RC Enthusiast

Rally Ken Block with LED installed

Here is my new KB with led more upgrades coming
    Traxxas Rally KB, Traxxas Rustler, TT TS4n

RC Qualifier
    Check your link on the pic..... not seeing anything.

Also any info on the LED's that you used?
    Rally SV2/4600 and fully loaded

RC Competitor
    Im not seeing anything either but I am willing to bet its something like THIS.

Quote Originally Posted by So Cold View Post
    Check your link on the pic..... not seeing anything.

Also any info on the LED's that you used?

RC Enthusiast
    Last edited by Beaverimport; 02-25-2011 at 04:07 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Nice. Do those mount behind the lexan body? Up a photo of what those look like inside, please... Tugay will have another customer.

Right now I strap my Knog bike-lights to the chassis for night running... So many of the (overpriced) eBay kits have those uggs bezels that stick out outside the bodywork.

Quote Originally Posted by prototyp View Post
    Nice. Do those mount behind the lexan body? Up a photo of what those look like inside, please... Tugay will have another customer.

Right now I strap my Knog bike-lights to the chassis for night running... So many of the (overpriced) eBay kits have those uggs bezels that stick out outside the bodywork.
    THIS!!! cuz im really looking into doing this but not sure how it all fits together.... do you think you could put together a DIY (Do It Yourself) diagram so we know how it works and looks?

Thanks!

RC Enthusiast
    Yes i can do that iīm realy bizzy now but this weekend iīll fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaverimport View Post
    Yes i can do that iīm realy bizzy now but this weekend iīll fix it.
    ok sweet thanks man! its going to be a huge help!!!!

RC Qualifier

I thought it through as I typed this, it's probably fairly easy to make a headlight bucket by folding and gluing some sheet plastic. Make a lens to cover the hole you'd cut in the body... glue or tape the bucket against that and done. I'm going to make a paper template (for the Rally) to check it out.

I thought it through as I typed this, it's probably fairly easy to make a headlight bucket by folding and gluing some sheet plastic. Make a lens to cover the hole you'd cut in the body... glue or tape the bucket against that and done. I'm going to make a paper template (for the Rally) to check it out.
    yeah see this is what was kinda thinking about cuz id like the lights to be flush an look even more realistic let me know how this work out as im going to try my own method as well and maybe we both can work together an get some hella nice looking!

BTW if anyone else has any shots of their other cars an how you have the lights set up pics would be a huge help on giving me some ideas!
    Last edited by cooleocool; 03-02-2011 at 07:56 PM. Reason: merge

RC Enthusiast
    I have done this a couple of times on my old TC3's(Key word old). I always liked the look of it. I thought about doing it to my KB but haven't pulled the trigger yet....
    The couple I did, I ran the wires directly into the RX. I liked making it directly into the RX because it came on with the car.(Did not really notice a battery life difference since LED's don't pull too much juice.) I cut the wire from an old battery pack to connect it to the RX and then soldiered on plug, I think it was micro motor wire plug, that way I could disconnect it if I took the body off. Made it really nice. I know when I was studying up how to do it, some people were using like a large battery that reminded me of a watch battery but 1" in diameter. A few guys claimed they lasted 6 months before they killed it. I guess I just liked plugging it in to the RX because I never had to worry about buying a new battery.

Now this made me have to go to radio shack tomorrow to pick up all the parts to do it to my KB.... haha

PS I think this is my official first post on here. Not enough traxxas talk on RCtech....

lol ok well i think ill check out radio shack tm as well see wha i can come up with

RC Enthusiast
    Basically you want resistors in the range of 200-400ohm. One for each LED. Thin wire. The mcd rating on the LED is the biggest thing, the higher the number the brighter. So for rear reds I run 200-500mcd LED's and the front whites or blues I want them bright so I try to get over 1000mcd, however the downside to that is the LED's are more expensive but give it a solid look.
    Also if you are just trying to hook it up to a 9v battery they have holders and connectors for them there.
    The only other thing is the LED holders, they sell cheap little black ones which will make the bulbs less visable but the chrome expensive holders will make the lights project way better like an actual headlight. I recommend those if you want them to look like actual headlights. you do not need them for the rears.

where do i get the chrome headlights?

RC Enthusiast
    I did not use chrome headlights because they must sit on a flat surface and it is hard to find in front of the KB but i think itīs posible and i didnīt think it would look good because the chrome headlights sticks out aprox 5mm.

RC Enthusiast
    They are actually chrome holders for LED's you can buy them for like $2-3 a peice at Radio Shack.

Beaverimport - Ya I used them on a HPI Impreza body and I ended up sitting them straight forward but had to make the hole oblong to fit them correctly and just glued them in place from the back, it actually turned out pretty good. But yes they do work the easiest when sitting flush.

yeah i saw them an they were wayyyy ugly ....

Quote Originally Posted by oreellyfool View Post
    Basically you want resistors in the range of 200-400ohm. One for each LED. Thin wire. The mcd rating on the LED is the biggest thing, the higher the number the brighter. So for rear reds I run 200-500mcd LED's and the front whites or blues I want them bright so I try to get over 1000mcd, however the downside to that is the LED's are more expensive but give it a solid look.
    Also if you are just trying to hook it up to a 9v battery they have holders and connectors for them there.
    The only other thing is the LED holders, they sell cheap little black ones which will make the bulbs less visable but the chrome expensive holders will make the lights project way better like an actual headlight. I recommend those if you want them to look like actual headlights. you do not need them for the rears.
    man thanks for all the info but i was at radio shack and between picking the right ones and resistors and stuff was just way to hard for me theres no way i coulda done that myself and put it all together my self....so im prolly just going to buy a kit....

RC Enthusiast
    No worries man, I remember the first one I did I stood at radio shack for literally an hour trying to think through what i was going to do. The employees kept coming up to me asking me if they could help and I would just look at them and tell them there is no way they could possibly help.
    Also by the time I bought all the parts I might have saved $10 over a cheaper kit. So with my time put into it I really did not save anything.
    However if you do buy a kit and find out you want brighter lights, you can just upgrade the bulbs in your kit...

RC Enthusiast
    here are some pictures of how I did. All the cables and diodes are attached by meltglue except the taillight they are attached by LED holders

http://img.villagephotos.com/imageview.aspx?i=27107549
    http://img.villagephotos.com/imageview.aspx?i=27107550
    http://img.villagephotos.com/imageview.aspx?i=27107551

RC Enthusiast
    That looks sweet, I like how you have the bulbs just facing down for effect.

RC Racer

RC poster
    This thread inspired me.

Just got mine!! Led lights installed!! and a video stock 6 cell.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGiarnbeIxM

RC poster
    Hey there,

Just want to make sure I am doing the same as I'm seeing in pics here...
    For the headlight LEDs, are people just cutting holes at the head light spot, then placing some clear plastic over where they mount the LEDs or do people leave it open?
    If it matters, I'd likely look to do the melt glue approach instead of the holders even though haven't used melt glue before.

Thx
    Steph

RC Racer
    Awesome work, that turned out great!
    Mini Summit / Rally

RC poster
    Lol that is the first thing I did to mine but used the light kits from e-flight
    http://s195.photobucket.com/albums/z...=VIDEO0003.mp4
    and this is the second thing I did with it lol
    If it aint broke your not trying hard enough.

RC poster
    Sorry that vid is of my revo
    If it aint broke your not trying hard enough.

RC Racer
    Thread revival!

Is there any way to turn the LED lights on or off through the transmitter? I have a transmitter from one of my other nitro trucks with a reverse switch...wonder if that could be used as a light switch?

This looks good, pedepoo. Can you post some pics of the inside of the body to show how you mounted them?