RC Enthusiast

Noob Rear Diff Question???

so after a bash session in the snow I tore the truck down to wipe down and clean everything.. After wiping down everything I noticed something that seemed funny to me.. The front tires when off the truck will rotate the opposite way of the other one when one is turned so if i turn the front left tire counter clockwise the right tire will will spin the opposite direction.. well I was checking the rear and if I rotate a tire the opposite side stays put, no movement at all.. Is this normal or should I tear down the diffs and try and fix them?? after reading some of the diff threads on here im kinda hesitant of tearing into them.. also If I do need to tear into the diffs is there a thread or some good reading with pictures that I can use to walk me through it?? What kind of oil or grease should I put back into them? sorry for the noob questions, but thanks in advance.. I love this truck and really like working on it..

RC Enthusiast
    anyone??im sitting here with the truck torn down and dont wanna tear into the diff if i dont have too lol... im scared lol..

RC Competitor
    Well I know that the front is fine mine does that, ill have to check the rear when I can get to my truck I cant remember what it does when spinning the wheels by hand for the rear.
    4x4 Ultimate
    "Hold my beverage and watch this!"

RC Competitor
    Check the bearings on the 'stuck' side. The diff is supposed to turn the opposite wheel, as long as the driveline is restricted. Usually there will be more resistance in the motor than the opposite wheel. if not, check for binding.

RC Racer
    I just happened to change my rear dif oil last night. I put in 15k oil to replace teh grease that comes stocks. I turned my left rear wheel and hte other side turns the oppisite direction. Same thing on the front and i think i have 20-30k up there. Cant remeber which means i need to refill it now lol.

Getting into the diffs is easy just time consuming to get everything apart. If you go to the Slash 4x4 section in the traxxas customer support area they have all the line drawings.

HAve one when i first got the truck i would just take things apart and see how the work.

RC Racer
    http://traxxas.com/support/models/electric/6808slash4x4

the exploded views are what you need

RC Champion
    did you rotate the tire's when the front was off the truck? If so the one wheel will only spin, the diff will spin the opposite wheel when it is attatched to the main drive line. I noticed this when I was tearing my truck down. I just grabbed the front drive spline off the diff and spun the wheel's, were the opposite wheel spun. It is not a problem. Hope this help's, I tryed to describe it well but might of fallen short.
    *Proud Husband of United state's Air Force wife.*

RC Enthusiast
    well im pulling it apart right now... i will let you all know what i find..

RC Enthusiast
    well i tore it all down and no missing teeth or anything like that.. I packed grease on the outside part, Im gonna get 10k diff fluid for the rear and try that.. It just doesnt sound right or feel right.. I made sure everything was adjusted to specs via the manual.. after my rebuild I with diff fluid I will let you all know what I find out..

RC Qualifier
    Be sure to rebuild your rear diff bearings that are on the output drives as well, this is most likely where the binding was.
    JESUS says: "Fix it B4 it Breaks!"

RC Enthusiast
    I just ordered the bearing kit from boca... I put new stocker traxxas ones on it for now so the bearings would be new.. According to ups the new diff oil should be here today so I'm gonna rebuild the duffs with 10k in the rear and 30k in the front.. Then the new boca bearings are going on Monday when they get here!!

RC Champion
    Are you sure with the oil weights in the front (30k) and rear (10K)? I think, but not sure that the lighter should be in the front at least .