RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar

My Red Fiesta Big Block with a shaved chassis, dropped ESC with fan and hidden RX

Hey guys,
    Heres a final version of THIS chassis... i just got another chassis in the mail and im going to do the hidden electronics and dropped ESC a little cleaner... im also going to dye it black when its all done... this is what ill run for the time being.

Love the color! What rims are those?
    The Super Derecho

Thanks man.

HPI Work XSA Black and chrome... my favourites by far.

RC Enthusiast
    Are you just drifting, or do you run sticky tires too? If so, how do you keep from traction rolling with that big castle way up there. My vxl cant stay on its wheels unless i slow way down to turn. Ive tried everything I could think of other than offsetting the wheels a few mm.

The majority of the running I do is slower speed drifting. But I like to run 3s which is why I went with the big block. I havent run it yet as there's still a few feet of snow on the ground in my area. Hopefully by next week the snow may melt off a few parking lots and I can give her a good pull.

Hey Pave I have the same motor and esc, do I need the castle link to program it. I need to adjust the brakes and reverse. Do you have a fan on the esc? What heatsink is that on your motor?
    Thanks for the help

You need at least the program card... but in reality, by the time you buy the program card you can get the castle link adapter for less... thats what I use. I think its very important to have the actual castle link setup to really program the brakes... which is what I had the most trouble getting right in the beginning.

I dont have a fan connected to the ESC, but the fan you can see is mounted OVER the ESC so hopefully it helps. The heatsink on the motor is a traxxas part for the VXL motor... its just a 540 size heatsink. Very basic but it just slides right on.

I stole the wing from my KB and put it on my Fiesta... Looks sweet. These pics also show the red color a bit better. I cant WAIT for the snow to melt so I can FINALLY run this thing.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by pavmentsurfer View Post
    I stole the wing from my KB and put it on my Fiesta... Looks sweet. These pics also show the red color a bit better. I cant WAIT for the snow to melt so I can FINALLY run this thing.

Feel free to lend me any fiesta body while you wait on the weather pave
    Rally SV2/4600 and fully loaded

Its been a while since I updated this thread and alot has changed since the winter. First, I got rid of the Fiesta body and got a Camaro body... I also got the big block system installed... tested it and didnt like it... nor did I like the camaro body. So, ive already bought a NEW brushed Fiesta rally in blue... ill be putting that body on my rally and putting the lightly used camaro body on the brushed rally chassis and selling it (New chassis, radio, power system, wheels/tires etc... JUST a used body).

I also didnt like the big block 4600 combo so I sold that (kept the ESC) and bought a NEU 1112 2D or 2Y (im not sure which yet) and have installed but not tested it. Heres some pics of the chassis and motor... body donor car has not shipped from tower yet so I still need to wait for that. Ive also gotta find the wing somewhere for it...

RC Champion
    just curious...wheres the battery go? and why the shock mount changed in front?
    Hows that nitro taste on your electric?

So the motor is a 2D... which is great... 3250KV and its 4 pole so it should handle 3S without even flinching. The battery goes in the left hand battery tray with everything else in the right one. (looking from the rear)

The front shocks have a leveling plate on them... its meant to level teh shocks to prevent air build up (which does happen to these vehicles over time) With the 4600 combo I couldnt fit the rear one on but im going to try again with this new (neu) motor.

Just ran the car today and WOW... is this NEU motor ever sweet. Its so quiet and its just got endless power. Geared the same as what I had the 4600 geared... it stayed COOLER after a full 2S pack. The torque is better than the larger 4600 motor also. Top speed is significantly less due to the more than 1000kv lower rating... but the power is just WAY better. My ESC fan stopped working (stone stuck in it) and my one battery door broke off so I had to quite before i tried a 3S but the SV2 ESC seems to have an easier time with this motor than it did the 4600 as well... not sure if that makes sense or not.

Heres the biggest thing though, the lower CG and lower weight of this motor has brought back all the drifability the big block 4600 took away. The car slides predictably left and right and no longer wallows into the corners. It also tracks far straighter under power. Overall.... THIS is THE power system ive been searching for. I would have got a video.. but I have no camera operator... so I will soon.

Anyone have any ideas how to fix a battery door? The bottom hinge just snapped clean off. Probably duct tape will work for now... but thats ghetto. The only aftermarket doors I know of are integy aluminum. I may try a silver set.

RC Qualifier
    When I broke a battery door I just got a stock replacement cheap. I don't think the integy aluminum ones are the way to go, you would probably break the chassis then and that's more of a pain to replace.
    Rally SV2/4600 and fully loaded

Its not that I crashed or anthing, I just opened it and it fell right off... the plastic hinge just got worn out I guess... I think the integy versions have some sort of real hinge but ive never heard of anyone using them. I just taped it for this afternoon and it worked so I could run a 3S pack... which was sweet... so fast and the motor never went above 120... ESC stayed at 90 after I got my fan working again. This is a sweet setup and I am now happy... no need to change it.

RC Racer
    In your most recent pictures: It doesn't look like you are running the stock motor mount. Is this a direct replacement 1/16 motor mount with similar dimensions to stock? Did any modifications have to be made to run the neu motor? I have been thinking of doing a big block setup but have been worried about center of gravity issues. This seems like a good route to go. Huge power, small package.
    Last edited by SubieFan; 04-30-2011 at 09:52 PM.
    'Brushless...RCs Magnacharger'

The motor mount im using is a GHracing mount. I got it from tower hobbies for like $12. It doesnt do anything different than stock but look good. If I had it to do over id probably go with the integy mount because it has a bigger heat sink so it may or may not help dissipate heat better. Its arguable if it really does anything in that location.

I really didnt like my big block setup for drifting. For speed runs or just running around a parking lot im sure it would be fine but for actual drift style driving (which is what I enjoy) it really killed the handling of the car. The NEU motor is NOT cheap (even used... but thanks for the deal Tech10) but honestly, its got as much, if not MORE power than a full 36mm motor, just in a 26mm size.

The only mod I had to do was shave a tiny bit of plastic off the rear shock mount... it doesnt effect the mounts function at all... just needed a bit more space. Took me literally 10 seconds. Also, if you were going to keep the ESC in the same position (you WILL need a better than stock ESC mind you) the NEU motor seems to take up a bit more room than the stock motor on that side... but that could just be in my head. Its been a while since I had a stock motor and the big block mount does position the motor directly in the middle of the car. You can see in my pics, the NEU motor is positioned way to the right of centre... with a battery in the left it seems to balance very well.

RC Racer
    Good info. Thanks!
    'Brushless...RCs Magnacharger'

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by pavmentsurfer View Post
    Anyone have any ideas how to fix a battery door? The bottom hinge just snapped clean off. Probably duct tape will work for now... but thats ghetto. The only aftermarket doors I know of are integy aluminum. I may try a silver set.
    My solution was pretty simple. Cut a strip of black ribbon the length of the broken hinge. Super glue it along the length of the hinge. I saturated the strip to ensure a good bond. It'll be very stiff at first, but the glue will break down and form a nice smooth hinge.

I guess I need to have the title of the thread changed... this is now my BLUE Fiesta Rally.

I realize weve all seen a blue rally before... nothing new in this pic. But its an update on the car so im posting it. honestly man... what is UP with those rediculous stock Fiesta graphics. They are just silly. The car looks amazing with them GONE...

RC Champion
    what offset are the HPIs? 6mm, 9mm?
    Everything overpowered...

I believe the stock wheels are +3 offset and thats what the ones in the pic are. But ive used 0 offset also and they look fine. I have a set of +9 I bought for another car and they stick out WAY too far. I would imagine +6 would stick out too far also.

RC Qualifier
    Stock wheels are +4, so HPI in +3 is perfect. There are a few photos of +6 around here, they're pretty much flush and require a bunch of camber to tuck into the body. Waiting for RCMart to get some Spice brand wheels with +5 back in stock to try those out; probably the functional limit to offset.
    Last edited by prototyp; 05-12-2011 at 11:25 PM.
    The prototype project.