RC poster

Unhappy Motor/esc/prop size issues

I have just rebuilt my spartan and it caught fire do to the esc.(1st gen Spartan). Before I did a bunch a research I opted to get another updated traxxas speed control (powered by castle) this time as well as a motor. Now my question is I am running the stock prop and 2 6000mah 45c batteries, within minutes the wires from the speed control to the motor get extremely hot and actually desoilder the motor-side connectors.(almost melts the heatshrink and wore insulation etc.) I'm not really sure what to do here. I have upgraded to a dual rudder water pickup and larger hose 3.44mm and run one hose to the esc and the other to the motor. This seemed to help a tiny bit but it's still way too hot.

Should I be looking into a different prop? (size or pitch)
    Is the traxxas speed control not powerful enough?( would that cause the wires and motor to heat up extremely)

I'm lost with what to do now, I kept the same size motor as stock but higher Kv so I believe that makes me lose some "motor torque"

Thanks in advance

Sean

There are banned brand names that are removed by the language filter so please refrain from referencing them.
    Last edited by Double G; 06-08-2016 at 02:49 PM.

RC Qualifier
    i presume you are running 6s? how long are you running? from what i read they get hot quick at 6s.
    i run 4s and temp is not a problem. mine is stock. Don

RC poster
    Yes I run 6s setup, I think part of the issue was I went to a 2200kv motor. So higher rpm but less torque

RC Qualifier
    higher rpm also means larger load on motor and esc for same speed. I think stock is 1800kv , 1800 to 2200 is a big change.
    How long do you run before it gets hot? Get a cheap infra red thermometer and check temp after a few minutes.
    last time out I only ran for 3 minutes at 4s (testing a few things) motor temp was 86. Don

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by dontrinko View Post
    higher rpm also means larger load on motor and esc for same speed. I think stock is 1800kv , 1800 to 2200 is a big change.
    How long do you run before it gets hot? Get a cheap infra red thermometer and check temp after a few minutes.
    last time out I only ran for 3 minutes at 4s (testing a few things) motor temp was 86. Don
    It's literally almost instant... Less than a minute

I was trying to find a smaller prop but from what I have read the prop on the Spartan is relatively small for the size off the boat

RC Racer
    Any prop over stock [42X59] could cause heat.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by spartantamer View Post
    Any prop over stock [42X59] could cause heat.
    I only run The stock prop, is probably need a smaller one or same size less pitch, since the Kv is 2200 my Rpm is about 14,000 higher