RC Competitor

Got a some problems, Please help!

So, yesterday i went to start my slayer pro, and it would not start, thought the stater battery was dead... i charge it and today i try and start it, then i see some dark blue in the fuel line seen here: http://i.imgur.com/xfrru.jpg I cleaned that out put fuel in, it starts and goes.. then it dies then i restart it and it wants to just go, i made sure the servo was not sticking and it was not.. and then i rolled it backwards and it was making a noise it never made before, i think its coming from this area: http://i.imgur.com/eUKy5.jpg (in the red) i bring it inside and now im here, also the glow plug light was not coming on Pic here: http://i.imgur.com/Vngf8.jpg does that mean its bad?

So what do you guys think is wrong, i'm thinking of taking it to where i got my truck tomorrow (Thursday)

Thanks!

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Evan03 View Post
    Glow plug light not on most likely means the plug is bad. It may also mean the ez start battery is very dead.
    I've found my slayer pro is a rock magnet. Running on gravel I've got weird noises from little rocks rubbing agaisnt the gears and even had one wedge in the slipper deal and lock it up solid.

Just some things to check
    the ez start still have some power, and i dont see or hear any rocks i looked all over for rocks stuck

so i dont think its that.. thanks for the suggestions

RC Racer
    Are you using Traxxas fuel....Isnt it blue?....that looks like you have air in the line. Did you use the ez start and hold your finger over the exhaust for a few seconds until the fuel made it to the carb? The truck will make some noise if you reverse it...without hearing it its hard to say. You can pull the plug and connect wire then hold against carb..plug in ez start and see if it glows bright red all the way through. Doesn't mean it is good...but you can at least see if it's glowing. If it's firing and wanting to take off it could be the slipper clutch.
    Have you messed with needles? If so return to factory and start over....just some things I have been through.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by larlev View Post
    Are you using Traxxas fuel....Isnt it blue?....that looks like you have air in the line. Did you use the ez start and hold your finger over the exhaust for a few seconds until the fuel made it to the carb? The truck will make some noise if you reverse it...without hearing it its hard to say. You can pull the plug and connect wire then hold against carb..plug in ez start and see if it glows bright red all the way through. Doesn't mean it is good...but you can at least see if it's glowing. If it's firing and wanting to take off it could be the slipper clutch.
    Have you messed with needles? If so return to factory and start over....just some things I have been through.
    I am using traxxas 20% fuel, just got a gallon last week.., i always prime it by putting my finger on the exhaust, and i watched the fuel just go threw the gas tube. i have not messed with anything on it, other then the fuel adjuster... ill check the plug later...

RC Competitor
    If its wanting to take off, check your clutch spring. Easy, cheap fix!!!!
    Last edited by hotlead; 03-02-2011 at 09:28 PM.

RC Competitor
    but thats not the only thing, when i just roll it backwards its making noise i have never heard before, started after i started it today, i think im just going to take it to where i got it, its only about 2 and 1/2 months old

Hotlead hit it. Either the clutch spring or a clutch is bad. It may not make the sound if you roll it forward but when you roll the truck backward the OWB inside the transmission catches and causes the spur to spin. So what spins from there? The clutch bell.
    Try starting it with the tires off the ground and they will probably spin when starting the engine. The engine may run but as soon as you put it on the ground or come to a stop it will kill.
    Check the clutch.
    The Super Derecho

RC Racer
    Sounds like a bad glow plug... and could very well be a burnt clutch too. (the clutch shoes wear down to the point that the springs get damaged too leaving the clutch engaged all the time when the engine turns)

Another thing could be bad fuel. Never store the truck with fuel in the line or tank. I learned from truggy racing that the oil/fuel can separate or evaporate making starting impossible. Replace with fresh fuel.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Double G View Post
    Hotlead hit it. Either the clutch spring or a clutch is bad. It may not make the sound if you roll it forward but when you roll the truck backward the OWB inside the transmission catches and causes the spur to spin. So what spins from there? The clutch bell.
    Try starting it with the tires off the ground and they will probably spin when starting the engine. The engine may run but as soon as you put it on the ground or come to a stop it will kill.
    Check the clutch.
    yeah, i start it while holding it in the air it spins i set it down and it dies, if i remember right..

Quote Originally Posted by SilentWolv View Post
    Sounds like a bad glow plug... and could very well be a burnt clutch too. (the clutch shoes wear down to the point that the springs get damaged too leaving the clutch engaged all the time when the engine turns)

Another thing could be bad fuel. Never store the truck with fuel in the line or tank. I learned from truggy racing that the oil/fuel can separate or evaporate making starting impossible. Replace with fresh fuel.
    i got this before xmas and it rains a good amount of the time in the winter, so i can drive too much, it have about 1 hour of total drive time...

Replace the clutch and spring then worry about the glow plug and fuel. It's just like trying to start a manual tranny car (let's say without the safety switch installed). Keep the clutch engaged and try to start it, what happens? It wants to move. From what the OP has described in his posts it all points to the clutch remaining engaged. I have had it happen to me so I know the symptoms and the remedy.
    The Super Derecho

RC Competitor
    You can lead a horse to water.......

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by hotlead View Post
    You can lead a horse to water.......
    What you talking about??

So, i called traxxas they said its a Clutch Shoes/Spring that needs to be replaced, so a 6 dollar part and its not uncommon, in the first part of its life.

RC Competitor
    Glad you found the problem!!! Its a easy fix!!!