RC Qualifier

1/10 4wd Buggy??

So, forgive me if this has been posted, I can't log in on my PC so I'm on my phone & searching takes too long.

Has anyone done or thought about doing a 4wd 1/10 buggy from a 'Pede 4x4? It seems to be about the right wheelbase but its a bit tall. Anyone think it could work well?

-Frankie
    Rustler VXL Stockness Monster

I think you can get the look like many have done with the Slash but if you are talking about competing with a true 1/8th scale Buggy on a track that might be a tall order. Not saying it cant be done but that you would have your work cut out for you. The high COG of the Pede would be the biggest obstacle to over come.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Qualifier
    This might be close to what you want
    http://www.ultimatetraxxas.com/projects/shape-shifter/

RC Qualifier
    Wow, I just looked at the URC projects a few days ago & didn't see that lol

RC Qualifier
    I like this idea. If I was to ever get into 4wd buggy I would definitely consider this route b/c I already have a few Traxxas vehicles. But mainly the durability of Traxxas is the most enticing; typical 4wd buggies seem a bit fragile for my driving ability.

As a 1/10 (not 1/8) it does look to have the correct wheelbase, but how do you get the width down? The stampede seems to be about 3/4" too wide: b44 width=9.8 vs. Stamped width=10.5.

I looked into this some more. I couldn't find any negative offset wheels that would work to bring the width into the 250mm ROAR max for 4wd buggy. I'm not exactly positive this is the limit that's what I could figure out from the info posted. Maybe someone can confirm this.

But I wonder if it is possible to simply re-drill the knuckle hinge pin hole on the suspension arms 10mm back to bring the width in. Not having one of these or a 4x4 slash, it's hard for me to know for sure. Can someone provide any info on this? Would the knuckle hit the arm cross brace, etc? Of course shortening the axle shafts would have to happen too but that's easy.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 02-24-2011 at 09:42 PM. Reason: merge

RC Champion
    is that the rule for 1/8th buggies or 1/10th buggies?
    Man i need more than 50 characters.

RC Qualifier
    1/10th, the title of this thread.

RC Champion
    i apologize you mentioned 1/8th in your last post.

RC Qualifier
    I was confused too how Dadx2mj got on the 1/8th track so I thought I'd be explicit about it. Let's keep it to 1/10th, I really think this project has potential. It would sure make getting into 1/10 4wd buggy much less expensive and enjoyable (less time fixing and more time driving). If we can figure it out it may become my second racing class to SC 4wd.

RC Qualifier
    By taking a look at these suspension arms:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXZUY0&P=X

It would seem the hole for the knuckle could be re-drilled 10mm in-board. But there might be interference w/ the cross brace, can someone confirm this? If there is interference can we just grind away some material or does the whole cross brace need to be removed.

I wish I had one of these in-hand to look at.
    Last edited by mulepic; 02-25-2011 at 01:19 PM.

RC Qualifier
    You could use Bandit rear arms and slider shafts front and rear to get the width down

RC Qualifier
    The bandit arms do seem to have some promise. They just might be too short:

Bandit arm:
    Length: 76mm (3")

Stampede arm:
    Length: 100mm (3.94")

RC Champion
    these should work, nitro stampede rear arms. rpm ones to boot.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXFVG0&P=7

RC Qualifier
    Nice Find, that looks to be the perfect length! Do we have any confidence they'll bolt right up to the bulkhead? Although that's the least of our worries. I thought about waiting to build this but now that we found these I might have to start this one.

RC Champion
    its the same bulkhead width as the 2x4 electric stampede, and the hub is as well.

RC Qualifier
    The 4x4 stampede uses 52mm hinge pins at the bulkhead and 30mm pins at the carrier. The 2x4 stampede uses 46mm at the bulkhead and 28 at the carrier.

But the width of the 4x4 arm is 46mm which is the same as the 2x4 arm at the bulk head. I think it's close enough. Either you'll need to trim a bulkhead a little or add a spacer.

RC Champion
    yea i mean its so close, and only 20$ for the arms to find out.

RC Qualifier
    It's strange I can't find the traxxas parts, 3655, b/c I'm sure it would be even cheaper. Of course I don't even have a 4x4 stampede either. But I think this is realy promising. It would make a great 4wd buggy platform for having fun w/ at the track. And if you wanted to be competitive come up w/ a lcg chassis.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan93civic View Post
    This might be close to what you want
    http://www.ultimatetraxxas.com/projects/shape-shifter/
    If I read that correctly, all if not most of the "conversion" was cosmetic....and to get results like that is pretty darn amazing, ...and having a good driver helps too
    ERBE
    Stampede 4x4
    #5309 Revo 3.3

RC Champion
    I don't believe that meets spec for the 4x4 1/10th buggy class they have width and wheel base regulations amongst others.

Quote Originally Posted by mulepic View Post
    It's strange I can't find the traxxas parts, 3655, b/c I'm sure it would be even cheaper. Of course I don't even have a 4x4 stampede either. But I think this is realy promising. It would make a great 4wd buggy platform for having fun w/ at the track. And if you wanted to be competitive come up w/ a lcg chassis.
    Your going to want the rpm arms any ways as they are stronger.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 02-26-2011 at 07:51 PM. Reason: merge

RC Qualifier
    The rear nitro Rustler/nitro Pede/Slash 2wd arms are all the same length and will bolt up on the rear of any 2wd electric Slash/Rustler/Pede/Bandit or front/rear of the Pede 4x4 /Slash 4x4. I have Slash 4x4 rear arms on my Rustler and I know the nitro arms are a direct swap to the electric Rustler. So, I will say for a fact the nitro Pede/nitro Rustler/2wd Slash rear arms will fit the Pede 4x4 and will reduce the width. The only problem I see is that those arms add something like 3 of toe-in. The front wont matter cuz you can align it but the rear may cause issues.

RC Qualifier
    Busselton, Western Australia... but where in Busselton... that's what we do not know...
    One question from me... what exactly is the benfit of a buggy?
    Can you break a Rusty?
    Umm...No...No, you can't.

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankie Figs View Post
    The rear nitro Rustler/nitro Pede/Slash 2wd arms are all the same length and will bolt up on the rear of any 2wd electric Slash/Rustler/Pede/Bandit or front/rear of the Pede 4x4 /Slash 4x4. I have Slash 4x4 rear arms on my Rustler and I know the nitro arms are a direct swap to the electric Rustler. So, I will say for a fact the nitro Pede/nitro Rustler/2wd Slash rear arms will fit the Pede 4x4 and will reduce the width. The only problem I see is that those arms add something like 3 of toe-in. The front wont matter cuz you can align it but the rear may cause issues.
    The stock 4x4 arms have toe in (not sure how much as my truck is at my rc garage 1 mile away), I am sure with the 3 toe in angles avail with the plastic and alum rear carrier options on the 4x4 (1,2.5,4), at least a couple of rear toe options may be doable.
    Last edited by rag6; 02-27-2011 at 07:13 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Rustin'RedRusty View Post
    One question from me... what exactly is the benfit of a buggy?
    The benefit is to be able to have a 4wd buggy w/ Traxxas durability. If you race just one class you'll be waiting a long time between events. Many recommend racing two different classes. I plan on racing 4x4 SC and always thought racing a second 4x4 class would be the best crossover to race. But 4x4 buggy is known to be very expensive b/c of its fragility and extra expense of additional moving parts. A 4x4 bug-pede (a buggy-ized stampede) won't be the most competitive but you'll be able to race another class with a reasonable budget.

Frankie Figs, thanks a ton for the information. I think this will be a great project.

RC Qualifier
    The stock 4x4 arms dont have toe-in, the truck has toe-in. I have them on my Rustler and I have no toe-in from the arms.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankie Figs View Post
    The stock 4x4 arms dont have toe-in, the truck has toe-in. I have them on my Rustler and I have no toe-in from the arms.
    Let me see if I understand this. The stampede rear bulkhead has toe-in built into it. The rear Rustler/Slash 2wd arms have toe-in built into them. Therefore using these arms on the 4x4 stampede rear bulkhead will have result in like 4-6 degrees toe-in?