RC Qualifier

My MERV to RALLY conversion

Starting this thread to provide pics of my beaten merv I had and decided to refresh it with a rally face lift.

I started with this.

Tore it down, ordered some parts, and did some dying

Now I'm starting to rebuild it. I will post pics as I go. Along with any problems/solutions I come yo with along the way.

Sent from my HTC Droid using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    Made it this far tonight. Had some issues with the center diff, didst spin real smooth, took it apart, found no lube, and found out it was screwed too tightly from traxxas. Filled it up with some 30k and it seems to spin nice now.

As you can see, I'm goin with a mainly blacked out rally, with some red RPM hubs to set it off a little.

RC Qualifier
    Posting mostly to follow... Had my Rally down to a bare chassis a week or so ago for some refurbishing. That's going to be a fun job with a bunch of new parts in baggies.

If you're looking at Traxxas' exploded views to reference the Rally-specific parts, note they got the screw sizes wrong in a couple places. Corrected specs here.

What body are you going to run?

And keep your long shocks to rebuild later. The Rally is pretty happy offroad with a shock/spring swap.

RC Qualifier
    Got it up to "roller" status. I went with 30k lube in all 3 diff, front center and rear, and decided to use 80w shock oil all the way around.

RC Qualifier
    Jet BLACK. Nice touch.
    Brushless RiPs Nitro Drips.

RC Qualifier
    All done, for now. Waiting for a CLEAR rally body to be released so j can paint it my way. And a lil extra cash so I cab upgrade to a 2.4ghz radio system.

I swapped out the bushings in the steering and rockers for bearings, made things move very smoothly. The car is all traxxas except the RPM hubs, and integy heat sink/fan combo.

Last edited by tha-mule; 02-22-2011 at 06:49 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    Hey man, nice, it looks good. Especially like the dyes. How do people go about that anyway?

RC Qualifier
    Thx. I did my best for a clean look. Use Rit dye to dye the plastic. You lightly boil the parts. You'll find it in the laundry soap isle. And there is a couple good videos on YouTube on how to do it properly.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    That mini turn out great, a shorter antenna might help and you won´t have to cut the body.

RC Qualifier
    Yeah, I'm just runnin an old tq system, so to get any range I need the lengthy antenna for now till I get a traxxas link system. Figured by the time they finally release bodies I will have the extra dough for a new 2.4ghz tx/rx

RC Qualifier
    Did you go with stock rally gearing?
    Rally SV2/4600 and fully loaded

RC Qualifier
    I got 28/45 to try for now, its a little lower then stock I believe, I could be wrong tho. Won't be getting much use till all the snow we just got melts, then I will be able to check temps better.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by tha-mule View Post
    I got 28/45 to try for now, its a little lower then stock I believe, I could be wrong tho. Won't be getting much use till all the snow we just got melts, then I will be able to check temps better.

If I remember right that is stock for the rally but I'd have to double check to be sure.
    Rally SV2/4600 and fully loaded

RC Qualifier
    Finally got enough snow off the driveway to take this thing out for a test run, it's awesome!! Just ordered a used rally body, beause I wanna really test this bad boy out, but donnt want to break anything thats not protected by the lid. Also ordered a set of 11.1v venom lipo's. and another parellel connector, so I have one for the rally and for the merv. Anxious to see how the venom lipo's do. I have a set of 2s boost lipo's to. next step will be a 2.4ghz radio system. and once I fry the esc, I will be shopping for an aftermarket one. does any one have any ideas besides the ever popular castle options?

RC Qualifier
    Mod update! Decided I didn't really think the fan was needed on the motor as much as the esc. So I took the fan off the integy heat sink. Installed a regular heat sink on the motor. And was able to get the fan to fit rather nice on the stock vxl3m. It only has one screw holding, but its solid. And I flipped the fan from the direction it was on the heat sink, so its blowing air on the esc. And I sure can feel the air being moved over it.

RC Qualifier
    How well does that Yeah Racing heat sink fit on the motor? Need any goo or is it snug enough to fit by itself? Seem effective?

RC Qualifier
    I've ran it on my MERV for quite some time, seems to give about a 10 degree cooler running temp. I did use the heat sink paste under it. it fits plenty tight with out it. But it does help transfer heat, with out it it can cause hot spots. So it's a good idea to get a tube of it, last a long time and its relatively cheap.

RC Qualifier
    Man I hate waiting! Lol. I now have a 2.4ghz traxxas link, and the used rally body, and the 2 venom 3s lipos packs on the way. Along with a parallel connector. It's gonna be a long wait. Haha

Last edited by tha-mule; 02-25-2011 at 10:46 PM.

RC Qualifier
    You gonna miss your merv you think?

RC Qualifier
    Nope, I still have one :-) with a few mods. The one I converted was a stock one I got for dad, but he didn't use it. And I didn't need 2 mervs. Here's my merv, and his big brother :-)

RC Qualifier
    Venom 11.1v 3s 1300mah LiPo batteries arrived today, and WOW!!!n Talk about a PERFECT fit! The little patch of concrete I have the snow cleared off of was def not enough room, but drifting was a blast!!! I still think I need more run time with my 2s boost LiPo's untill I get the hang of this thing. So I think the 3s will be driven in my MERV untill I'm ready for this kind of power in my rally!

RC Qualifier
    Now today, the arrival of a new 2.4ghz link system, installed, and I've switched 3 models out from am to 2.4 now, and everytime I cant believe how it smooths things out. Handles like a new R/C should :-)

RC Qualifier
    FINALLY got the used body I ordered. I wont be goin thru any canada sellers any more. I'm too impatient lol.

I also ordered a set of sway bars, and hpi te37 wheels and belted x-pattern tires, cant wait to get them!

RC Competitor
    Nice...watch out with the x-pats. I just got a set and the cartwheel factor is significant.

RC Qualifier
    Careful tuning of the suspension camber and keeping a low ride-height takes care of much of the rolling tendency.
    The prototype project.

RC Qualifier
    I've got close on the toe and camber settings. But just ordered a rpm camber gauge to get that more precise. I use a set of calipers to measure the toe. And am in the process of making a set of custom adjustable toe links.
    So things should be dialed in this week when everything arrives.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    Got my sway bar kit today.

But haven't got to test it do to ANOTHER snow storm lol

It seems like it will do what its suppose to do. Drove it around the house till the wife got mad. Lol. New wheels and belted x pattern tires are on there way. Along with a rpm camber gauge so I can dial that in better.

Last edited by tha-mule; 03-23-2011 at 04:54 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Did you have to swap axles? I'm doing a Slash to Merv conversion- but was told by LHS that the axles are the same
    Boise, Idaho
    www.adventureiq.com

RC Qualifier
    They are quite a bit shorter on the rally then the merv. So yes, you well need new axles. Mine actually came from a slash.

RC Qualifier
    Here is my cheap solution to adjustable toe links. My rear was just not getting where it needed to be no matter how much I played with the pillow ball adjustment. I also got my RPM camber gauge in today and WOW, this thing is well worth the $10. Made adjusting the camber a walk in the part. I highly suggest anyone who is serious about these cars to get one.

RC Qualifier
    Got my belted x patterns in today and they are awesome! Traction is amazing! I now have this car pretty dialed in and am lovin it. Still a little crazy on 3s but that's expected. But drives straight as an arrow after replacing the servo saver and putting new gears in the servo.

RC Qualifier
    Rigged my garmin gps to the car and was able to hit 41.3 mph on 3s with 28/45 gearing. The gps weighed the car down and made it quite top heavy so I know the car is hittin higher speeds with out the gps.

Rigged my garmin gps to the car and was able to hit 41.3 mph on 3s with 28/45 gearing. The gps weighed the car down and made it quite top heavy so I know the car is hittin higher speeds with out the gps.

The weight of a GPS should not effect top speed. It may effect the distance you need to actually reach top speed or in other words slow your rate of acceleration but given enough room the eventual top speed should be the same with or without the weight of the GPS.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Qualifier
    So yer tellin me I could strap a ten pound weight to the car and still hit forty? I see yer theory, but I must say I don't believe it

RC Champion
    So yer tellin me I could strap a ten pound weight to the car and still hit forty? I see yer theory, but I must say I don't believe it

That will take a long time to accelerate to top speed.