RC Enthusiast

Wierd "clicking" noise

Yesterday my son and I did some basic maintained; we cleaned and checked all wheel bearings, as well as installed our King Headz motor mounts and rear diff. Now there's this "clicking" sound coming from the front end The only thing we touched (in the front) were the wheels. Any ideas? Thanks

RC Enthusiast

Lightbulb Same here

yeah, I had the same problem, right out of the box.
    I took it to the hobbyshop where I bought it (very good service!) he also thought it was weird.
    So he pulled it apart, we concluded it came from the front, but we couldn't find anything.
    we both thought it was wierd, but he told me not to worry too much.
    Now, I don't question his capabilities in repairing rc cars, but still, a wierd noise is a wierd noise.
    my friend has the same car, bought on the same day, but it runs much quieter than mine.
    Dunno, hope anyone knows more?
    WiiiiiiBANG!doingdoingBAM! Dude, that was awesome!

RC Champion
    How about a video or sound clip to help.

Does it happen all the time ?
    With the wheels drooping, how about with weight on the wheels?
    What about with out the battery and just pushing it?

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallguy905 View Post
    How about a video or sound clip to help.

Does it happen all the time ?
    With the wheels drooping, how about with weight on the wheels?
    What about with out the battery and just pushing it?
    It happens without the battery, when we push it in either direction. Maybe this is normal and we just didn't notice it? I can try a video in a little while. I've never done it before, should be fun

RC Racer
    I kinda had this same problem off and on and I just drove it. I would take it aprt and put it back together and it would still make the noise. I would keep driving it and after 10 min. it would quietly go away. so I guess you "could" let it ride.

RC Champion
    If it is the noise that I am thinking of mine does it occasionally as well. Check that the mesh isn't too tight, otherwise just drive it.

RC Enthusiast
    Yeh, I ran it again today, and it was awesome
    It still sounds diffrent from my friend's, but I guess it's not broken, it just has it's charms

RC Champion
    yes loud operation is normal as is different sounds in every truck.

RC Racer
    sometimes mine does the same thing and I found it to be the drive shaft.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by slash4x4jockey View Post
    sometimes mine does the same thing and I found it to be the drive shaft.
    Speaking of that I did have a clicking/clacking noise at one point, it was a slightly bent centre drive shaft.

RC Qualifier
    bump,...I have same problem. it's annoying to the point where I almost don't like to run it. VERY noisy.

Anyone have a fix???????

RC Champion
    Replace centre driveshaft

RC Qualifier
    tallguy,
    even if it seems straight? Or only if it has a wobble? thanks! Trx shaft or other brand?

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by mrhammer2u View Post
    tallguy,
    even if it seems straight? Or only if it has a wobble? thanks! Trx shaft or other brand?
    Mine didn't appear bent at all, but after inspection there was a small spot the was worn it was hard to se since is was so scratched up.
    $10, stock shaft = noise gone.

RC Enthusiast
    hmm... worth to check into...

RC poster
    I wondered the same thing when i got my slash and every now and again you see these clicking noise threads its the way it sounds i think its because the driveshaft has about a quarter inch of play sliding front to back.The noise is ok and is normal sometimes it will ocasionally go away because the driveshaft will move and find its sweet spot sort of speak.

RC Enthusiast
    Mine does/did the same thing. I took it apart and went through everything and could not find anything. I inspected every tooth on every gear and nothing. My only guess that the backlash on the front diff is not perfect (indicated by awkward wear marks on teeth), but there is no way to adjust it, so I just drive it.

No problems yet...

RC Enthusiast
    You guys are not alone. I just bought a 4x4 Brushless Slash yesterday. I noticed a weird clicking sound on mine as well. My buddy noticed it too. I would rather not have or hear the sounds. If it's a bent drive shaft then I would think this is not a good thing especially running on lip with all the added punch and torque wont this potentially lead to other things breaking?

RC Qualifier
    Turbo,
    I'm wondering about that front to back play. I'm thinking it's the reason I keep chewing up spurs. My motor and pinion are super tight, but every few runs the pinion works its way loose and strips the spur.

Does everyones slipper/diff and driveshaft assembly have this 1/8" of play? Is this the source of clicking?

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by mrhammer2u View Post
    Turbo,
    I'm wondering about that front to back play. I'm thinking it's the reason I keep chewing up spurs. My motor and pinion are super tight, but every few runs the pinion works its way loose and strips the spur.

Does everyones slipper/diff and driveshaft assembly have this 1/8" of play? Is this the source of clicking?
    I'm wondering about this also. Granted I'm used to hearing my Rustler VXL for over 3 years. Upon running my Slash 4x4 yesterday for the first time, the first thing I noticed was how loud the truck was. It seems to be coming directly from the driveline. I searched Google last night and it seems to be 'normal' but searches within the Traxxas forum aren't consistent with other sites. Just wondering if the truck is overall louder than the Rustler...

RC Enthusiast
    I cut a long piece of foam about 2 inches longer than the driveshaft and stuffed it in the driveshaft. After putting the driveshaft on and running it my truck was much quieter. This holds back the driveshafts thrust and I've heard of people doing a similar thing with the male counterpart of the driveshaft by putting orings on them. The more degrees of freedom the parts have, the more noise they might make. A quiet truck is a happy truck.

RC Enthusiast
    The reason there is so much play is because as the chassis flexes the rigid parts need room to move around without binding.

This truck seems to have a lot of quirky sounds. I recently installed Tekno CVD's, and their metal pins make a loud "tinking" sound as it rolls, drowning out the drive shaft noise. I kind-of like it....

RC poster
    Ugh I nosedived mine of a little bump tonight, the clicking started right after that, only the 3rd time I run the truck. But I notices it clicks when my battery is low, so it might be that, 'cuz the clicking doesn't happen when I spin the wheels with the engine off

I noticed in mine sometimes a small pebble or something will get caught where the spur gear is and create a little ticking noise, which is the pebble or sand or whatever getting caught in the teeth of the gear... sometimes if a smack the bottom of the car it goes away or sometimes I need to take apart the rear end, clean it and then put it back together and that always helps... but yea these cars make extremely loud noises, especially going off jumps... if my real car sounded like one of these Id be scared
    Monster Baja Sla2h VXL
    Rustler VXL