Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Burned Up View Post
    looking good as usual---cant wait to see this finished--may have to order some materials online----and just to give it a try---
    It's worth a try! I suggest mocking it up in poster board or bristol board first to create a template. Makes it easier to cut the pieces out of styrene later on.

Quote Originally Posted by wirgej38 View Post
    looks sweet! be sure to keep us updated! btw...awesome pics what type of camera do you use?
    Thanks! I use my Panasonic Lumix GF1 with an adapted Nikon 60mm Micro-AF 2.8D.
    Stock Summit

RC Competitor
    Hi again, my friends!

I am just discovering how to work with Styrene and thought of sharing a post on how I have been bonding/glueing the material together while I work on scratch-building the body that I mocked-up for my Traxxas Summit.

I start out by lining up the pieces that needs to be bonded:

I am using Plastruct Bondene to joint the two pieces. I use the included brush applicator in the bottle and lightly spread some of the solvent along the joints:

I then press the pieces together for 10-15 seconds to form the bond:

The solvent is drawn into the joint by capillary action, melting and softening the two materials being joined together, effectively bonding them. Here is an image of the other side were you can see some of the melted styrene oozing out of the joint as I press down on it:

After 10-15 seconds, the materials are bonded. Recommended curing time for a joint is around 30 minutes. I proceed by cutting the pieces for the other parts that I need and work on that.

Hope this will help anybody who wants to try their hand at scratch building. More experienced builders are free to chime in with their own techniques.
    Stock Summit

RC Competitor
    SUCCESS! I finally finished building my new Summit body from styrene!

Here's are some image of the completed body mounted on the Summit:

I opted to put fenders only at the front so that it will look more like a flat-fendered Willy's jeep, albeit a disproportionate one

Only thing left now is to do some detailing and a good coat of paint! That will have to wait while I move on to doing the roll-cage first.

Talk to you guys soon!
    Stock Summit

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    That's looking great so far, I'm glad the styrene worked well for you, seemed like the logical material and is simple enough to work with by the looks of it.
    Keeping the Mods busy is my specialty...

RC Qualifier
    yea it does look like it aint that hard---but what to make???? what are you going to make roll cage from???---i gotta redo mine im going to go with brake line and a few stock cage pieces---but that will be awhile---low on funds wife needs surgery done first---
    ???Why so serious???
    JOKER TV

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Burned Up View Post
    what are you going to make roll cage from???-
    Here are some more update: I was able to build the roll cage out of square styrene strips:

I mentioned earlier that I opted for some 6.3 mm x 6.3 mm styrene strips instead of rounded styrene tubes. I felt that because of my inexperience, joining two rounded tubes together would be much harder. In fact, it was very hard for me to cut the styrene strips and had to resort with some straight joints because I couldn't get a good angle cut with my current tools. I really wished I had a dremmel or something, but for now this will do

Here's the roll cage fitted to the body:

I will make it a two piece set, very much like how the Summit's Lexan body and Exo-cage is. I still have to figure out how to screw on the roll cage into the styrene body.

Here's another image of the roll cage and styrene body:

I also would like to report that the roll cage survived an accidental drop! I was very surprised how the joints held up, considering that I was not doing a perfect job gluing the joints together (I was not using alcohol or whatever to clean the joints before applying the glue and some of my end cuts were not very straight). I made a number of drop test after that and was happy with the durability of the built. Of course, it remains to be seen how it would survive a full roll over once it is mounted on the Summit itself.

I still need to do a bit more detailing before I call this build complete and proceed with painting. I will update with pix as soon as I can. Thanks again for following along!
    Stock Summit

RC Competitor
    Hi everyone! Here are some more updates:

I finished making the mounting plates for the roll cage. The cage will be a separate piece from the body; it will be removable and I will just attach it with screws from inside the body. Very much like the original Exo-Cage, I built some plates that directly mount to the mounting posts. I also added some details such as a grill and a space for the headlights to the front of the body:

Here is the complete, unpainted body mounted on the Summit:

I will just make the cockpit as a separate piece. Right now, this one is ready for some paint! But before that, I think I will try running this thing with the new body on to see how it will hold up.

Thanks for viewing and following along. Let me know what you guys think!
    Stock Summit

RC Enthusiast
    The building and experimentation of this hobby is the best part for some of us. The driving around afterwards is a bonus. I really admire your patience. And following up with the steps it shows how much you put into it. Nice Work, looks great, cant wait to see how it holds up and looks after some paint!
    mmmm...DIRT!

RC Racer
    Fantastic! you've given me some inspiration. I've always wanted to make a concept model, like the following:

http://defense-update.com/features/2...t_vehicle.html

http://www.army-guide.com/eng/article/article_1436.html
    Don't believe everything you think!

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by AlejoHeller View Post
    The building and experimentation of this hobby is the best part for some of us. The driving around afterwards is a bonus. I really admire your patience. And following up with the steps it shows how much you put into it. Nice Work, looks great, cant wait to see how it holds up and looks after some paint!
    Thanks! I am giving it a few runs before I paint it, purposely making it to roll over to see how the joints will hold up. That way I will find the vulnerable spots and reinforce them before painting.

Quote Originally Posted by Francis de Gruchy View Post
    Fantastic! you've given me some inspiration. I've always wanted to make a concept model, like the following:

http://defense-update.com/features/2...t_vehicle.html

http://www.army-guide.com/eng/article/article_1436.html
    Thanks! With regards to your concept models, you can definitely scratch-build those from styrene! The shape lends itself to easy building.
    Stock Summit

RC Competitor
    Hi everyone! Here are some update on my custom body for my Traxxas Summit.

I ran the truck with the body on this morning to see how well it will hold up:

It was still snowing here in Airdrie so it was also a perfect time to see how the body can keep the snow off the chassis. It did it quite well:

The body and the roll cage held up very well, although there were a number of pieces that started to come apart. Not a biggie, it was in places were I was expecting the joints will be most vulnerable. I will give the body a once-over to add more reinforcements and will proceed with paint.

Oh, and here is a short video of the run I made in the snow:

I was not able to do some jumps because the snow was much thicker at our backyard were my snow ramps were.

Will update soon as I finish adding reinforcements to the body and start painting it. Thanks for following along!
    Stock Summit

RC Competitor
    I really have to add some vents. The motor and esc were running hotter than normal. Figures, being that the body almost fully encloses the chassis.
    Stock Summit

RC Competitor
    Hi, guys! Sorry for the lack of updates. I wanted to start painting the body but the weather is still cold and unfriendly around here.

Which is fine because it gave me an excuse to work on the body some more and add details while I wait for better weather.

I started out by adding some side vents to the rear quarters of the body to allow some of the heat from the ESC and motor to escape:

The ESC and motor runs much cooler than before with the vents added.

I also added some details to the side pod, sort of an homage to my original inspiration, the Mini Moke:

I was in a roll so I decided to make a hint of a dashboard and a rear seat back to the cockpit:

I decided to go with a single seater because I found the body too narrow to add a passenger seat for the scale that I was going for.

The completed body, just waiting for paint:

Is this scale enough? I posed a 1/6 scale action figure with the truck to see:

Oh, that's my 1/6 Scale Hot Toys U.S. Army Ranger Action Figure. I have another, a more standard body, which I plan to put in as a driver.

Hoping for all this cold weather to finally go away so I can start painting! Thanks for following along!
    Stock Summit

RC Qualifier
    nice work man!!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    That does look rather awesome- I like the fact the truck is now 1/6 scale owing to the original 1:1 scale version being so small, relatively speaking.
    Keeping the Mods busy is my specialty...

RC Champion
    Your A/V and photo skills are impressive.
    / 16

RC Qualifier
    I second that.

RC Qualifier
    I just want to bump this thread up, this is by far one of the most impressive shell builds I have seen. Well done man!
    That's Just How I Roll o==o>

RC Qualifier
    yea it is im hate to see you get rid of it....if i had the cash it would go into my collection....guess ill try and get rid of my 360 and games....if not i hope it goes to a good home and not somebody that would thrash it to pieces...
    ???Why so serious???
    JOKER TV

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12