RC Qualifier

Steering Servo position-pot problem?

First question: Is this standard output gear alignment for the 2080 servo?

Seems to me that the position pot should 'zero' out square but as you can see mine zeros the output gear at an angle. As a result I have to run nearly full-trim one way or the other depending on how I install the horn (the output gear is askew by half-a-nub-ish on the horn so I can't install it centered).

Put in a new output gear, same deal. Of course changing the installed angle of the output gear also changes the position pot it is attached to (a little slot in the gear keys onto the flattened end of the pot shaft), so the servo just winds its way back to this position. I reckon the position pot is out of whack.

The top cover didn't seem to want to come off completely so I wasn't able to pull apart the wired side of the servo to investigate how the position pot is mounted.

Second question: how is the position-potentiometer mounted inside the servo? Is the pot's mounted angle adjustable? How are the wiring and controller circuits attached in there?

BUT, here's the hack... While reassembling I noticed that tilting the servo in the chassis changed the resting angle of the steering. SO, I made a shim to put between the forward tab of the servo and the chassis, angling the servo nose-down and as a result pulling the steering arm back somewhat. RESULT: controller trim is zeroed and I can trust the car will continue in a straight line predictably…

That'll do for now but I'd prefer to have the servo dialed in properly.

RC Qualifier
    Got a new servo... from the looks of the inside of the original servo's output gear, the horn screw was seriously overtightened (or too long a screw was used) which busted up the inside of the output gear and also shoved the position-pot shaft down enough to not engage with the slot inside the new output gear. Tedious.

RC Qualifier
    And this new one fried... no warning, just running around in the street for a few minutes. Cue #3...