM 4/6s