Thread: Johnson HC970

RC Racer

Johnson HC970

I have a couple of these and was wondering if anyone have succesfully fitted it onto their Summit? Due to the size of the motor it stands to reason that we will need to modify the motor plate quite a bit but it should be doable. The question is will it be worth it? i.e will it result in massive torque (I think it will) and higher top speed (perhaps) and less battery consumption (should be?)

Anybody?

RC Racer
    Didnt kershaw designs do a 970 motor in the summit? If i remember right it works but the esc overheated within 5 min. Looks pretty cool though give it a shot if you already have the motors!
    dewalt 14.4

A member here ran a kershaw 970 it caught on fire and burned up.they stoped making the 970 for that reason.but should be doable.just watch temps on motor,esc and more importantly the batt's.if you run nimh with that it will not be happy.
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Racer
    I can't see how it can react that violently unless they've overgeared it? I look at my Johnson 970 (not a Kershaw 970 that may have agressive winding) and it look tame, I was only thinking that it may have massive torque even without overvolting given the diameter of the rotor.

Do you have any photos of the installation?

Quote Originally Posted by tranworld View Post
    I can't see how it can react that violently unless they've overgeared it? I look at my Johnson 970 (not a Kershaw 970 that may have agressive winding) and it look tame, I was only thinking that it may have massive torque even without overvolting given the diameter of the rotor.

Do you have any photos of the installation?
    I believe you are right on that the kershaw had advanced timing i think and was aimed at making the revo faster so ya likely geared to the moon,but this was in a summit.also may have been over geared and under powered as in nimh instead of lipo.
    but they stopped making it either way.you should be fine if geared right and it should have torque.feed it lipo and it should be pretty torquey .The dewalt has pull a garden shed around the yard kind of torque.so i would think that one would have even more torque.The thread i used has no pic's any more..... but this one does yours will be similar but may need a bit more modding because of size but basically the same.. http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...t=dewalt+story
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Racer
    By the way the 970 motor from Kersham looks slightly smaller than my Johnson 970, mine is like this
    http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=760548
    eaxctly, with a copper colour thick steel body and a molded metal composite head

be sure to post up your results and of course pics.should be pretty straight forward with some tweaking
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Racer
    By the way, I noticed that both of you has Dewalt 14.4 on the bottom of your post, how is it? I am also considering fitting the Dewalt 14.4v, but I have been thinking, a Dewalt 14.4v motor cost about 31.95 +7.95 shipping=$39.9 plus you need to buy some pinion at may be 5+shipping. Kershaw Design has a single 700 HO conversion including choice of pinion for $45.99 + shipping, a difference of less than $10 and you have a ready made system. Whereas with the Dewalt one has to split the fitted pinion and modify the motor plate, the Kershaw fit right in. Question is which one is more powerful? The 700HO is listed as having 363W, that's quite a bit (also have the option of twin 700HO, wow that's a lot of power)

RC Racer
    Oh but I noticed also that the Dewalt has proper ball bearing whereas the 700HO is a simple bush, Dewalt it is then (unless I can fit the 970)

RC Racer
    I dont no much about the HO but the dewalt is a great option! I have the summit and it water proof and tons of power but not realy fast maybe a gain of 5mph. The thing is that summit works best at 25mph or less. A little more batt draw with the 14.4 but thats ok with the power gain and replaceable brushes!! If u get it from sears its 27 buck and if u can get store pick up its free shipping to the store! I found a local tool store that it was 29 with tax! Had it up to 200f and still runs had it in a pond still runs had it muddin and climin still runs! Not a bad deal for 29 bucks and 3 times better then stock!!
    dewalt 14.4

The twin 700 is faster but the motors are throw away and uses batt's pretty good.twice the weight and not as tough.The dewalt has been perfect not one single issue never run out of torque it's able to be overvolted and a range of gearing can be used.You can pop the brushes out of the way to get in and clean it good after water and mudding
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Racer
    The issue for the Dewalt 14.4 is that it's not available to non-US customers while Kershaw ships to Europe for $10 or so. The "396505-21" is $40 on ebay, unless other motors works as well but we are drifting aways from the 970 topic...

Better not tell anyone..LOL that i got one and i don't live in the states.i'm sure dewalt is thrilled that there tools can only be got in the states...Some one asked what the difference was i answered ...but what do i know
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Qualifier
    I tried to find one of those Johnson 970s before,that will rock the Summit.Just do not over gear it,start low and work up checking your temps.Also use a strong set of lipos 30c or better and you will not have any heat problems.I used the Kershaw which was faster than stock but lost some crawling power.The Dewalt 14.4 was great for crawling and faster than stock but uses a lot of battery power which is what the Johnson will do too.The motor mount mod will be easy just like for the Dewalt you will have to mark and drill new holes in the plate.Before I got my Tekin T8 I would have liked to get my hands on one of those very good Johnson motors which have been used in boats for years and loved by racers and scale boaters.Good luck!