Thread: Checking Temps?

RC Competitor

Checking Temps?

Sorry for the dumm ?????'s here. When checking the temps. I do mostly street driving out front of the house so i am doing mostly speed runs with 40c 3s lipo
    1. How long should you drive it around for?
    2. should you drive it like you stole it?
    3. Where exactly should you take your readings from on the esc and the motor?

Thanks in advance

P.S. 4. what is a good combo for some retarded fast top speeds???

RC Qualifier
    i take my temps from directly on top of the motor can. and on the esc i take it on top of the heat sink thats built in. and point it inside the esc. take multiple angles to get more readings. i try to get what the highest reading i can get to be more accurate!
    Buying Monster Trucks Madness Right Now

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by OffRoadRC86 View Post
    i take my temps from directly on top of the motor can. and on the esc i take it on top of the heat sink thats built in.
    Meaning by looking straight down on the truck right

RC Qualifier
    Not a dumb question. This is good info to get and better than reading another "I tried running 4s lipos with the stock pinion and now nothing works" thread
    Rally SV2/4600 and fully loaded

I take the temps all over the motor and ESC and use the highest reading I get as the actual temp.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Competitor
    How long are you driving them for? How long does it take for the temps to come up?

RC Enthusiast
    I found a couple of temp gauges real cheap.
    Would these be any good or should I look for a better quality? If so, where?
    Last edited by Dadx2mj; 02-15-2011 at 10:41 AM.

Traxxas Employee
    A good rule of thumb is to use your thumb. Touch the motor and if it's to hot to touch you need to give it a break. A Temp gauge is good if you have one. Try to keep motor temps below 150 F. You will notice you can run the car at those speeds longer if you minimize your breaking and accelerating speeds. Slowly squeeze the throttle instead of pegging it full throttle. This will minimize current draw at low speeds which will keep temps down.