RC Qualifier

Is it just me or does the rally vxls drive alot worse then the kenblocks?

The rallys body gives no downforce what so ever. So when i turn the car just goes flipping. Now my kenblock is a completely different story when driving... i dont get it.. And all my knuckles are good. so thats not why.

RC poster
    The Rally's tires have more grip, that's why the car rolls over in turns. The Ken Block has slicks so the car just slides instead of rolling over.

RC Champion
    I've noticed on my Fiesta seemed to stick a little better with the Ken Block wing installed, but the shape of the front bumper and flares should add a bunch of downforce too.
    https://www.instagram.com/greenjeep1998/?hl=en

RC Qualifier
    Im running onroad tires on both with the same rims on both btw. Not the drift wheels. I lowered the rally and it helped alot. Then i put a HUGE rear spoiler on it from one of my sti hpi bodys. And now its sticking to the ground. Hmm i knew that design was crap

RC Qualifier
    I rigged up a front splitter for my Rally and it made a pretty massive difference in handling. Need stiffer springs and a rear diffuser to balance things out...

RC Qualifier
    Any pictures?

RC Champion
    eeh Guys ??

Whats happening ??? are we doing anything wrong here (irony and confusion detected here)

My boy got a Rally yesterday...drifting round the malls empty parking lot. great fun car...
    It drifts great and is imposible to get to flip over,,,

had his MERV down there as well , boy that little truck flips all the time but the Rally just stays put..
    sucking to the floor
    Slightly Addicted

RC Qualifier
    I don't quite get how folks can be traction rolling the Rally, particularly on the slippy stock tires. Can only really be down to bad suspension setup and/or too much ride height. Or, maybe it's trying to do 90 turns at 50mph...

I've only traction rolled mine with fresh, unglued, X patterns and whack suspension settings (too much rear toe-out, too much height, not enough camber).
    The prototype project.

RC Champion
    I dont get it either.. cant barely roll over any of my ride height liftet ERBEs running tight slipper clutch and Lipo power and zero punch control on the Mamba Monsters unless I drive completely insane.... they seem to find the balance landing on all 4s again..
    the litte Rally just keeps sucking to the floor no matter how hard my kid turns it.... we ran 2 nimhs today and put in the the suplied pinion for extra speed in...man that little car is fun
    Slightly Addicted

RC Qualifier
    My rally was once a merv, but I made all the necassary conversions to make it exactly like the stock rally, and haven't rolled it once yet! And I run 2s and 3s lipos in it. I can be goin full speed and crank the "wheel" all the way, and all it does is go spinning out of control (with the stock bridgestone rally tires) no flipping.

RC Champion
    LOL yep tha-mule , dont no what they have done to their Rallys to make them flip :-)
    Slightly Addicted

RC Qualifier
    Haha, I guess to answer the original question "Is it just me or does the rally vxls drive alot worse then the kenblocks?" The answer is, YES! It is JUST you. Lol

RC Qualifier
    I'd like to look at an out-of-the-box KB and Rally side by side to see if they're being built with different suspension setups... The Rally body looks like it would allow more wheel travel (taller fenders) so perhaps the preload is dialed back vs the Block which might be running with more preload.
    The prototype project.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by tha-mule View Post
    Haha, I guess to answer the original question "Is it just me or does the rally vxls drive alot worse then the kenblocks?" The answer is, YES! It is JUST you. Lol
    :-) :-) :-)
    Slightly Addicted

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by prototyp View Post
    I'd like to look at an out-of-the-box KB and Rally side by side to see if they're being built with different suspension setups... The Rally body looks like it would allow more wheel travel (taller fenders) so perhaps the preload is dialed back vs the Block which might be running with more preload.
    Now I cant see too much on the Traxxas homepage but they look pretty identical and are described pretty identical when it comes to suspension also and the Rally like my son has does not allow for a lot of travel... but this started with I could not understand how it could flip when I read the thread.... and we still cant make it flip.. not even with two nimh cells and the gearing provided for 50 mph... no matter how hard we try
    Slightly Addicted

RC Qualifier
    Now lemmme ask you guys something. I own them. And drive them back to back. WITH onroad tires. BIG differance. I can post a pic with all 6 of my 1/16s

RC Qualifier
    "Pretty identical" isn't identical tho. A half a degree of rear toe can have a massive effect on handling (spinning out or not). I can do quite a bit of tuning by just changing preload on the spring (which changes ride height and camber)... again, a quarter turn of a pillow ball or a little change in the preload collar does impact handling. So while things may appear identical between two cars, the handling is going to be quite different.

Going back to aero, this /does/ make a difference as well. Pull the bodies off of both chassis and see how they go... Obviously the Rally and Block have very different tires (both can be considered "onroad" tires) so let's be clear about which ones are on which car.
    The prototype project.

RC Champion
    the question is still no matter what... with all respect ... I just got puzzled if you think the Rally flips compared to the Kenblock..
    We have the Rally not the Kenblock and no matter how we treat it it just does not flip over ...so thats why I wondered reading the thread. The first thread I came across, new to this forum right after we came home from having driving pretty fast for half an hour without anything but a good suck to the asphalt
    Slightly Addicted